Tavares or Carlson

Devils Pride 26

Tavares or Carlson  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Tavares or Carlson

• Tavares
    • Carlson

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The guy who was a healthy scratch is now a 1D and Vatanen is a 2D??? I don’t think so.

The true answer to the poll question is “Yes please!”, but if I have to choose one, it’s Tavares.  I can’t even imagine how deadly Tavares and Hall could be together. 

I'm more taking guesses at D pairings. Idk what pairing of the top two is really the top. Just which Dmen would be paired. Would you front load and leave Mueller and Butcher together and make an obvious weak pair or spread the skill? What makes you think Vatenen is automatically a #1 pair guy with Karlsson and Carlson on the team? Maybe they get paired together. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

29 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm more taking guesses at D pairings. Idk what pairing of the top two is really the top. Just which Dmen would be paired. Would you front load and leave Mueller and Butcher together and make an obvious weak pair or spread the skill? What makes you think Vatenen is automatically a #1 pair guy with Karlsson and Carlson on the team? Maybe they get paired together. 

They could get paired together..,but that’s not what you did. You put Mueller on the first line, he’s a bottom pair guy. Assuming the guys you added, I would have Vatanen and one Carlson/Karlsson on the first pair, Butcher with the other one on the second pair, Mueller and whomever is left on the third pair. 

If you put Carlson/Karlsson together, then I’d go Vatanen and Butcher and keep Mueller on the third pair. 

That said, I also never remember which side anyone plays on so I don’t know if any of the proposed lines, yours or mine, are based in reality. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They could get paired together..,but that’s not what you did. You put Mueller on the first line, he’s a bottom pair guy. Assuming the guys you added, I would have Vatanen and one Carlson/Karlsson on the first pair, Butcher with the other one on the second pair, Mueller and whomever is left on the third pair. 

If you put Carlson/Karlsson together, then I’d go Vatanen and Butcher and keep Mueller on the third pair. 

That said, I also never remember which side anyone plays on so I don’t know if any of the proposed lines, yours or mine, are based in reality. 

They could be paired together but that's not what I did? That is exactly what I did. Hence why they are paired together. The number of the pairing doesnt matter. Just like with the offense and your Boyle comment the other day. Everyone on the team has a role and they play that role regardless of what number the line they play on is. Just like I didn't point to Boyle because, as you said, he's a 4th line guy and that automatically is supposed to make him a grinder. I pointed at him to do something physical because he ran his mouth. 

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They could be paired together but that's not what I did? That is exactly what I did. Hence why they are paired together. The number of the pairing doesnt matter. Just like with the offense and your Boyle comment the other day. Everyone on the team has a role and they play that role regardless of what number the line they play on is. Just like I didn't point to Boyle because, as you said, he's a 4th line guy and that automatically is supposed to make him a grinder. I pointed at him to do something physical because he ran his mouth. 

The way you wrote it it read like maybe they would put Karlsson and Carlson together. I thought that’s what you meant. 

Everyone does have a role to play; Mueller’s is not on the first line. 

And the point on Boyle was, he’s made a career out of not doing things physically despite his size. So he can’t be counted o for that regardless of what line he is on. 

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Yeah I agree all the devils need to do is get Patrick Kane and Drew Doughty and we’re set. Teams love trading their multi cup winning superstars and Shero would be silly to not get both of them. Really think we should go after McDavid and Auston Matthews too.

Go Zacha and a 4th for Kane, Severson and a 4th for Doughty.  Sign Tavares for 5M per and save another 5m for Karlsson after next season.  What's not too like?  #Dynasty

• Haha 1

Tavares and its not even close. Even if our need in Defence was so dire that had to play Tavares himself on the first pairing I would still take him. IMO there is nothing more valuable than a Center in this game. The game is also evolving or already evolved into being ''offense first and we'll see for the rest'' type of game. 

We sweated that playoff spot in the second half of the season not because Schneider was out and Kinkaid was average or whatever, but because we suddenly lost a lot of the contribution guys like Bratt were bringing and it took us a lot of time to compensate or get back to a decent amount of goals per game. The same thing could be observed in this series against the Lightning. We had good enough defensive games, but we were held to 2 goals or less in 3 of the 5 games we played. 

Not saying we don't need help at D though. Just saying if I had to choose only one of those two, Tavares is a no-brainer. 

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I would. He’s at his lowest possible value right now. At 23 years old with a player who’s shown promises of developing into a top-4 defenseman on a relatively team friendly contract, there’s a ton of possible value there you’re throwing away too early.

I'm not saying to throw him away, I would want value in return. But you're right, its not really the best time. 

11 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Yeah I agree all the devils need to do is get Patrick Kane and Drew Doughty and we’re set. Teams love trading their multi cup winning superstars and Shero would be silly to not get both of them. Really think we should go after McDavid and Auston Matthews too.

If this works out we might actually have the most season ticket holders in team history lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

I think Patrick Kane or Brandon Saad could be had from Chicago.  Everyone has a price.

Drew Doughty can also be had since Dion Phaneuf is now a poorman's version of Doughty on the same team. 

Tavares will be a tough buy.  I want him, and I think he can possibly end up captaining our team, but there will be teams out there looking for him, and surely we're not one of the target destinations he has.

7 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Tavares will be a tough buy.  I want him, and I think he can possibly end up captaining our team, but there will be teams out there looking for him, and surely we're not one of the target destinations he has.

Probably the only way I would be OK with Hall not being captain...if we have to give it to Tavares to get him to come here. 

27 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So question. Let’s say you can either have Tavares at 12m or Carlson + JVR at a combined 14m per year... which do you decide?

Tavares I can get my secondary scoring and the center this team has been looking for, for a long time

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

I just don't see us needing Tavares. We have Nico at #1, you don't bring JT in to be #2 or #1. We need D, 2nd line C and a scoring winger. 

If we had unlimited money, sure, but we don't. 

Thing is if you can sign a guy like that, you do it. They don't come around too often. Plus secondary scoring from our 2nd line would be welcome. The Pens didn't win cups because they had one good line and having Crosby and Malkin as #1, #2 C is a huge part of that.

Also like i mentioned previously, getting Tavares gives us some flexibility to get extra assets to trade. Or else we have to either sign a D (which there's not many) or trade for one with the assets we currently have.. which takes a toll on our depth.

i mean... who would seriously say "Tavares? mehhhhhh no need. We got Zacha and Zajac behind Nico." 

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

I just don't see us needing Tavares. We have Nico at #1, you don't bring JT in to be #2 or #1. We need D, 2nd line C and a scoring winger. 

The Penguins don't need Malkin, but it sure has worked out that they have him.  Tavares would immediately make this one of the best forward groups in the NHL, and he will be underpaid.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The Penguins don't need Malkin, but it sure has worked out that they have him.  Tavares would immediately make this one of the best forward groups in the NHL, and he will be underpaid.  

Well you sure don't win this if you were not needed

i mean yeah the pens would be a decent team without him but they wouldnt have cups without him im pretty sure

geno-bo.jpg.43ea221e5524327583ca7134a1bb3c5e.jpg

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

I think you missed my meaning there, HOI said we're fine with our #1C, and I was just saying that the idea of having a '1C' and not otherwise having another great center because that player would compete with the '1C' is not really the way great NHL teams tend to conduct themselves.   Malkin's a great player and he has been rumored to be traded over the years but it never made sense - just because you have a great #1C is no reason to also keep another guy who's great (or go out and get one who is great)

2 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

I could not possibly disagree more. You put JT as 1C if you can get him, Nico is your 2C. Not even a debate. 

And as much cap room as we have, we have close to unlimited money. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1