John Hynes in Review

Neb00rs

Okay so this is not a hate thread or an appreciation thread. I just thought after three seasons I'd see what everyone's opinions are on the guy and if they'd like to have him stay around for the coming years. 

He's 110-105-31 through three seasons with the team. Two seasons the team under-performed and one season they over-performed.

His teams have finished 7th, 8th, and 5th in the Metropolitan respectively. The year we made the playoffs we got destroyed but this team is young, missing a lot of pieces, and faced one of the best teams in the league in the TB Lightning.

He seems to have gotten the very best out of Taylor Hall and Nico is really coming along quite well. Additionally, he helped convince Butcher to join the team. He himself seems like a really good guy, which I suppose adds to his likability factor.

So that all said, does anyone here see this team eventually winning it all with Hynes? I think most of me feels like we can be optimistic given that things seem to be trending in the right direction but a poor year next year and he could be on the hot seat. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I believe they could win it all with Hynes behind the bench. It's possible, they would need the horses to do it but it's possible. He's got the team to punch above it's weight 2 out of 3 years. I like that he is young and in tune with the style of play that has taken over the last few years.

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie
  • Like 1

One season the team underperformed - not two. His first season I think most were happy with how "well" the team did considering the team that was iced...  

The players really seem to respect him and what he has to say & he seems to respect them as well. Also, he seemingly pushed the right buttons down the stretch too. 

Hall really seems to get on well with him. And he was a big part of the reason we signed Butcher. 

I think his lineup decisions were pretty spot on this year (for the most part). 

He should definitely be around next year IMO. I don't look further than the coming year - so much can happen. And I do believe they can win with him behind the bench. 

He obviously has the ability to get the best out of players (Hall), isn't afraid to bench under performing players (too many to mention), prepared to give young players a chance if they deserve it (Bratt) and the team pretty much always gives 100% for him.

I thought he was maybe too slow to make in game adjustments against Tampa (Cooper is a really, really good coach though imo) and I've often disliked the power play set up.

Overall I'm glad he's the coach and I'd like to see how he does next season and hopefully another visit to the play offs. Beyond that? One season at a time imo.

• Like 2

Hynes has a bit of Terry Collins in him tbh...a guy who's a leader and well respected in the locker room but not really the best x's and o's guy.  You can have a certain level of success with that type of coach but ultimately he's gonna have to learn to make adjustments and get better at x's and o's and lineup decisions to be the coach to take the team to the next level.

I don't agree with the OP that they underperformed two seasons though, the first season was definitely in the overperformed category.  Of course there's a big step between getting younger teams with no expectations to overachieve and getting the most out of talented teams with expectations.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Hynes has a bit of Terry Collins in him tbh...a guy who's a leader and well respected in the locker room but not really the best x's and o's guy.  You can have a certain level of success with that type of coach but ultimately he's gonna have to learn to make adjustments and get better at x's and o's and lineup decisions to be the coach to take the team to the next level.

I don't agree with the OP that they underperformed two seasons though, the first season was definitely in the overperformed category.  Of course there's a big step between getting younger teams with no expectations to overachieve and getting the most out of talented teams with expectations.

Agree. However, assistants play a much bigger role in hockey than football. Running the PP/PK. Drawing up the plays. If he can consistently surround himself with quality assistants, he will be in good shape. 

• Like 1

I like him. I think we could win it all with him if he continues to implement this young, hard, fast, structure and style of play him and Shero want to implement. He seems well respected in the room and he also seems to be in touch with the guys and know how to bring the best out of them. He also holds most guys accountable which is a good thing. Again, I like him and he definitely is a good fit. 

Note the part about Hynes at the end... 

Hey #NowWeRiseNHL_2017_2018_NJDevils_v2.png fans. Be proud of the excitement & huge strides your team made. Jersey has solid ownership & is in great hands w/ Ray Shero, who's done a masterful job reestablishing the @NJDevils as a perennial contender. John Hynes is already one of the best coaches in the gm.

• Like 2

Due to his AHL experience, he seems to do really well with the younger players.  What has surprised me is how highly the older players genuinely like him and have bought in to what he is trying to accomplish.  With a solid draft, who knows what is possible for this group?  Tom Petty sang "Learning to Fly."  Remember 1994 and all that disappointment?  Also remember what happened in 1995!  Anything is possible; just believe it!  We are just learning to fly....

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think there was a point during the 2015-16 season where it became, "We are playing as well as we can." But, I don't think that was the mindset going in.

In any case, agreed on the x's and o's. He seems to get out-coached on the ice quite a bit but it's hard to tell how just how much because often times he has been playing with less weapons in front of him than the other team. Cooper was WAY ahead of him this series, but he also has a team with all the pieces and more.

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

I think there was a point during the 2015-16 season where it became, "We are playing as well as we can." But, I don't think that was the mindset going in.

In any case, agreed on the x's and o's. He seems to get out-coached on the ice quite a bit but it's hard to tell how just how much because often times he has been playing with less weapons in front of him than the other team. Cooper was WAY ahead of him this series, but he also has a team with all the pieces and more.

The Devils played so much better at home, not just because of the home ice but because of the last change. When Hynes got the matchup he wanted things went a lot better. This season was a great bit of growth for everyone. I'm so excited and incredibly grateful that I finally had something to root for this year. 

Nico seems to appreciate him too FWIW: 

Hischier said he learned a lot from Hynes in his first season and looks is ready to take the next step toward what appears to be a promising future with the Devils.

"[Hynes] taught me a lot ... how to be a self-starter," Hischier said. "Those things you need to do when you have back-to-back games. There's no coach who can help you be ready the next day, so you've got to do for yourself those little details that get you ready to play your best game. Like I said, from the players to the coaching staff, this was a great year and I'm really proud of my first NHL season."

https://www.nhl.com/news/nico-hischier-ready-for-bigger-better-things-in-future/c-298188930

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Nico seems to appreciate him too FWIW: 

Hischier said he learned a lot from Hynes in his first season and looks is ready to take the next step toward what appears to be a promising future with the Devils.

"[Hynes] taught me a lot ... how to be a self-starter," Hischier said. "Those things you need to do when you have back-to-back games. There's no coach who can help you be ready the next day, so you've got to do for yourself those little details that get you ready to play your best game. Like I said, from the players to the coaching staff, this was a great year and I'm really proud of my first NHL season."

https://www.nhl.com/news/nico-hischier-ready-for-bigger-better-things-in-future/c-298188930

What a great endorsement.  I am sure many of the players, especially the younger ones, would say something similar.  His players really do like him.

• Like 1

Adding a quote from Maroon today at breakup (FWIW, he sounds open to coming back):
New Jersey Devils‏ Verified account @NJDevils
Maroon on Hynes: “I’ve never seen a team respond to a coach the way that this team did to him.”

I hope Big Pat sticks around, really like what he brought to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maroon is an interesting case - he is so terribly slow and is just not in the mold of what this team wants to do. but he works on the PP, is very strong on the boards, and is an underrated passer.

if we didn't have boyle (yes center vs wing), i'd say go for it. I just don't love the idea of two lumbering slow guys you have to deal with. plus marron is likely going to get a 3 or 4 year deal between $3MM and $4MM a year. THOSE are the deals that kill teams when it comes to the cap. Giving Hall $10MM and Nico $8MM and someone like a Tavares $11MM - that's fine and that's what you should do. It's the fringe players getting too much where you get into trouble.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

maroon is an interesting case - he is so terribly slow and is just not in the mold of what this team wants to do. but he works on the PP, is very strong on the boards, and is an underrated passer.

if we didn't have boyle (yes center vs wing), i'd say go for it. I just don't love the idea of two lumbering slow guys you have to deal with. plus marron is likely going to get a 3 or 4 year deal between $3MM and $4MM a year. THOSE are the deals that kill teams when it comes to the cap. Giving Hall $10MM and Nico $8MM and someone like a Tavares $11MM - that's fine and that's what you should do. It's the fringe players getting too much where you get into trouble.

Valid argument, you can really only have one of those guys on a team in today’s NHL. 

My gut says Maroon will be elsewhere but we shall see. 

Edited by mfitz804

7 hours ago, sundstrom said:

What you're saying, stated another way, is that what makes Maroon not fit the mold of the team also makes him what the team is somewhat lacking - not the slow part, but the strong big body who wins pucks. No offense to Brian Boyle but some of things Maroon did along the boards and in front of the net had me going, "Finally!" Of course, he did some boneheaded things too.  I'm not against re-signing him but I'm also not thrilled with having both Boyle and Maroon on the ice together every night. It starts to change the mold. 

I get the sense that Hynes really likes to have good locker room guys around a la Jimmy Hayes. It seems to me that Maroon is really well liked around the league, especially by his current and former teammates.