2018 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I guess I wouldn't draft a quarterback for its own sake.  On a stacked team, Tannehill probably can win enough.  Meaning, he probably would have taken the Seattle legion of boom teams almost as far as Russell Wilson did.  

Yeah he’d do fine on a stacked team- Tannehill is a serviceable QB. You CAN win with him. You just need everything around him to work perfectly. If it doesn’t, Tannehill ain’t winning you the game by himself. And when sh!t goes bad, he goes bad right along with it. 

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So what the hell is going on with Tanneyhill? Adam Gase sounded pissed off about his injury as if either he was jaking it or he got hurt in some off field activity and didn’t want to say 

He hurt his shoulder in the Oakland game and it’s apparently gotten progressively worse. Gase was agitated probably because it was the third time in about five minutes that he was asked the same question about it. Of course, everything is a fvcking conspiracy now, so everyone is a professional language parser/body language reader and obviously Gase is hiding some grand secret about Tannehill he doesn’t want the world to know. 🙄

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

This defensive effort is something to be ashamed of

Disgusting. Matt Burke needs to go. Quite frankly, I’m starting to think Gase does too.  But if Ross fires people after this season, he’ll do his usual half measure bullsh!t of firing Grier and/or Tannenbaum and keeping Gase. If he fires people, just fire everyone and start over. This franchise is pathetic and going nowhere, as usual. 

Edited by MadDog2020

On 10/15/2018 at 11:44 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

So what the hell is going on with Tanneyhill? Adam Gase sounded pissed off about his injury as if either he was jaking it or he got hurt in some off field activity and didn’t want to say 

I will give Tannehilll this, he's tough as nails, so there's no way he's faking it.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Disgusting. Matt Burke needs to go. Quite frankly, I’m starting to think Gase does too.  But if Ross fires people after this season, he’ll do his usual half measure bullsh!t of firing Grier and/or Tannenbaum and keeping Gase. If he fires people, just fire everyone and start over. This franchise is pathetic and going nowhere, as usual. 

I would only cut bait with Gase if someone like Harbaugh became available, which Ross would do anyway.  In the end, Gase is currently a .500 coach who has had his starting QB miss something like 20+ games to injury and who has to the play the Patriots twice every year.  Over a similar period of time, I think the only coach in the AFC East that has done as well since the Brady/Belichik era began is Rex Ryan (maybe Herm Edward). 

I will say though that something needs to change with the team's drafting.  The current brain trust has at least two first round draft busts in Harris and Parker, and in that time there are maybe three or four players that are good or better: Tunsil, Howard, Drake and Jakeem Grant.   I suppose Minkah will be there too eventually.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I will give Tannehilll this, he's tough as nails, so there's no way he's faking it.

I would only cut bait with Gase if someone like Harbaugh became available, which Ross would do anyway.  In the end, Gase is currently a .500 coach who has had his starting QB miss something like 20+ games to injury and who has to the play the Patriots twice every year.  Over a similar period of time, I think the only coach in the AFC East that has done as well since the Brady/Belichik era began is Rex Ryan (maybe Herm Edward). 

I will say though that something needs to change with the team's drafting.  The current brain trust has at least two first round draft busts in Harris and Parker, and in that time there are maybe three or four players that are good or better: Tunsil, Howard, Drake and Jakeem Grant.   I suppose Minkah will be there too eventually.  

Rex started pretty well...won three out of his first five against the Pats, including the big upset up in NE that derailed a SB-hopeful team.  He didn't do a whole hell of a lot after that against them...he wound up 4-9 vs the Pats as the Jets head coach, and went 1-3 against them as the Bills HC.  His Bills win was the 16-0 win with Jacoby Brissett as the QB.  What was funny was so many times the Pats would just wax his teams, and he'd basically say "Oh yeah?  Well just wait 'till next time!"  Sure Rex...

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That game set offensive football back 20 years.

Be that as it may, I can't see the Dolphins losing either game to the Bills...that team is just dreadful right now.  That's 7 wins.  Then it's a question of can the Dolphins win three out of five of these games: @Green Bay, @Indy, home vs NE, @Minnesota, home vs Jacksonville.  It's not that farfetched to think that they could...Green Bay just seems like they're off yet again, Pats have dropped four of their last five games played in Miami, Jacksonville is imploding, and you never know what you're getting from Indy or Minnesota.  So I think five out of seven is a possibility for the Dolphins.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Be that as it may, I can't see the Dolphins losing either game to the Bills...that team is just dreadful right now.  That's 7 wins.  Then it's a question of can the Dolphins win three out of five of these games: @Green Bay, @Indy, home vs NE, @Minnesota, home vs Jacksonville.  It's not that farfetched to think that they could...Green Bay just seems like they're off yet again, Pats have dropped four of their last five games played in Miami, Jacksonville is imploding, and you never know what you're getting from Indy or Minnesota.  So I think five out of seven is a possibility for the Dolphins.  

There’s no way they are beating the Packers in Green Bay. Not a chance in hell. Also, they aren’t beating too many teams that aren’t Buffalo if Brock Osweiler is playing QB. I’m glad he didn’t make any mistakes yesterday, but that guy is just a flat-out BAD QB. Tannehill is nothing special, but the Dolphins need him back ASAP if they’re gonna make anything out of this season. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Sounds like Tannehill could be back after the bye week (from what I've seen online).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

One word: MIRACLE. I may not come down off this cloud I’m currently on until Wednesday. Absolutely incredible!!!!

Congrats man.  Crazy game.  Typical Genius defense.  Now you know why I don't ever trust the Pats D with the game on the line.  EVER.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Congrats man.  Crazy game.  Typical Genius defense.  Now you know why I don't ever trust the Pats D with the game on the line.  EVER.

Thanks brother. Insane game, certainly one of the most memorable Dolphins games in franchise history, and in the history of the Fins-Pats series. Gostkowski missing that PAT was the difference. I know they’ll probably go out and piss down their legs in Minnesota next week, but I’ll worry about that next week. Gonna savor this one til 1:00 next Sunday. 

Tannehill is now 13-7 over his last 20 starts. I know there's polarizing viewpoints on him as a QB among Dolphin fans.. but I think he is an above average signal caller, who has the ability to bloom late.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Tannehill is now 13-7 over his last 20 starts. I know there's polarizing viewpoints on him as a QB among Dolphin fans.. but I think he is an above average signal caller, who has the ability to bloom late.

At this point, I’m fine with holding onto him for at least another year, but they need to draft a QB. Tannehill is a decent QB- you can win games with him. But he’s not a franchise guy that will win those games by himself, ala Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc. He needs everything around him to be going well, or he struggles. He’s also banged up as hell between the shoulder, the knee, now the ankle- an insurance policy is needed, because while Tannehill was very durable the first four plus years of his careeer (he never missed a start between his rookie year in 2012 and December 2016, when he initially injured his knee), he’s become increasingly less durable since the knee injury. 

Edited by MadDog2020

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

At this point, I’m fine with holding onto him for at least another year, but they need to draft a QB. Tannehill is a decent QB- you can win games with him. But he’s not a franchise guy that will win those games by himself, ala Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc. He needs everything around him to be going well, or he struggles. He’s also banged up as hell between the shoulder, the knee, now the ankle- an insurance policy is needed, because while Tannehill was very durable the first four plus years of his careeer (he never missed a start between his rookie year in 2012 and December 2016, when he initially injured his knee), he’s become increasingly less durable since the knee injury. 

I get the sense that his injuries are not of the permanent sort.  From the sounds of it, he should have had ACL surgery back in 2016 and his ACL tear was basically the same injury.   But for that, he probably would have come back at some point in the early part of last season.  Most guys recover fine from ACL surgery, even running backs, so I'm not concerned with the knee.  The shoulder seems like something that gets better on its own and same with the ankle.  In other words, he's probably as beat up as an average NFL QB is.  And again, he's as tough as they get.

Obviously, he's not Brady, Rodgers or Brees, but he's also not Blake Bortles.  But I believe Gase when he says he believes in him, so maybe there's more there than we think.  So unless we really need the cap space next year, I'd hold on to him.  If there's a QB the Dolphins believe in in the draft, by all means take him.  Otherwise, he's a QB that can win a Super Bowl with a good team around him and if things break the right way.  That is, he's a better QB than Nick Foles or Peyton Manning when he was on his last legs and probably just as good as Joe Flacco ever was. 

The unfortunate thing is that when Brady and Belichik are finally gone, you could have two elite QBs in the division in Darnold and and Allen.  So maybe it would better to try and find truly game wrecking pass rushers than search for a unicorn QB.  We've already got a shutdown corner, a future all-pro swiss army knife d-back and an all-pro left tackle all of whom are still very young.

EDIT: Of course after a disastrous showing this weekend, I'll be signing a different tune.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...