GDT: Devils @ Tampa Game 5 4/21/2018 3:00 PM NBC, NBCSN

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, EdgeControl said:

Yup, travis had a decent series.. he's not easy to play against.. just not a lamp lighter, consistently.. not a problem 

He plays his shutdown role better than most in the league. The guy isn't perfect and the people that love to complain come out any chance they get. I'll always defend him when merited, he is an unsung hero and he stayed while so many were jumping ship.

41 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

On one hand, the Devils got screwed by the refs and the league this series.

On the other, they also got outplayed by Tampa, who is the #1 seed in the EC after all. I also thought Hynes was outcoached by a large margin in this series, even in our own house. Though, Cooper did have a lot more weapons to work with.

Yeah, I thought that about Hynes as well. Hopefully he'll learn from it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• Perfect example of a game why you don't simply allow teams to possess and shoot the puck from the perimeter.
    • All 3 goals scored in this game came from low danger shots.
  • Overall, they battled hard all series.
  • Tampa was the only team that the Devils were truly overmatched against.
    • Boston or Pittsburgh would have been the best matchups for the Devils.
    • Washington, Philly, or Columbus would have been tough, but are beatable teams.
    • Tampa was basically a no chance matchup.
  • Schneider's play in the series makes me feel confident he can bounce back next season.
  • Next season we need, the following.
    • A new system that is centered around constant pressure on the puck
    • A true number 1 d-man, preferably a LHD, although I won't say no to Erik Karlsson.
    • Zacha to not wait until the All-Star break to turn his game on.
      • Overall though he's gotten better in each season
    • Schneider to bounce back.
    • A 2nd line center

GOALS AGAINST RECAP

• Goal 1
    • Zajac needs to either ice it or flip that puck out.
    • No chance for Schneider
  • Goal 2
    • Similar to the 1st goal
    • Not as much of a screen, but still a screen.
    • More saveable than the 1st goal

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 42 to 38
  • ES FF: 29 to 32
  • ES SF: 23 to 25
  • ES SCF: 19 to 17
  • ES HDCF: 9 to 4
  • All CF: 47 to 59
  • All FF: 34 to 51
  • All SF: 27 to 38
  • All SCF: 20 to 31
  • All HDCF: 10 to 7

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 35.39 to 38.25
  • FF: 25.29 to 31.68
  • SF: 19.43 to 24.58
  • SCF: 14.97 to 17.06
  • HDCF: 7.08 to 3.99

Devils vs Tampa was a no chance match up? What a load of rubbish. Going into the series they'd beaten Tampa 3-0. Did the Devils have no chance on those games either?

• Like 1

They just didn't have it today besides Schneider.  sundstrom said it in the chats but it's easy to forget this team basically played playoff hockey down the stretch for the last 6 weeks.  Tampa did a great job on Hall and Hischier isn't there yet.  We can get into who played well and who didn't but most of the team didn't play well and the 4-1 series loss is probably deserved.

That said, proud but not satisfied is exactly the attitude - this team was not picked to win anything, and while they got some good breaks, I don't think they're as bad as certain people think.  The worst thing Shero can do is try to bring back the same team but I suspect he won't.  There's improvements that need to be made and the system won't take care of it.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Triumph said:

sundstrom said it in the chats but it's easy to forget this team basically played playoff hockey down the stretch for the last 6 weeks. 

This, it's just hard to bring 110% every game for 2 months...  Hynes whipped the mule bloody...  need some snipers  and a ton of D

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Stamkos also said something like oh guess we showed that the regular season doesn't mean much since we lost to them all 3 times.

I hope Marchand runs that injury prone fvck head and knocks him out next round. 

Let's go bruins!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

Let's go bruins!

I never had an issue with the Bolts till now, largely due to Coooper's "he just flexed his muscles" comment regarding Kucherov's hit on Vats. Utter bullsh*t. But I get it, they'e the toast of the town right now so it's time to be arrogant pricks. Go Bruins!

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I'd say we just need some D and maybe a 3rd and 4th liner.

Need a 2C (can’t wait on Zacha forever), and a top pair D to play with Vatanen. Hopefully Shero goes all in for Carlson. 

• Like 5

All I have to say is thank you Devils for making my favorite sport fun again. Thanks for all the unforgettable memories. I will forever hold this season in high regard.

What a ride. Here's to taking more steps forward next year after this year's gigantic leap.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ilzz89 said:

I was impressed with Nico, hes grown so much since his 1st game of the season.

For sure. The high end skill was there from day one, but some of the puck battles he won down the stretch vs guys like Kessel and Malkin were really impressive. Night and day difference from the start of the season. 

• Like 1

This was a wonderfully surprising season: Hall's resurgence, Nico being drafted, getting Vatanen and losing Henrique (wish we kept him as well) and young Devils getting a taste of playoffs ... Noeson (didnt know he was 1st round pick), Jesper (hopefully he becomes consistent), Coleman/Gibbons, etc.

We know we have dead weight on this team, I would like to see the following:

- Zajac should be traded, for 5.75 we can get so much more offense (Wild would be a good destination)

- Greene: I would buy him out, he is not worth 5 million

Let walk: Hayes/Clowe/Grabner/Stafford/Moore

Re-sign: Maroon

Unsure: Gibbons (he was good at the start, he is also 31 now, so ???)

Offseason moves: Possibly sign Tavares and John Carlson, trade Zajac to Wild, buyout Greene, hope Boyle resigns or just buy him out

Edited by Anhkheg

21 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

This was a wonderfully surprising season: Hall's resurgence, Nico being drafted, getting Vatanen and losing Henrique (wish we kept him as well) and young Devils getting a taste of playoffs ... Noeson (didnt know he was 1st round pick), Jesper (hopefully he becomes consistent), Coleman/Gibbons, etc.

We know we have dead weight on this team, I would like to see the following:

- Zajac should be traded, for 5.75 we can get so much more offense (Wild would be a good destination)

- Greene: I would buy him out, he is not worth 5 million

Let walk: Hayes/Clowe/Grabner/Stafford/Moore

Re-sign: Maroon

Unsure: Gibbons (he was good at the start, he is also 31 now, so ???)

Offseason moves: Possibly sign Tavares and John Carlson, trade Zajac to Wild, buyout Greene, hope Boyle resigns or just buy him out

So why exactly would someone else want Zajac for $5.75 million then, based on what you're saying?  

Zajac's offense did pick up after a very slow start.  He's not worth his cap hit, but I think he can be a solid defensive presence while putting up 40+ points.  You can do worse.  

Not sure what Shero does with Greene, but he's gotta be minimized next season.  Just too many maddening moments from him this past season.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So why exactly would someone else want Zajac for $5.75 million then, based on what you're saying?  

Zajac's offense did pick up after a very slow start.  He's not worth his cap hit, but I think he can be a solid defensive presence while putting up 40+ points.  You can do worse.  

Not sure what Shero does with Greene, but he's gotta be minimized next season.  Just too many maddening moments from him this past season.

I know Zajac's salary is a jam plus he has an NTC,  so I agree tough to get rid of him unless we take some of the hit. Wild seems to be the only possible destination because of his chemistry with Zach, other than that, I think we're pretty much stuck with him.

Just finished watching my DVR. Stellar game by Cory and the worst overall game of the series by the team. We expected the gutsy battle and they simply didn't show up although Cory kept them in the game till the last minute. On a positive note, that was hell of a season for a team that wasn't even thought to have a sniff of the playoffs. With all the improvement we are clearly the least talented team that made the playoffs. However, we didn't look all that bad against one of the best teams in NHL loaded with elite players. It's Taylor Hall who carried us into the playoffs and he should wear C next year. I'm sure Shero will be busy in off season and we'll be even better next year. I'm not ready to discuss trades and picks and I don't disagree with other posters who want Greene, Lovejoy, Hayes and Stafford out. Not sure about Moore, Gibbons and Grabner. Think Zajac should stay. 

Anyway, it was a good season fellas, the season that certainly exceeded the expectations. Go Devils.

• Like 1