2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

I dunno.  Contract sucks, no doubt, but if ownership is willing to buy him out..what's the difference.  A little bit extra on the cap over the next few years won't kill us.
This is assuming, of course, that we don't add one or both of JT and JC.

Have you seen the Ryan contract? Too much money and term for a buyout. That contract might be the worst in all of sports, let alone the NHL. DO. NOT. WANT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d take Ryan if it allowed us to get Karlsson at a significant discount.  
Youd basically have to give us Hoffman for free if Ryan was part of that deal.

That discount would have to be more than significant. I’m talking a clearance-level, 75% off, ‘we’re closing our doors’ discount.

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Have you seen the Ryan contract? Too much money and term for a buyout. That contract might be the worst in all of sports, let alone the NHL. DO. NOT. WANT.

It's brutal, but not necessarily a deal breaker.  The guy is still an NHL player, and probably will be for one or two more years.  By the time you just don't have any use for him, it's easier to buy him out if you have to.  Also while you can't plan for it, there's a decent chance that he ends up on LTIR sooner rather than later, as you keep hearing that his hands are completely shot at this point. 

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not Devils related, but an interesting piece of information nonetheless:

Kind of curious how things don't go very well between a coach and a player on future plans...

Coach: We should win more next season....

Player: Nahh, not about that winning sh!t. Just pay me.

Other dude: ??????

Anyone have some ideas? lol

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Kind of curious how things don't go very well between a coach and a player on future plans...

Coach: We should win more next season....

Player: Nahh, not about that winning sh!t. Just pay me.

Other dude: ??????

Anyone have some ideas? lol

I was sort of wondering the same thing.  It seems like some of that should be pretty cut and dry.  Hard to not find middle ground there.

I think the worst contract in hockey has to go to Brent Seabrook, woof. Ryan's is bad, but there are other that are a bit worse.

I do think Ryan can still contribute to a degree in your top 9, but a lot has been made of us having to be weary of the impending Hall and Nico contracts, so I would be cautious taking a contract like Ryan's.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I think the worst contract in hockey has to go to Brent Seabrook, woof. Ryan's is bad, but there are other that are a bit worse.

I do think Ryan can still contribute to a degree in your top 9, but a lot has been made of us having to be weary of the impending Hall and Nico contracts, so I would be cautious taking a contract like Ryan's.

Undoubtedly someone will have to crunch the numbers to see if you can take Ryan's contract, give Karlsson a big extension (which is the only reason you make the trade) and make sure you can comfortably fit in Hall and Nico.  I think you probably could though especially considering that I can't imagine that Ottawa doesn't take Severson in a Karlsson deal, which removes about $4.5 million for the next five years.

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Just out of curiosity, would a trade for Hamilton from CGY also be a win now type move for you? IS the deciding factor the age? With the right off-season, I don't think NJ is that far away from being justified in having a win now strategy. I agree though, Tavares is the better option. Just fun to speculate since I like ROR's game and think on a better team he would excel.

Not in the same way as ROR, no. Age isn't really the deciding factor (I don't think JT is too old, for example) as much as his trend in production coupled with his age + I wonder how well he'll age given his style of game. 

Getting Hamilton would be a win now and in the future move, same as ROR when Buffalo acquired him.

24 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:
Ian Pulz Retweeted

Patrik Eliáš has been named assistant coach of the Czech U20 national team. Marek Židlický will have the same role on U18 team.

I Think Zidlikcy still lives in NJ and coaches a u16 or u18 midget team with the NJ Avalanche program. 

58 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Who really cares what this deserter does, after all!  After all the organization did for him....

Looking back at that contract 100 million over 15 years would be very manageable in todays NHL. I was still very happy he retired and got that contract off the cap.

7 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Looking back at that contract 100 million over 15 years would be very manageable in todays NHL. I was still very happy he retired and got that contract off the cap.

Yeah that time we went to the Stanley Cup finals  with him sucked, we didn’t even win!

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Yeah that time we went to the Stanley Cup finals  with him sucked, we didn’t even win!

hard to win when you get a 5 minutes major and that the other team scores 3 goals on you in a must win game. Not really Kovy's fault lol

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Mfitz was being extremely sarcastic 

I know i was adding to it cause there's indeed people on this board with the belief that Kovy sucked and was never a good player for us. Which is insane. I get being butthurt but being in such denial is a bit ridiculous

8 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I’m still butthurt about it, but it’s idiotic to pretend that Kovalchuk wasn’t the single most electric player to ever wear our jersey.

Hey dude. We all saw it, we all know it. But advanced stats are showing that he was not driving the play or some sh!t so yeah. Then it's undeniable that he was not really good.

Best example of that is that coast to coast against Philly where he deked literally every single Flyers player on the ice and missed the net by an inch. "DID YOU SEE THAT?!?" But..... No shot registered = Dude didn't do sh!t, might as well just dumped the puck or stayed on the bench you bum. Hooray for advanced stats. Fans looking at the games with their eyes will all remember that play forever though

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Mfitz was being extremely sarcastic 

Yup. Could’ve used him for the past 5-6 years. The whole “we got rid of the cap hit” argument is pointless when we didn’t actually use that saved space for anything. We’d have been better off with him.

Of course, later on down the line, sure, he’d have been doing us a favor. 

If I remember correctly he also had a back injury that happened in the ECF I think. Definitely slowed him down. The way he left is what blows, I don't have anything bad to say about him while he was here. He appeared to be a good role/team oriented guy.

Also, Quick got bailed out by so many posts in the first two games. A little more luck and NJ could have taken at least one of those first two games. Completely different series going to LA. 

Oh well. Past is past and Hall is future. 

• Like 1