GDT: Devils @ Tampa Game 5 4/21/2018 3:00 PM NBC, NBCSN

MadDog2020

12 hours ago, slasher72 said:

The closest we ever came to trading Zajac was when Lou became GM of the Leafs and he showed some interest, but Shannahan squashed it. No other GM would trade for Zajac at 5.75m. He's simply not worth it and we're stuck with him at that ridiculous salary until 2021-22 with a NTC I believe.  Zajac, Greene, and Severson are hopefully the last of the Lou/Conte mistakes we need to deal with (and yes I'd package Zacha - a Conte mistake - in  a deal. Just steer away from 30+ yr old players. We need to keep the quick, fast, youth movement going that Ray established). 

There is always a way to trade a player, is it easy? No. Especially, in the case of Zajac, we have to work around his NTC clause and may have to chew up a chunk of his salary, but it is possible. Now considering all this, Shero has to figure out a team Zajac may be willing to go to and a team willing to take him. One possible destination looked like the Wild considering his history with Parise.

15 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Just need to keep progressing and not have a regression year. The leafs avoided it. The Avs a few years ago did not. 

Those teams were very different and the Devils have a lot more in common with the Avs than Leafs.

5 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

There is always a way to trade a player, is it easy? No. Especially, in the case of Zajac, we have to work around his NTC clause and may have to chew up a chunk of his salary, but it is possible. Now considering all this, Shero has to figure out a team Zajac may be willing to go to and a team willing to take him. One possible destination looked like the Wild considering his history with Parise.

Sure, trading Zajac is no problem but you'd have to pay someone to take him. And then fill the center spot with someone.

Edited by Marshall

7 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

Would MIN want to take him?  And do they have the cap space?  They have an awful lot of big contracts.

44 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Me either. Does he make too much? Sure. He’s still really good defensively though, and you have to have some veterans on the team. 

I agree.  The guy's a good teammate through and through, and he's a good lockerroom presence for some of the younger guys.  He played fine defensively the last couple of games.  We all wish he would put the puck in the net more, but he's not exactly a deterrent to the team like some other guys are.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Me either. Does he make too much? Sure. He’s still really good defensively though, and you have to have some veterans on the team. 

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

It isn’t, and there shouldn’t be. Zajac brings solid value. His contract isn’t even remotely “terrible”, and his defensive awareness and ability make him an invaluable part of this team.

The whole "he's really good defensively" argument was not compelling to me when he was our first line center. It is now. And while he may (or may not) be overpaid for what he brings, his contract is definitely not terrible, and hasn't made an ounce of difference since we are nowhere near the cap. To look at him and say "he shouldn't get $5.75M" is one thing, but is it a "bad contract"? I don't believe so. 

• Like 1

This season Zajac got pushed down the depth chart to 3rd line C, which is where he should be.  Is he overpaid?  Yes.  Is it hurting the team?  No, so it is not really an issue right now.  By the time it might become an issue the buyout option will be a bit less daunting.

I think we should be more concerned about Zacha being a 2nd line C.  He really hasn't shown anything to me that he deserves to be there.  That is a spot where I hope maybe McLeod can take in the near future.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think we should be more concerned about Zacha being a 2nd line C.  He really hasn't shown anything to me that he deserves to be there.  That is a spot where I hope maybe McLeod can take in the near future.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s nice he’s showing to be at least solid defensively but a 2C needs to put up points. Period. 

2017-24 points

2018- 25 points 

That’s brutal...

28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This season Zajac got pushed down the depth chart to 3rd line C, which is where he should be.  Is he overpaid?  Yes.  Is it hurting the team?  No, so it is not really an issue right now.  By the time it might become an issue the buyout option will be a bit less daunting.

Yup. I suspect Zacha could be elsewhere by the time October rolls around. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t see it as a priority at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Because, not only for the reasons discussed above, but what the fvck do you think you get in return for a 32 year old Travis Zajac at $5.75m? You'd either have to eat salary, which defeats the purpose, or get a sh!tty return. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. Because, not only for the reasons discussed above, but what the fvck do you think you get in return for a 32 year old Travis Zajac at $5.75m? You'd either have to eat salary, which defeats the purpose, or get a sh!tty return. 

Over his last five seasons (371 GP), Zajac's averaged 15 G and 26 A per 82 GP, and won 53.0% of his faceoffs.  In three of those seasons his offensive numbers really weren't that bad (averaged just over 47 points per 82 GP in those years), and he did put up 19 points in his last 30 GP this year.  He's now playing a little less time per game, which is a good thing, given his age. 

I really don't think his still being here is such a bad thing...yes, he's overpaid, but as long as he can stay healthy and not decline too much, and he's not asked to do more than he should, he can still find ways to help the Devils. 

But your post is 100% right.  You're likely taking another bad salary back.  Shero could possibly buy Zajac out after the 2019-20 season if so inclined...Cammalleri will only have one year left on his buyout deal at that point.  But who knows...by then Shero may have already bought out Greene's last year.   

Was a disappointing afternoon Saturday, but I can't get too down on these guys. They weren't even expected to make the playoffs. Hope they enjoyed the taste and come back even hungrier next season.

As for the rest of the playoffs, I will watch to see somebody put this punk-ass bitch Tampon Bay team in their fvcking place like the whiny bitches they are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But your post is 100% right.  You're likely taking another bad salary back.  Shero could possibly buy Zajac out after the 2019-20 season if so inclined...Cammalleri will only have one year left on his buyout deal at that point.  But who knows...by then Shero may have already bought out Greene's last year.   

In a world where buying out one means not buying out the other, I'm buying out Andy Greene all day long. And I will go as far as to say that nobody should have the opposite opinion. :) 

• Like 1