2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Gotcha lol. I saw it on Facebook, so I just posted the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im at work and FB is blocked so that would explain why I don't see anything.

EDIT: Checked it on my phone, now I see it!

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

TSN reporting that Ryan O'Reilly is on the trade block for Buffalo. Thoughts? I like his game and he has size that NJ could use up front. 6'1" 216lbs 81GP 24G 37A on a very VERY sub par Sabres team. Is he worth the 7.5AAV? 

He may be. I would prefer other uses for that money, but if those don't work out...

TSN reporting that Ryan O'Reilly is on the trade block for Buffalo. Thoughts? I like his game and he has size that NJ could use up front. 6'1" 216lbs 81GP 24G 37A on a very VERY sub par Sabres team. Is he worth the 7.5AAV? 

Throw out his first two seasons (age 18-19 and 19-20), and he averages about 22 G and 39 A per 82 GP for his career...not going to pretend that I know tons about him outside of his numbers.  Can't say he excites me, but at least he's still pretty young...he's only 27, and his cap hit will seem less and less daunting as time goes on.  Not sure I'd really be willing to send too much the other way...to me, I'm getting 5 years and $37.5 million off Buffalo's books, and committing pretty heavily to a guy who's overpaid but not a star.  Like mfitz alluded to, he feels more like a Plan C/D player to me. 

Definitely imo, but the cost as far as assets going the other way is gonna be pretty stupid high.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Throw out his first two seasons (age 18-19 and 19-20), and he averages about 22 G and 39 A per 82 GP for his career...not going to pretend that I know tons about him outside of his numbers.  Can't say he excites me, but at least he's still pretty young...he's only 27, and his cap hit will seem less and less daunting as time goes on.  Not sure I'd really be willing to send too much the other way...to me, I'm getting 5 years and $37.5 million off Buffalo's books, and committing pretty heavily to a guy who's overpaid but not a star.  Like mfitz alluded to, he feels more like a Plan C/D player to me. 

FWIW my friend is a hardcore Sabres fan and said he would be surprised if he moves. Also said he is streaky offensively and can disappear at times, but his defensive game is about as good as it gets. Also his FOW% is 60% which is absolutely insane. Nico, ROR, and Zajac as your 1, 2, 3 is also pretty nice.

From Dan Rosen's mailbag FWIW:  Where does John Carlson play next season and how would winning the Stanley Cup influence that? -- @MeierGilles

The Capitals want him back and I think Carlson wants to stay, but I don't think he should offer a hometown discount, especially if he helps Washington win the Stanley Cup. If the Capitals want Carlson back, his representatives should demand he gets paid what he would get paid if he hit the open market. Is that a seven-year contract with an average annual value of $7 million? Is it more? Less? I don't think I'd go that high for him, but that's probably within the range he'll be asking for. If it doesn't work out for him in Washington, I think the New Jersey Devils are a team to watch. My feeling has nothing to do with the fact that Carlson is from New Jersey and everything to do with the fact that the Devils might think they need a right-handed defenseman with speed and a shot who they can put in their top four. They have Sami Vatanen and Damon Severson now. If they signed Carlson, they could put Severson on the third pair, which would make that side of their defense excellent. I don't know if winning the Cup influences whether Carlson stays in Washington or signs elsewhere other than maybe he can try to ask for a little bit more money because he's been strong in the playoffs (19 points; five goals 14 assists).

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-mailbag-dan-rosen-june-6/c-298947766 

• Like 3

I *really* like ROR but I'd pass on this trade. I'm assuming it'd cost something like 17 OA + prospect or something of similar value. His 5v5 scoring has deterioriated over the last few years, from 1.9 per hour in Colorado to 1.08 this season. That's from fringe 1st liner to 4th liner and most of his points come on the powerplay and idk if I'd call it a lock that he'd be on PP1 for NJ. Yeah, he's playing very tough matchups, his 5v5 production this season is probably an outlier of sorts and he plays on a bad team, but his trend + age + salary are pretty big red flags for me. I get the vibes that we'll be sitting here in three years with ROR being a better, but more expensive Zajac. 

To me getting ROR is very much a win now type move and I don't know if NJ is there yet. But I do think NJ will be there sooner than later. I just don't think the time is now for that type of move.

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marshall said:

I *really* like ROR but I'd pass on this trade. I'm assuming it'd cost something like 17 OA + prospect or something of similar value. His 5v5 scoring has deterioriated over the last few years, from 1.9 per hour in Colorado to 1.08 this season. That's from fringe 1st liner to 4th liner and most of his points come on the powerplay and idk if I'd call it a lock that he'd be on PP1 for NJ. Yeah, he's playing very tough matchups, his 5v5 production this season is probably an outlier of sorts and he plays on a bad team, but his trend + age + salary are pretty big red flags for me. I get the vibes that we'll be sitting here in three years with ROR being a better, but more expensive Zajac. 

To me getting ROR is very much a win now type move and I don't know if NJ is there yet. But I do think NJ will be there sooner than later. I just don't think the time is now for that type of move.

If the Devils are interested in trading for ROR in theory, then there's no reason that their first priority shouldn't be Tavares, who is the far superior player and will only cost you cap space that you have plenty of. And even then I'd only trade for ROR if it's a real bargain. 

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If the Devils are interested in trading for ROR in theory, then there's no reason that their first priority should be Tavares, who is the far superior player and will only cost you cap space that you have plenty of. And even then I'd only trade for ROR if it's a real bargain. 

I'm confused, did you mean there's no reason their first priority SHOULDN'T be Tavares?

6 hours ago, Marshall said:

Just out of curiosity, would a trade for Hamilton from CGY also be a win now type move for you? IS the deciding factor the age? With the right off-season, I don't think NJ is that far away from being justified in having a win now strategy. I agree though, Tavares is the better option. Just fun to speculate since I like ROR's game and think on a better team he would excel.

2 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

With the rumblings of Hoffman being traded, it got me wondering:

Lets say Shero knows that there's 0 chance at JT or Carlson. Would you take on the Bobby Ryan contract and Mike Hoffman in exchange for 17 overall? Would that be enough to get the deal done?

I love Hoffman and think Ryan can still bring something as a 3rd liner, but if we're moving #17 I'd feel way more comfortable moving it for a high-end defenseman. I'd rather wait and see what happens with OEL and see if you can't swing a trade for him with #17 as one of the pieces.

Lets say Shero knows that there's 0 chance at JT or Carlson. Would you take on the Bobby Ryan contract and Mike Hoffman in exchange for 17 overall? Would that be enough to get the deal done?

Not a chance. I wouldn’t take that AIDS contract for Karlsson, let alone Hoffman.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not a chance. I wouldn’t take that AIDS contract for Karlsson, let alone Hoffman.

I’d take Ryan if it allowed us to get Karlsson at a significant discount.  

Youd basically have to give us Hoffman for free if Ryan was part of that deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not Devils related, but an interesting piece of information nonetheless:

Mmm..mmm...mmm.  Nothing like some drama from Toronto to keep the offseason interesting.

It'll be interesting to see how long they keep Babcock around if Matthews isn't on board.

36 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I would, Hoffman is that good.  

Haven't done much research as to who's expected to be available at 17 but.. safe to say it'd take the player at least a few years to crack the roster.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I dunno.  Contract sucks, no doubt, but if ownership is willing to buy him out..what's the difference.  A little bit extra on the cap over the next few years won't kill us.

This is assuming, of course, that we don't add one or both of JT and JC.

• Like 1