Devils Pride 26

Tavares or Carlson

Tavares or Carlson  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Tavares or Carlson

• Tavares
    • Carlson

8 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It would get challenging, for sure, but the good news for the Devils' D is that they don't have anyone they really have to pay outside of Butcher.  And they could save money on wingers in the future with those 3.

NHL salary cap is going to $80 million (and perhaps even more if Vegas and Toronto go deep into the playoffs), if you have Hall and Tavares at $10M and Hischier at $8M that leaves $52M for the other 19 or 20 players on the roster.  It's doable, it just requires some ELCs and some low-cost players besides.

What about Vatanen in 2 years?

On 4/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, mfitz804 said:

.  I can’t even imagine how deadly Tavares and Hall could be together.

I don't think JT and Hall would be that good together. I think Tavares meshes with a guy like Palms. I know Evander Kane plays the left too but that is the type of player I see with Hall. 

This off season is huge for Ray. Hopefully we won't be disappointed. John Carlson would be a step in the right direction, however I wonder how he will look without the forwards he has in Washington. I am willing to find out. If not we can always see what Eric Gelinas is doing.

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

What about Vatanen in 2 years?

Wouldn't be the guy I would choose to keep.  Devils have to hope some of these RHD they've drafted can take that spot.

56 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It would get challenging, for sure, but the good news for the Devils' D is that they don't have anyone they really have to pay outside of Butcher.  And they could save money on wingers in the future with those 3.

NHL salary cap is going to $80 million (and perhaps even more if Vegas and Toronto go deep into the playoffs), if you have Hall and Tavares at $10M and Hischier at $8M that leaves $52M for the other 19 or 20 players on the roster.  It's doable, it just requires some ELCs and some low-cost players besides.

I don't see Tavares taking only $10 million to come here.  IMO, he's getting a 7 year deal at between $11-12 million per year if he leaves the Islanders.  The only team discounts I can see him giving out are to Toronto (hometown) or the Rangers (well, because of course everyone wants to play there).   There are going to be plenty of desperate suitors out there for him this offseason driving up the price on his next deal.   

39 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Wouldn't be the guy I would choose to keep.  Devils have to hope some of these RHD they've drafted can take that spot.

You wouldn't keep Vatanen? He's one of the two defenseman on the team that doesn't make you want to bleach your eyeballs.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You wouldn't keep Vatanen? He's one of the two defenseman on the team that doesn't make you want to bleach your eyeballs.

Even if we managed to get a stud free agent plus on it two of our guys works out, I would still want Vatanen. 

And I’m not worrying about the cap. If there’s an issue, it means we have a ton of good, valuable players. And I want good, valuable players on the team. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hystyk28 said:

I don't think JT and Hall would be that good together. I think Tavares meshes with a guy like Palms. I know Evander Kane plays the left too but that is the type of player I see with Hall. 

This off season is huge for Ray. Hopefully we won't be disappointed. John Carlson would be a step in the right direction, however I wonder how he will look without the forwards he has in Washington. I am willing to find out. If not we can always see what Eric Gelinas is doing.

Is Eric Gelinas still even in the NHL?

• Haha 1

its going to be another interesting offseason, hopefully we are able to land at least one of these guys. Tavares would sure be fun to have here but I wouldn't want to go way over board with the price tag and our blue line really needs to be addressed.

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I like Vatanen a lot, but he will be 29 when he's due to be extended.  If the Devils could extend him 4 more years, great, but he'll probably want 6 or 7 years.  It's bad timing.

47 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

Is Eric Gelinas still even in the NHL?

Pretty sure he sold me chicken tenders at the last home game of the year. If that counts as being in the NHL, then yes. 

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I like Vatanen a lot, but he will be 29 when he's due to be extended.  If the Devils could extend him 4 more years, great, but he'll probably want 6 or 7 years.  It's bad timing.

It’s a very good point. He’ll be looking for that one last payday, for as much and as long as possible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mackchi said:

This thread is just one giant fantasy dream. If Shero pulls this off they should immediately make plans to immortalize him with a statue on Mulberry St. dressed as a Caesar or Greek god. 

:hail:

Why is it a fantasy?

Devils have plenty of cap space.

21 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Depends on how much of his brain is mush now

59 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Depends on how much of his brain is mush now

You’re giving Kucherov too much credit. It was hardly a Scott Stevens special. Vats should be fine. 

• Like 1

You’re giving Kucherov too much credit. It was hardly a Scott Stevens special. Vats should be fine. 

Vatanen also doesn’t have a concussion history as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Vatanen also doesn’t have a concussion history as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope he hasn't but really have to see how it plays out since he will be more prone to them now. Look at Mojo who never had issues before this year either. If he ends up with another one or two before he needs to be signed I certainly wouldn't sign him to a long term contract. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 12:43 PM, mfitz804 said:

Pretty sure he sold me chicken tenders at the last home game of the year. If that counts as being in the NHL, then yes. 

It’s a very good point. He’ll be looking for that one last payday, for as much and as long as possible. 

he got promoted, prior games he was in charge of refreshing the mint cakes in the pissers.

31 minutes ago, titans04 said:

he got promoted, prior games he was in charge of refreshing the mint cakes in the pissers.

Sad fact, but those urinal mints probably are a small upgrade from the Prudential Center chicken fingers. 

On 4/24/2018 at 12:43 PM, mfitz804 said:

Did he hand you the tenders really hard but 5 feet away from you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sad fact, but those urinal mints probably are a small upgrade from the Prudential Center chicken fingers. 

ha, true!

I wonder if anyone knows if the Devils are going to go after either one of these two.

Carlson would make more sense since the Devils think the world of McLeod as a potential number two center.

But I have no idea who or what the Devils want.

Could the Devils make two big splash FA signings like Minnesota did with Praise and Suter?

13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I wonder if anyone knows if the Devils are going to go after either one of these two.

Carlson would make more sense since the Devils think the world of McLeod as a potential number two center.

But I have no idea who or what the Devils want.

Could the Devils make two big splash FA signings like Minnesota did with Praise and Suter?

If they can get JT, get him. You don’t pass on one of the top centers in the game because a guy on your AHL team may be good one day. 

• Like 1

This comment from Shero actually makes me think he’s only going to be interested in an absolute game changer (obviously Tavares)...

• Like 1