GDT: Devils @ Tampa Game 5 4/21/2018 3:00 PM NBC, NBCSN

MadDog2020

cory played well in a loss down 3-1 ok lets not throw him a parade

the second goal was not good and could have been 1-1 in OT

just saying in my opinion, the team plays awkward in front of him to

im not a ginger hater...i just dont think hes proved anything; hes won one game this year.

Edited by lazer

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

???

Calls were pretty harsh today, missed Hedman spearing, and Kucherov didn't get supplemental discipline for injuring Vatanen.

None of that made an ounce of difference in the outcome of this series; hence, nobody got screwed. 

2 minutes ago, lazer said:

im not a ginger hater...i just dont think hes proved anything; hes won one game this year.

Idk how anyone could watch that game and not say Cory played phenomenal. You saw Tampa had like 10 PP’s right? Score could have very easily been 5 or 6. 

3 minutes ago, lazer said:

The second goal was through a screen of about 6 players, wasn’t it?

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s one of the huge positives to come out of this series for us- Cory showed he’s back, and showed he’s capable of upping his game in a big spot. Those aren’t small developments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly hope so, because my draft chant is defenseman, defenseman.  Hopefully not a goalie 

See yah Brian b, drew D and Michael B

4 minutes ago, lazer said:

Cory has been awesome this series and has shown he found his game back, which is really encouraging. Don't think we watched the same game/series. Cory had like 6 PP's against him today and made like 4-5-6 HUGE saves. 

I guess he should post a shutout every game??

8 minutes ago, lazer said:

cory played great in a loss...all im saying is the 2nd goal went in untouched and if not we could be in OT

Or if Zajac scored at the end there instead of a swing and a miss. Or probably a hundred other things that didn’t happen that were more unsettling than a goalie not seeing a shot while completely screened. 

7 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Cory had like 6 PP's against him today

How he spends his free time is none of our business. ;)

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

None of that made an ounce of difference in the outcome of this series; hence, nobody got screwed. 

How do you know that? That is complete conjecture stated as fact and is not ascertainable and nor did I conclude otherwise. And even if it didn't make a difference in outcome, that does not follow logically to, "nobody got screwed." Nor did I draw a specific causation due to those actions, I just said, "Devils got screwed." 

RECAP

• Perfect example of a game why you don't simply allow teams to possess and shoot the puck from the perimeter.
    • All 3 goals scored in this game came from low danger shots.
  • Overall, they battled hard all series.
  • Tampa was the only team that the Devils were truly overmatched against.
    • Boston or Pittsburgh would have been the best matchups for the Devils.
    • Washington, Philly, or Columbus would have been tough, but are beatable teams.
    • Tampa was basically a no chance matchup.
  • Schneider's play in the series makes me feel confident he can bounce back next season.
  • Next season we need, the following.
    • A new system that is centered around constant pressure on the puck
    • A true number 1 d-man, preferably a LHD, although I won't say no to Erik Karlsson.
    • Zacha to not wait until the All-Star break to turn his game on.
      • Overall though he's gotten better in each season
    • Schneider to bounce back.
    • A 2nd line center

GOALS AGAINST RECAP

• Goal 1
    • Zajac needs to either ice it or flip that puck out.
    • No chance for Schneider
  • Goal 2
    • Similar to the 1st goal
    • Not as much of a screen, but still a screen.
    • More saveable than the 1st goal

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 42 to 38
  • ES FF: 29 to 32
  • ES SF: 23 to 25
  • ES SCF: 19 to 17
  • ES HDCF: 9 to 4
  • All CF: 47 to 59
  • All FF: 34 to 51
  • All SF: 27 to 38
  • All SCF: 20 to 31
  • All HDCF: 10 to 7

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 35.39 to 38.25
  • FF: 25.29 to 31.68
  • SF: 19.43 to 24.58
  • SCF: 14.97 to 17.06
  • HDCF: 7.08 to 3.99

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Or if Zajac scored at the end there instead of a swing and a miss. Or probably a hundred other things that didn’t happen that were more unsettling than a goalie not seeing a shot while completely screened. 

If Zajac doesn't create a horrible turnover on Sergachev's goal it's 1-1 lol. Millions of possibilities.

Just now, Neb00rs said:

How do you know that? That is complete conjecture stated as fact and is not ascertainable and nor did I conclude otherwise. And even if it didn't make a difference in outcome, that does not follow logically to, "nobody got screwed." Nor did I draw a specific causation due to those actions, I just said, "Devils got screwed." 

Disagree, to “get screwed” something has to happen as a result. But if that’s how you see it, I get where you are coming from. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

id have to watch again but he wasnt screened it was from the blue line...the 1st goal is getting confused here

23 minutes ago, ilzz89 said:

Tampa faster to every puck, Zajac was awful, Greene as well, hopefully younger and tougher lineup next year, being outhit by tampa is sad...

I really hope Greene and Zajac aren't on this team in 2020.  I know both will be back next year unfortunately 

Just now, lazer said:

id have to watch again but he wasnt screened it was from the blue line...the 1st goal is getting confused here

I think he was. I’d double check but I already deleted the game in anger lol. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

The Devils scored 1 goal in each of the last 2 games. Goaltending was not the issue. 

Yup. The only goaltending issue was 10 goals in the first two games. Which wasn’t entirely a goalie issue, either. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Zajac can still be a very useful player. Greene not so much. 

Agreed.

I’m afraid all you can hope for is that Greene would retire, otherwise he’ll be here collecting checks. 

Unless they can buy him out, but I don’t fully understand all of the cap implications from that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I really hope Greene and Zajac aren't on this team in 2020.  I know both will be back next year unfortunately 

I actually think there's a pretty decent chance Greene is bought out. I'm not fully aware of the rules regarding buyouts, but Shero definitely considers it if he can.

Edited by Devs3cups