2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

That's correct. Selling ridiculously expensive shoes to ridiculously rich people. 

My buddy was the manager of the store and brought me there. Previous to that I was working in a Foot Locker. Law school is a lot of work, but I still needed money for books, commuting expenses, etc. So I worked part-time. 

Since it was partially commission based, I found that I could work only on Sunday 12pm-6pm (which I could do because my boss was my friend, and really he only brought me there because we could hang out and sell people shoes) and make more than I was making working 15-18 hours a week over 3 days selling sneakers. And with luck, substantially more. I remember one day during Christmas I made $800 in a single 6 hour shift. 

Plus, I wound up saving money because I was no longer using my employee discount a couple times a month to buy the latest Nike sneakers. 

So it was a little more elevated than an Al Bundy type job. Though I started in high school in a store that was very much like that. I never rubbed anyone's feet though. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's correct. Selling ridiculously expensive shoes to ridiculously rich people. 

My buddy was the manager of the store and brought me there. Previous to that I was working in a Foot Locker. Law school is a lot of work, but I still needed money for books, commuting expenses, etc. So I worked part-time. 

Since it was partially commission based, I found that I could work only on Sunday 12pm-6pm (which I could do because my boss was my friend, and really he only brought me there because we could hang out and sell people shoes) and make more than I was making working 15-18 hours a week over 3 days selling sneakers. And with luck, substantially more. I remember one day during Christmas I made $800 in a single 6 hour shift. 

Plus, I wound up saving money because I was no longer using my employee discount a couple times a month to buy the latest Nike sneakers. 

So it was a little more elevated than an Al Bundy type job. Though I started in high school in a store that was very much like that. I never rubbed anyone's feet though. 

Well, to be fair, did you ever have a customer like that?

13 hours ago, sundstrom said:

What’s also great about SH Mall was that visiting teams would always stay at the Hilton across the street and you’d see them there all the time. 

Many teams still stay there. 

Where else do other teams tend to stay?

40 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Rangers used to stay at the Ivory Tower Inn at the Somerville Circle ;)

You mean the Gateway?  As you know, they tore it down (and a long-abandoned Denny's and Popeye's...all casualties of the 202 bypass) to make room for the new Quick Chek Gas Station (already well on its way).  That place was seedy for as long as I can remember (and I first moved to that area back in 1977, just after I turned 7). 

Circle was so different...used to have a club called the Manor (complete with really bad homemade commercials...apparently the only band that ever played there was an outfit called Chelsea), a bowling alley, a movie theater, and a Grand Union where the B&N store is now.  And of course, no 202 overpass. 

And way back (70s-80s)...where the Tim Horton's is now, there used to be a Mr. Bee's (fast food).  Awesome fried chicken there.  Wish it never closed.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You mean the Gateway?  As you know, they tore it down (and a long-abandoned Denny's and Popeye's...all casualties of the 202 bypass) to make room for the new Quick Chek Gas Station (already well on its way).  That place was seedy for as long as I can remember (and I first moved to that area back in 1977, just after I turned 7). 

Circle was so different...used to have a club called the Manor (complete with really bad homemade commercials...apparently the only band that ever played there was an outfit called Chelsea), a bowling alley, a movie theater, and a Grand Union where the B&N store is now.  And of course, no 202 overpass. 

And way back (70s-80s)...where the Tim Horton's is now, there used to be a Mr. Bee's (fast food).  Awesome fried chicken there.  Wish it never closed.

Haha yup.  It stopped being called Ivory Tower about 10-15 years ago and was called various things since until it was demolished last year.  It was even under the Motel 6 brand not too long ago for a brief time.  Yeah it was really seedy as could be hence my joke lol.  It was also the place where a judge in my town hid out for a couple days while he was being hunted by police for a hit and run accident.  That was about 15 years ago as well.

The circle has changed a lot over the years.  My dad and I used to go to a hobby shop that was in a space that was 1-2 stores down from the Christmas Tree Shop in that plaza.  That closed around the late 90's/early 2000's.  We also used to go to that General Cinemas theater up where PC Richard is now.  It was a nice quieter (albeit older) alternative to the crazy busy theater at the Bridgewater Commons.  I think it closed in the mid 90's and the last movie I remember seeing there was I believe Major Payne, but I could be wrong.  I do know it was closed around the mid 90's as the GC chain figured it was redundant to have two of its theaters about a mile away from each other.

I remember that circle before the overpass.  It was a traffic nightmare.  People who bitch about the circle now tend to have no knowledge or experience of how it was before that overpass.  I remember my mom and dad having to go through stop and go traffic for a quite a bit until we were able to go into it.  Now these day's it is a breeze in comparison.

Also that guitar center used to be a Nobody Beats the Wiz store.  It was great and got some of my first CD's there (it was a huge store).  We also got our first Windows-based computer there back in 1995 back in the day when you bought PC's at these stores and the experience was more like buying a car than anything else.  I think that location closed down around the time Cablevision shut the Wiz down in the mid 2000's and it was an Electronics Expo (another small chain that was like the Wiz) before they went out of business and guitar center took over about 5-6 years ago.

1 hour ago, Derlique said:

Where else do other teams tend to stay?

many actually stay at the hotel right around the corner (i think it's a marriott) from the rink. supposedly that happens more during the winter when weather might be an issue or the visiting team is in for a very short stay.

i know when the penguins were in town late this season, they stayed at the SH Hilton - a bunch went to Roots in Summit and my wife ran into a table w/ Crosby/Kessel/Haglin/Murray and got her picture with them.

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Evander Kane getting a reported 7 year deal at 7M per.  Crazy money for a guy like that imo. 

I guess they're banking on a compliance buyout after the next strike.  They're crazy paying top dollar for such a long time to that guy.   Hopefully this takes them out of the Tavares sweepstakes.  

Edited by Lateralous

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

was is discussed at all on this forum that we signed Egor Yakovlev? didn't see it anywhere but i might have just missed it

1 year deal for a 26 year old, kind of feels like throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks.  No harm though if they aren't squeezed on the number of contracts available.  

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Evander Kane getting a reported 7 year deal at 7M per.  Crazy money for a guy like that imo. 

Never wanted E. Kane on this team anyways, and especially not at that money. That’s going to look real bad when he returns to his 50 point season next year at a $7M price tag. Evander Kane is not a $49M player.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:30 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz will get his shot soon, no doubt. Until then, I’m happy to have him stick around for as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/21/2018 at 11:12 AM, DevsMan84 said:

I like our team of Fitz and Shero.  Like others have said Fitz will get a GM gig somewhere eventually.

They do make a good team, work well together and seem to be on the same page as to where we need to go and how to get there.  Include Hynes in this, too.

Edited by aclc79
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Never wanted E. Kane on this team anyways, and especially not at that money. That’s going to look real bad when he returns to his 50 point season next year at a $7M price tag. Evander Kane is not a $49M player.

Will they really get what they paid for, especially toward the end of the deal?  He is not as young as all that, he does have some mileage on him.  He has a heck of an agent or the Sharks have just been had!

2 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Will they really get what they paid for, especially toward the end of the deal?  He is not as young as all that, he does have some mileage on him.  He has a heck of an agent or the Sharks have just been had!

Nobody gets what they pay for at the end of these long term deals. But it’s the price you have to pay to get the good years.

In this instance, the price is too high.