2018 World Championship

thecoffeecake

The big 6 plus Latvia and Switzerland make the quarterfinal. Slovakia finished a point behind Switzerland, and hosts Denmark just dropped a 1-0 game to Latvia to lose their spot. We've got the Czechs on Thursday. 

If the NHL does the World Cup again, it should use a point system based on World Championships results to qualify countries. 

• Like 1

Nice article on Mirco & the Swiss team by our old pal Julie Robenhymer: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/a-confident-mirco-mueller-is-playing-unbelievable-at-iihf-worlds/c-298678656

Snippet:   "He plays with courage and plays the right way and that's what we need to start learning in Switzerland," the coach said. 'He learned how to play the right way in North America. If there's a right play to make, he does it, and, if not, you ring the puck out and he does that too. He's a leader. He's a strong character and very mature for his age. I'm really happy for him. He's having a tremendous tournament."

Mueller has a goal and five assists in eight games so far during the world championships and is averaging 20 minutes a game. He logged over 22 minutes in Switzerland's 3-2 win over Finalnd in the quarterfinal on Thursday. They will face Canada on Saturday (1 p.m. ET, NHL Network) in the semifinal and the chance to play for gold. 

This will be only the second time Switzerland will play for a medal at the world championship in the past 65 years. The last time was in 2013 when they earned the silver medal. 

• Like 3

I bet Nico is pretty devastated he couldn't be there to play for his country, and he would add so much to their lineup. He'd be the 1C hands down, and they'd have a top line of him, Fiala, and Niedereiter in front of a pairing with Josi. I bet Canada is very grateful he's not in the lineup.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I bet Nico is pretty devastated he couldn't be there to play for his country, and he would add so much to their lineup. He'd be the 1C hands down, and they'd have a top line of him, Fiala, and Niedereiter in front of a pairing with Josi. I bet Canada is very grateful he's not in the lineup.

But he should have plenty of chances to play in this tournament. It will make a good team that much better.  CAN had better watch out!

US lost 6-0 to Sweden today; they play for Bronze tomorrow vs Canada at 9.45a (US / 3.45p Danish). 

ETA: Sorry thought I posted earlier that Canada lost to the Swiss 3-2 today.

Article on today's US loss:  https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/919516?referrer_id=695820

Snippet: NOTES:  Cam Atkinson (Riverside, Conn.), Patrick Kane and Keith Kinkaid (Farmingville, N.Y.) were selected as Team USA's top three players of the tournament 

Edited by LittleBallofHate

The US hasn't lost to Canada in meaningful international competition since the 2016 senior semis. Beat them twice in this tournament, outside in Buffalo at the WJC, and twice in the 2017 WJC on their ice, including the gold medal game. Let's hope the kids keep the streak alive this winter. 

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Wonder if Nico would have been enough to put the Swiss over the top. Have they ever won a tournament before?

Interesting question, but the Swedes were really loaded.  But maybe....

17 hours ago, devlman said:

Gibbons hasn't been playing it seems. Also not good Kinky giving up 6 goals on 20 shots in the semifinals.

Thought I saw a picture of him with a cast on his arm so I guess he was hurt.

23 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Wonder if Nico would have been enough to put the Swiss over the top. Have they ever won a tournament before?

They never have before, I really wish they would go to continuous ot for the gold medal game. It was such a great game and I hate seeing it end with the garbage shootout. I get it with time restraints in the semi finals and quarter finals that a shootout is needed but this was the last game so there's no excuse. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 8:29 PM, devlman said:

Gibbons hasn't been playing it seems. Also not good Kinky giving up 6 goals on 20 shots in the semifinals.

Depends on the types of shots let in... I didn't see the game so Idk how he was beat.  If it was like the perfect deflections,tips he let up in the playoffs that's fine, it's no big deal as he had 0 chance.  Some just look at the numbers of goals and shot and just say he sucks.  Goalie stats don't tell you anything about how well a goalie is