2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Nobody gets what they pay for at the end of these long term deals. But it’s the price you have to pay to get the good years.

In this instance, the price is too high. 

...also, from what we hear on the outside about Kane, he has to potential to under-perform from day one now that he's been paid.   Armstrong got to spend several months with him and obviously is convinced otherwise but this one really has the chance to implode.  It seems like he should have been able to get Kane signed to a better deal given his baggage and the lack of interest in him just a few months ago at the deadline.    I know he fit in well with San Jose but I can't imagine that two month run was enough to convince other GMs to rush out and add him to their teams at top dollar.         

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

...also, from what we hear on the outside about Kane, he has to potential to under-perform from day one now that he's been paid.   Armstrong got to spend several months with him and obviously is convinced otherwise but this one really has the chance to implode.  It seems like he should have been able to get Kane signed to a better deal given his baggage and the lack of interest in him just a few months ago at the deadline.    I know he fit in well with San Jose but I can't imagine that two month run was enough to convince other GMs to rush out and add him to their teams at top dollar.         

This is a very good point. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Nobody gets what they pay for at the end of these long term deals. But it’s the price you have to pay to get the good years.

In this instance, the price is too high. 

Agree completely with above.  Teams know that the end years of those deals tend not to be a great return , but the good news is that depending on how the money is spread out, you can sometimes move the last year or two of such deals (where the money actually being doled is less than that cap hit) to a team that can take on the hit...might cost you a draft pick and/or something else, and of course if there's a NTC involved, it might be harder to pull off, but yeah, you're hoping to get 3-4 typical performance seasons, and a couple of passable ones. 

And yeah, I wouldn't have done this for Kane.  Time will tell if he truly found a home with the Sharks. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Even if the cap goes up to say $80M, this probably takes the Sharks out of the Tavares sweepstakes unless they find a way to 100% dump Paul Martin's salary, even then though I'd approximate they would have just a shade over $10M in cap space after re-signing guys like Tomas Hertl and Chris Tierney. $10M gets their foot in the door, but I'd be surprised if Tavares walks away with anything less than $11M or $12M.

I think their more likely course of action is to buyout Martin, re-sign Thornton, and find a suitable replacement for Martin on their 3rd pair in UFA.

5 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Even if the cap goes up to say $80M, this probably takes the Sharks out of the Tavares sweepstakes unless they find a way to 100% dump Paul Martin's salary.

I bet there's a guy in Long Island who'd take him...

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Tell him there's some former favorites a lot closer than San Jose that could be available for the right price!

Travis Zajac (C), Pavel Zacha (Questionable C) and Andy Greene (Awful D) for Jordan Eberle (C) and Calvin de Haan (D), with extensions. We retain a few dollars on one of Zajac or Greene. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Travis Zajac (C), Pavel Zacha (Questionable C) and Andy Greene (Awful D) for Jordan Eberle (C) and Calvin de Haan (D), with extensions. We retain a few dollars on one of Zajac or Greene. 

I'd definitely go for that. Would love to get one of those first round picks out of them.

4 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I'd definitely go for that. Would love to get one of those first round picks out of them.

The NHL article said they needed bottom 6 forwards, there's two. They said they needed a strong defenseman, there's one (from 4-5 years ago). Plus Lou gets to play with former Devils which you know he likes. Seems like a no-brainer! 

;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Calvin de Haan is an unrestricted free agent, and really isn't anything special. 

Jordan Eberle is a free agent after this year.  As disappointing as Zacha has been thus far, even trading him one for one for Eberle doesn't make any sense.  Zajac is overpaid, but he's still a useful player and we don't need his cap hit to go away to make some other move that might present itself.

Edited by Daniel

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Calvin de Haan is an unrestricted free agent, and really isn't anything special. 

Jordan Eberle is a free agent after this year.  As disappointing as Zacha has been thus far, even trading him one for one for Eberle doesn't make any sense.  Zajac is overpaid, but he's still a useful player and we don't need his cap hit to go away to make some other move that might present itself.

I added extensions for both as part of the deal, but my bad, I thought De Haan had one more year. 

I'm not worried about Zajac's salary, but if I could replace him with Eberle, I would do that. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's any way that deal would happen. But mostly from their side, not ours. 

Edited by mfitz804

Eberle put up solid numbers this season as he always does, but I wonder about him being a defensive liability. I know it got poo-pooed, but I still think Jay Beagle would be a good 3rd or 4th line guy. Granted we're stacked on those lines, but we can shed some of those guys for picks or what-not. Beagle is a good pker, responsible defensively and has been tearing it up on faceoffs. Plus he's been playing very well in the playoffs.

44 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I would absolutely, positively never do this trade. Ever.

I like Ebs. I like De Hann. But we can just get De Hann for free, and Eberle is nowhere near worth Zajac+Zacha. 

You could possibly get Eberle for free after next year too.

46 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I would absolutely, positively never do this trade. Ever.

I like Ebs. I like De Hann. But we can just get De Hann for free, and Eberle is nowhere near worth Zajac+Zacha. 

My logic was flawed because de Haan’s contract is up. 

Eberle is not worth those two guys alone.

Notice nobody is arguing to keep Greene lol. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My logic was flawed because de Haan’s contract is up. 

Eberle is not worth those two guys alone.

Notice nobody is arguing to keep Greene lol. 

You could do a lot worse than Greene, I guess, but he doesn’t have much in trade value.

One thing to keep in mind is that he could be bought out if necessary.  Unless I’m missing something, it would pretty much be with the same cap implications as Cammaleri.  Wait another year and it’s even more manageable.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, SterioDesign said:

was is discussed at all on this forum that we signed Egor Yakovlev? didn't see it anywhere but i might have just missed it

On 5/22/2018 at 10:09 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

Prospects Thread B)

I wasn't around this week, but to me every player newly signed to an NHL contract by the Devils deserves their own thread, this way we wouldn't have this sort of discussion.  Even though I'm sure no one here, including me, really knows anything about Yakovlev, makes it much easier to find information.

Need someone to brag to. It's off topic but it's okay. 
Some of you guys know I'm taking adult learn-to-play lessons from the Florida Panthers. I played growing up but haven't since 8th grade, and this was a good way to get back into it.
Just found out that coaching us for the next few classes will be.... Adam fvcking Oates. 
I'm pumped.

That’s awesome! Can’t hurt to learn from a HOF’er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Some of you guys know I'm taking adult learn-to-play lessons from the Florida Panthers. I played growing up but haven't since 8th grade, and this was a good way to get back into it.

Just found out that coaching us for the next few classes will be.... Adam fvcking Oates. 

I'm pumped.

Sweet.  If nothing else, you'll definitely be good at taking faceoffs by the end :D

Adam Oates was the guest speaker at last year's Meigray expo.  Nice guy, but sorta intense (at least that is what I picked up about him).  He spoke for about 35-45 minutes, but I barely remember any of what he said.  I do remember him being very complimentary of Scott Stevens and I believe he said he was one of, if not the toughest D-men he ever played against.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm pumped.

Hopefully he does better than he did on our bench. ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm pumped.

I'm just getting back on the ice after breaking my leg last year while playing open hockey. I love the sport a lot but man can it really take it out of you. I can already tell I probably wont be the same. 

I'm playing with a lower league team and the guys on my usual team are joking it's a "rehab assignment" to our minor league affiliate.  :lol: