Tavares or Carlson

Devils Pride 26

Tavares or Carlson  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Tavares or Carlson

• Tavares
    • Carlson

Well you sure don't win this if you were not needed
i mean yeah the pens would be a decent team without him but they wouldnt have cups without him im pretty sure
geno-bo.jpg.43ea221e5524327583ca7134a1bb3c5e.jpg

I think they’d probably still have a Cup with Crosby alone, but they wouldn’t have three without both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Thing is if you can sign a guy like that, you do it. They don't come around too often. Plus secondary scoring from our 2nd line would be welcome. The Pens didn't win cups because they had one good line and having Crosby and Malkin as #1, #2 C is a huge part of that.

Also like i mentioned previously, getting Tavares gives us some flexibility to get extra assets to trade. Or else we have to either sign a D (which there's not many) or trade for one with the assets we currently have.. which takes a toll on our depth.

i mean... who would seriously say "Tavares? mehhhhhh no need. We got Zacha and Zajac behind Nico." 

Peter Chiarelli?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I think you missed my meaning there, HOI said we're fine with our #1C, and I was just saying that the idea of having a '1C' and not otherwise having another great center because that player would compete with the '1C' is not really the way great NHL teams tend to conduct themselves.   Malkin's a great player and he has been rumored to be traded over the years but it never made sense - just because you have a great #1C is no reason to also keep another guy who's great (or go out and get one who is great)

Well i agreed with what you meant other than that. It was just the statement itself that i felt had to be addressed haha

Just now, Aitchmack said:

Peter Chiarelli?

ha!

4 hours ago, sokar said:

Hall NIco Palmieri

Jahansson Tavares Bratt 

Those are 2 very dangerous lines for any team to deal with.  If you don't like Bratt there then maybe McLeod instead

If Tavares signs here expect McLeod to be shipped out for d.

Edited by fsu1852

28 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Are the Devils going to make a big push for either of them or is this just our chatter?

Shero wanted Shattenkirk so I’d have to imagine he’s going to go after Carlson. Whether or not they try for Tavares is anyone’s guess. 

20 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

I disagree he's at his lowest possible value - guy still had 24 points this season (9G) and is signed long term and is only 23 with 300 games of experience. He needs coaching, and I'm not sold our coaching staff is good with Young D. 

Then you change the coaching staff.

12 hours ago, Triumph said:

The Penguins don't need Malkin, but it sure has worked out that they have him.  Tavares would immediately make this one of the best forward groups in the NHL, and he will be underpaid.  

Right my concern is - is Hall and Hischer our Crosby and Malkin? If we pay JT with Hall and Hischier - will we have enough funds to go around. I'd love to have JT, obviously. But would we be better spending 30M on 3 forwards in 2020 (potentially more) and what are we going to do about the D?

Edited by HellOnICE

15 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Right my concern is - is Hall and Hischer our Crosby and Malkin? If we pay JT with Hall and Hischier - will we have enough funds to go around. I'd love to have JT, obviously. But would we be better spending 30M on 3 forwards in 2020 (potentially more) and what are we going to do about the D?

You’re right that the Devils would not be able to pay Tavares and a big time defenseman, and that we probably would be better off if it were the defenseman.  Thing is that it is much harder to get the defenseman we have in mind.

Here's the thing with the Pitt analogy, it's not like their defense is as stacked as their forward group. Letang, sure bona fide when he's healthy. Doumilin and Matta probably come next, but they are so loaded up front that with decent goaltending, they can compete with anyone. Adding Tavares instead of Carlson puts NJ in a similar situation. Perhaps not identical, but similar enough. With Vatanen a clear #1 on this roster, you really just need supporting pieces. Hopefully Seversen and Butcher could be that.

EDIT: I guess Schultz with 27 points isn't bad either. I honestly don't really know how productive he is relative to his salary.

Edited by NLinfante

Jumping into this topic late, but if it's me, I take Tavares over Carlson.  It is pretty clear after our loss in 5 games in the playoffs that we did not have enough scoring.  Hall is a great player and it looks like Nico will be as well, but he's still young and you can't rely on just those two guys.  Palms is great but sporadic, and it remains to be seen what we will get out of Johanson.  Zajac is on the decline and Zacha is also a work in progress.  Other guys like Wood/Coleman/Noesen are great role players and 3rd/4th line guys.  But we need another top forward, and it would be great if Tavares was here to take the pressure off some of the other guys, and fill out another line that other teams would have to worry about and plan for. 

I know the D needs work but Butcher looks like he'll be great and I think we give Severson another year to show what he can be before we start thinking about shipping him out.  Mueller also filled in decently too, so other than Lovejoy and Greene, I think we have a decent four that we can go into next year with.  Maybe bring back up Santini and either acquire someone else decent in free agency, or try to draft someone that would be close to NHL ready.  Hard to do picking in the middle of the pack, but you never know.

This thread is just one giant fantasy dream. If Shero pulls this off they should immediately make plans to immortalize him with a statue on Mulberry St. dressed as a Caesar or Greek god. 

:hail:

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

It would get challenging, for sure, but the good news for the Devils' D is that they don't have anyone they really have to pay outside of Butcher.  And they could save money on wingers in the future with those 3.

NHL salary cap is going to $80 million (and perhaps even more if Vegas and Toronto go deep into the playoffs), if you have Hall and Tavares at $10M and Hischier at $8M that leaves $52M for the other 19 or 20 players on the roster.  It's doable, it just requires some ELCs and some low-cost players besides.

8 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It would get challenging, for sure, but the good news for the Devils' D is that they don't have anyone they really have to pay outside of Butcher.  And they could save money on wingers in the future with those 3.

NHL salary cap is going to $80 million (and perhaps even more if Vegas and Toronto go deep into the playoffs), if you have Hall and Tavares at $10M and Hischier at $8M that leaves $52M for the other 19 or 20 players on the roster.  It's doable, it just requires some ELCs and some low-cost players besides.

What about Vatanen in 2 years?

On 4/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, mfitz804 said:

.  I can’t even imagine how deadly Tavares and Hall could be together.

I don't think JT and Hall would be that good together. I think Tavares meshes with a guy like Palms. I know Evander Kane plays the left too but that is the type of player I see with Hall. 

This off season is huge for Ray. Hopefully we won't be disappointed. John Carlson would be a step in the right direction, however I wonder how he will look without the forwards he has in Washington. I am willing to find out. If not we can always see what Eric Gelinas is doing.

56 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't see Tavares taking only $10 million to come here.  IMO, he's getting a 7 year deal at between $11-12 million per year if he leaves the Islanders.  The only team discounts I can see him giving out are to Toronto (hometown) or the Rangers (well, because of course everyone wants to play there).   There are going to be plenty of desperate suitors out there for him this offseason driving up the price on his next deal.   

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You wouldn't keep Vatanen? He's one of the two defenseman on the team that doesn't make you want to bleach your eyeballs.

Even if we managed to get a stud free agent plus on it two of our guys works out, I would still want Vatanen. 

And I’m not worrying about the cap. If there’s an issue, it means we have a ton of good, valuable players. And I want good, valuable players on the team. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hystyk28 said:

I don't think JT and Hall would be that good together. I think Tavares meshes with a guy like Palms. I know Evander Kane plays the left too but that is the type of player I see with Hall. 

This off season is huge for Ray. Hopefully we won't be disappointed. John Carlson would be a step in the right direction, however I wonder how he will look without the forwards he has in Washington. I am willing to find out. If not we can always see what Eric Gelinas is doing.

Is Eric Gelinas still even in the NHL?

• Haha 1

its going to be another interesting offseason, hopefully we are able to land at least one of these guys. Tavares would sure be fun to have here but I wouldn't want to go way over board with the price tag and our blue line really needs to be addressed.