2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Houston and Austin are somewhat un-Texas like.  Houston is a bit too large and cosmopolitan while Austin is hipster-ville.  Austin is more fun though if you are 21-40, but both are hot and humid as hell in the summer. I was in Houston last year for the Super Bowl, so that's why I was there.  I go to Austin about 4-6 times a year for work.

Dallas/FW and San Antonio are much more Texas-like.  I've heard meh things about Dallas but I heard San Antonio is very nice.

I've heard the exact same thing.  Friend of mine in his early 30s was in Austin a year or two ago and said he had a blast.  A lot to do and a lot of people in that age range.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Never been to Texas. Can’t imagine ever having a reason to go either lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I visit my friend in Austin last September. Super nice city with nice hipster people and tons of young people because of the colleges. Really nice place, but I hear you're only a 15 min drive from "authentic Texas" with the cowboy hats and the desert and all that jazz. I'm dying to get out of NJ and Austin and Houston are on my list of places to go to if I can get a job. I have a friend in Houston too, I haven't been, but he loves it. I'm sure Dallas is nice too. Looks nice anyway.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I've heard the exact same thing.  Friend of mine in his early 30s was in Austin a year or two ago and said he had a blast.  A lot to do and a lot of people in that age range.  

I took my brother to Austin back in November to share my room when I was on a business trip down there for 3 nights.  He is 41 and he said that for a good chunk of places he felt a little old.  He definitely felt old on 6th Street and while he felt a little old on Rainey, he was still pretty good.  I am 34 and still feel a little too old to be on 6th street but I love Rainey (love Icenhauers, Craft Pride, Bangers, and Half Step).

22 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I can vouch for Houston as a fun as fvck city to visit. But if you're a shorter guy (less than 6 feet tall) there's a 100% chance you'll feel like a toddler when you go out to the bar. 

I'm 5'-9" and the bartender literally didn't see me. I had to jump and flail. It wasn't good for the confidence meter.

I'm around 5'2" so I guess I'm screwed.

31 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I can vouch for Houston as a fun as fvck city to visit. But if you're a shorter guy (less than 6 feet tall) there's a 100% chance you'll feel like a toddler when you go out to the bar. 

I'm 5'-9" and the bartender literally didn't see me. I had to jump and flail. It wasn't good for the confidence meter.

Is that the "Everything's bigger in Texas" thing, including the people?  I'm 5'8" so I'm used to being among the shorter people in any given room, but I can't say I've ever been to a city or place that was exclusively people of a certain height lol.

46 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I took my brother to Austin back in November to share my room when I was on a business trip down there for 3 nights.  He is 41 and he said that for a good chunk of places he felt a little old.  He definitely felt old on 6th Street and while he felt a little old on Rainey, he was still pretty good.  I am 34 and still feel a little too old to be on 6th street but I love Rainey (love Icenhauers, Craft Pride, Bangers, and Half Step).

Yeah I hear you on that - I'm in my early/mid 30s as well but I'm an old soul and tend to feel a little out of place at some bars or clubs that cater to younger crowds with their EDM and hipster vibes, but I still can have fun anywhere I go, so I just make it work.

That's so confusing to me. What about Houston / Austin sounds like a hell hole? The high wage/debt ratio? The incredible affordability of real-estate? The lack of income tax? 

I'm considering Austin as my next move. One of my good friends moved there recently. She works behind the counter at a hotel. No college education. She just bought a house for a hair under $100k and it's nicer than my parents 850k home on the jersey shore. 

Texas. Not Austin or Houston specifically. I’m talking the state as a whole.

Texas?    no state income tax, it's a red state............hardly a hell hole

No state income tax is good. Everything else is not.

Austin is rapidly becoming less and less affordable, so act fast on buying real estate there.  The city is the fastest growing in the US but they are still behind on housing.  Living in or near downtown is no longer an affordable option like it was 10 years ago, but living in suburbs like Round Rock, Bastrop, etc are still pretty affordable.

As others have said, Texas is a very attractive state to move to.  I find people to generally being nicer to each other than in the NJ/NY area, the economy is not only robust but booming with jobs aplenty, they have the cheapest gas in the US (it was $2.75/gal when I was there last week for a conference), have no state income tax, and a very well kept up infrastructure.  Literally the only 2 things keeping me from moving there is that I would be away from my family and the damn heat.

Do you have any reasons? Or are you just weirdly opposed to the entire state for some reason. A booming local economy and wildly affordable real-estate is "not good"? 

I have plenty of reasons, but most of them are political in nature, so I’m not discussing them here. Like I said, to each their own.

Went to visit my wife's aunt and uncle who live outside Dallas in Plano (which is where Blake Coleman and Noessen are from).  Went to the Texas state fair, which was pretty awesome.  Fried peanut butter and jelly and banana (I did not want the fried butter or fried pickle).  My wife's uncle is armed to the teeth, so if there's ever a zombie apocalypse I know where I want to be. 

And things are ridiculously cheap all over the country compared to the NY metro area or California.  We had a giant meal for four (no booze) at a really popular BBQ place, and the bill was something like $45.  You could buy a McMansion in Friscoe (which is where a bunch of the Cowboys live) for what a smallish house in the Essex county suburbs cost. 

Went to visit my wife's aunt and uncle who live outside Dallas in Plano (which is where Blake Coleman and Noessen are from).  Went to the Texas state fair, which was pretty awesome.  Fried peanut butter and jelly and banana (I did not want the fried butter or fried pickle).  My wife's uncle is armed to the teeth, so if there's ever a zombie apocalypse I know where I want to be. 
And things are ridiculously cheap all over the country compared to the NY metro area or California.  We had a giant meal for four (no booze) at a really popular BBQ place, and the bill was something like $45.  You could buy a McMansion in Friscoe (which is where a bunch of the Cowboys live) for what a smallish house in the Essex county suburbs cost. 

Not gonna lie, that fried food sounds amazing lol.

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not gonna lie, that fried food sounds amazing lol.

If you ever go south and get Mexican food or BBQ, be prepared to pretty much have it completely ruined. The places in the north I've tried don't even come close. Tampa had a couple nice places for Mexican, but Austin was definitely the best. My friend said Houston is actually known for better food than Austin too FWIW.

Thread got off topic, thanks OEL lol.

• Like 1

If you ever go south and get Mexican food or BBQ, be prepared to pretty much have it completely ruined. The places in the north I've tried don't even come close. Tampa had a couple nice places for Mexican, but Austin was definitely the best. My friend said Houston is actually known for better food than Austin too FWIW.

Yeah you can’t get good Mexican food up here. Obviously the closer you are to the border, the better you’ll get. Best Mexican food I ever had was in San Diego- authentic, real deal Mexican. Nothing I’ve had since comes close.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Is that the "Everything's bigger in Texas" thing, including the people?  I'm 5'8" so I'm used to being among the shorter people in any given room, but I can't say I've ever been to a city or place that was exclusively people of a certain height lol.

They are genetically altered so they are taller than their lady friend’s high hair. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not very good at this stuff. Is the reason he has to wait until July 1 that they cannot give him the 8th year until he's a "free agent"?

Ekman-Larsson isn't a free agent until July 1, 2019. If contract negotiations for an extension can begin in the fnial year of a player's contract, then he'll have to wait until July 1, 2018 to re-sign, whether he gets that 8th year or not.

Ekman-Larsson isn't a free agent until July 1, 2019. If contract negotiations for an extension can begin in the fnial year of a player's contract, then he'll have to wait until July 1, 2018 to re-sign, whether he gets that 8th year or not.

Ah that’s right. I think that’s why we can’t sign Hall until July 1, 2019.

13 minutes ago, nessus said:

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ah that’s right. I think that’s why we can’t sign Hall until July 1, 2019.

Got it. 

57 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My brother said the same thing when he had BBQ in Austin last November.  He said after that he can't even halfway enjoy any BBQ made here in the tri-state area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If you ever go south and get Mexican food or BBQ, be prepared to pretty much have it completely ruined.

Never had BBQ in the south, but I have been to Southern California and the Mexican food in the chain restaurants there absolutely blew away everything I have had locally.