2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

He's been doing this for 20 years.  He hasn't changed and journalism hasn't changed - there's just more ability to amplify a terrible take.

That's fair enough, my perspective is that of a 28 year old.  

That said, even in my lifetime, I feel like twitter has made things exponentially worse even since I was in high school.

• Like 2

But anyway, at what point does the league step in regarding the situation in Ottawa?  Does the league even have any authority to do so?

It's an utter and complete dumpster fire.. mismanaged from the top down.  Kinda sorta feel for their fans a bit.

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

But anyway, at what point does the league step in regarding the situation in Ottawa?  Does the league even have any authority to do so?

It's an utter and complete dumpster fire.. mismanaged from the top down.  Kinda sorta feel for their fans a bit.

I can't imagine they have the ability to, or would want to, do anything in regards to this situation.  It doesn't look good for the sport, but I don't think it's gotten much attention here in the U.S. (at least not yet anyway), and if they were to even attempt to step in, which I still doubt they could, it would probably only bring about negative publicity.  I think at this point it's a legal matter being that they applied for (and I guess received?) an injunction for protection.  The league, or perhaps the team itself more likely, might have a conduct policy, but to me this still seems like more of a personal/individual issue that takes place outside the league and is someone's private business.  Not sure that they'd be able to dictate or implement an action or punishment, at least not in this stage of the ordeal where it's still pretty much a he-said she-said thing.  If someone is found guilty in a court, then perhaps they might be able to do something at that point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

They can suspend staff (like Randy Lee) and I don't doubt Bettman wouldn't do all but force a sale if he had to.

That said, even in my lifetime, I feel like twitter has made things exponentially worse even since I was in high school.

Social media has made the world a worse place in more ways than I care to think about. It does a lot of good things too, but it mostly sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Marshall said:

They can suspend staff (like Randy Lee) and I don't doubt Bettman wouldn't do all but force a sale if he had to.

And that would only happen if Melnyk couldn't afford to keep the team, although his creditors would probably force him to sell before Bettman would.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm also 28 and really thankful I got to live my childhood and adolescence without most of today's technology and most social media(myspace was a thing). I didn't even have a cellphone until I was 18 and it was this little T-mobile piece of crap that I paid like $8 a month for 300 texts and thought it was a total waste of money. My girlfriend made me get it lol. 

43 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm also 28 and really thankful I got to live my childhood and adolescence without most of today's technology and most social media(myspace was a thing). I didn't even have a cellphone until I was 18 and it was this little T-mobile piece of crap that I paid like $8 a month for 300 texts and thought it was a total waste of money. My girlfriend made me get it lol. 

I refused to text until like 2010 or so...  now I refuse to talk on my phone.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't imagine they have the ability to, or would want to, do anything in regards to this situation.  It doesn't look good for the sport, but I don't think it's gotten much attention here in the U.S. (at least not yet anyway), and if they were to even attempt to step in, which I still doubt they could, it would probably only bring about negative publicity.  I think at this point it's a legal matter being that they applied for (and I guess received?) an injunction for protection.  The league, or perhaps the team itself more likely, might have a conduct policy, but to me this still seems like more of a personal/individual issue that takes place outside the league and is someone's private business.  Not sure that they'd be able to dictate or implement an action or punishment, at least not in this stage of the ordeal where it's still pretty much a he-said she-said thing.  If someone is found guilty in a court, then perhaps they might be able to do something at that point.

Also, she's not part of the league and is not subject to any conduct policy. Nobody is saying Hoffman did anything, just his girl. The NHL has no control over what she says, good, bad or otherwise. There's no "keep yo' girl in check" clause. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Per Brian Compton of NHL.com, PA Parenteau has announced his retirement.

I can imagine this news as a great relief to his teammates as they wouldn't have to put up with his smell anymore.

His career may be over, but his impact on the (smell of the) game will live forever.

Edited by mfitz804

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just a heads up, game 7 of the Calder Cup Finals is tonight- first Finals game 7 in the Calder Cup in 15 years: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/game-7-of-calder-cup-final-prime-proving-ground-for-maple-leafs-stars-prospects

Hopefully Texas can find a way to steal one more so Leafs fans don’t have another reason to be yelling “best pipeline ever, eh!” to anyone who will listen.   

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The speculation on what the ‘more’ could be is that there could be a Bryan Colangelo type of situation with a team official having burner Twitter accounts.

Travis Yost wrote a blog entry on what he suspected was a Senators burner account, although on HF Boards someone made a fairly convincing case that it's just a really big koolaid drinking Sens fan.

Yeah, but Ottawa is really, really royally screwed.  They'll likely be selling Karlsson, Hoffman and Duchene at discounts, Hoffman at an extreme discount.  Even Karlsson might bring a package where the best NHLer is someone like Damon Severson.  And they don't have their own first round pick next year.  Can't think of any team I've ever rooted for that had hit bottom like this.

• Like 1

Travis Yost wrote a blog entry on what he suspected was a Senators burner account, although on HF Boards someone made a fairly convincing case that it's just a really big koolaid drinking Sens fan.
Yeah, but Ottawa is really, really royally screwed.  They'll likely be selling Karlsson, Hoffman and Duchene at discounts, Hoffman at an extreme discount.  Even Karlsson might bring a package where the best NHLer is someone like Damon Severson.  And they don't have their own first round pick next year.  Can't think of any team I've ever rooted for that had hit bottom like this.

Yeah that franchise is fvcked. They won’t be un-fvcked until they’re no longer owned by Eugene Melnyk.