John Hynes in Review

Neb00rs

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For those wondering about Maroon, I kind of hope the Devils are more inclined to kick the tires on Rick Nash.  I wouldn’t get into a bidding war, but something like the Eric Staal deal with Minnesota would be very interesting. 

Wouldn’t you rather have JVR? 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Wouldn’t you rather have JVR? 

Pretty much what MD said.  Nash I expect will be relatively cheap.  Something like three or four years with an AAV of between 3 and 4 million.  Perhaps even fewer years.  JVR will probably get six years at 6 million AAV on the low side.

Ultimately my hope is that Shero is in for one mega deal for someone currently not in the organization.  I’m hoping Tavares just because you don’t have to trade anyone to get him, unlike someone like Karlsson who might also require you to take an albatross like Bonny Ryan. 

• Like 1

He's pretty meh. 

I like that players respect him, play hard for him and he's obviously a great recruiter. 

I just can't help but to feel that NJ respected TB too much in the first game and a half. They hardly forechecked and got away with their team identity that got them to the postseason. I know he doesn't have the horses the opposition had but still. 

I also can't help but to feel that he values "grit" too much. I 100% agreed with Bratt sitting for a few games at the end of March. However, when you have Miles Wood doing jack **** for months at a time and Bratt actually looking dangerous in his limited time since being scratched, I just don't get his reasoning. Wood hadn't gotten a breakaway since God knows when, is poor on the cycle and was botching passes all over the place. This is a minor quibble, but....

Sounds like Hynes may be around for awhile too... 

New Jersey Devils Verified account @NJDevils

Shero on Hynes' greatest attribute: I wanted a coach who was smart, talented and willing to learn and grow. That growth will lead to long term stability...I was looking for three attributes. A coach who can teach, inspire and discipline. John has those qualities.

• Like 1

No

I haven’t studied him because I’m not that into it - I’m not focused.  Remember my initial impression of Stevens was an immodest blabber mouth (false modesty and felt he felt very physically striking  - I understood it after actually paying attention).  

Hynes He likes hockey. He knows the game as I know it.  I’m not feeling it though. Potential, I do feel.  I cannot speak to something specific missing ....   but it IS missing and he’s not open to growing in a way that a Pat Burns is.  It’s something spastically driven I’m just not seeing. I don’t see him get on the scent of a game like a dog.   I don’t see need to constantly grow. He’s just what he is.  He’s not puzzle solving.  He’s open to the idea that a solution might not be there and at the true end of the day he’s OK with that.  There’s just not that deeply imbedded relentlessness. He’s also not fast enough. He’s in control. His brain kind of — it’s got to get out of control fast where you don’t quite follow - this is what is required to start on a bottom rung and move to the top progressively to actually win not merely get close.  It’s not smart.  It’s processing speed WITH accompanying accuracy.  Can you tell I have a teenager or what? So HARD to have a jovial goof off for a daughter.  Need smash head against wall smilie.  Ok. There. You’ve been Pepperkorned.  

Bye :-D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Apologies to those who wanted some of the Assistant Coaches removed... 

New Jersey Devils ‏Verified account @NJDevils 

Hynes on his coaching staff: "We have a incredible staff...As of now they are coming back and I think they did an excellent job this year."

It's Ward that coaches the PP isn't it? That definitely needs an overhaul imo. It was too one dimensional and there never seemed to be a Plan B for when teams were comfortably dealing with it. As for the defense I think someone needs to teach Severson, Mueller and Moore how to hit because they were all bloody useless at it in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I think Hynes got screwed not getting nominated for the Jack Adams. Dead last in the east to making the playoffs in one year is quite an improvement. I think he deserved it more than Cassidy. It does make even more of a case for Hall winning the Hart though imo. In the eyes of the league MacKinnon apparently has a better coach than Hall. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I think Hynes got screwed not getting nominated for the Jack Adams. Dead last in the east to making the playoffs in one year is quite an improvement. I think he deserved it more than Cassidy. It does make even more of a case for Hall winning the Hart though imo. In the eyes of the league MacKinnon apparently has a better coach than Hall. 

The Devils had a downturn from January to mid-February and ultimately that took him out of the running, not that I actually think he deserves to win. Gallant deserves to win. 

That said, I'm starting to feel like Gallant's coaching job, while terrific, is overrated. I mean we get it, Vegas is an expansion team, but he has a good team in front of him and he's gotten great goaltending. But he gets credit for it being a new team with players playing together for the first time...yeah.

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The Devils had a downturn from January to mid-February and ultimately that took him out of the running, not that I actually think he deserves to win. Gallant deserves to win. 

That said, I'm starting to feel like Gallant's coaching job, while terrific, is overrated. I mean we get it, Vegas is an expansion team, but he has a good team in front of him and he's gotten great goaltending. But he gets credit for it being a new team with players playing together for the first time...yeah.

That was mostly due to horrible goaltending though. 

And I agree Gallant should win. I just thought Hynes should be a finalist. 

33 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Goaltending is basically what gets you into the Jack Adams (which is dumb).

Well the Bruins goaltending wasn’t particularly impressive this season. 

Rask .917

Khudobin .913

so I guess that’s something to be said for Cassidy. We all know what Hynes had to deal with though...

Edited by Nicomo

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Well the Bruins goaltending wasn’t particularly impressive this season. 

Rask .917

Khudobin .913

so I guess that’s something to be said for Cassidy. We all know what Hynes had to deal with though...

The Bruins are legitimately great team. But my point is this: look at the list of Jack Adams winners. They always have amazing goaltending, and plenty of those teams were bad teams buoyed by high percentages. It's been better the past two seasons, but before that you had Hartley, Maclean and Roy who were pretty terrible. It's been more "coach who coached a team to a surprising (and often unsustainable result" than "best coach".

10 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

The Devils finished top-10 in PP% this year, didn’t they? 

Pretty impressive for a team lacking the firepower that many other teams have and we’re still acquiring / building. 

That is indeed a fair point. I didn't realize they'd done so well.  :D

4 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

Hynes is ok, not too high on him.

I agree.  He sometimes seemed to react to what the opponent was doing rather than being proactive and forcing the play our way.  Is this just a sign of his inexperience @ the NHL level, or is this a long-term thing?  Or does does it have to do with out current talent level?

2 hours ago, aclc79 said:

I agree.  He sometimes seemed to react to what the opponent was doing rather than being proactive and forcing the play our way.  Is this just a sign of his inexperience @ the NHL level, or is this a long-term thing?  Or does does it have to do with out current talent level?

You can argue that this happens to every coach at some point, and some more often than not. I wouldn't put Hynes in that category. He's an average coach with a pretty average roster who got fairly average results this year.