2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

9 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

If you're Ottawa, I think you seriously consider giving up your #4 overall to the Avalanche this year to hold on to your first-round pick next year. I think we're about to see expansion-level Ottawa for a few years, and a proper re-build cannot and will not happen without a top-2 or 3 pick. This year's 4th overall likely isn't a franchise player. 

It's an interesting idea, but I guess the problem is that there's no guarantee that whoever holds Ottawa's pick next year will end up with Jack Hughes, and I have no idea how good the next three or four players are supposed to be, even if you could peg the top four picks in next year's draft a year early, which you usually can't.

If you're Ottawa, I think you seriously consider giving up your #4 overall to the Avalanche this year to hold on to your first-round pick next year. I think we're about to see expansion-level Ottawa for a few years, and a proper re-build cannot and will not happen without a top-2 or 3 pick. This year's 4th overall likely isn't a franchise player. 

I wouldn’t do that. Hockey is a weird sport sometimes. What if Ottawa miraculously makes the playoffs next year? Yeah, it’s incredibly unlikely, but even if they don’t, there’s no guarantee they’ll win the lottery. You have #4 right now, and it’s a sure thing that you know. What if Zadina falls to #4, which is possible? I definitely feel where you’re coming from, but I’d keep that pick if I was Ottawa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

It’s sounding a lot like Zadina is gonna fall to that 4 spot, and as much as I like Zadina, you can’t risk giving up Jack Hughes next year who by my judgement is probably on the same level as Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel. I agree Ottawa should just wash their hands of this and give the #4 to Colorado

• Like 1

It’s sounding a lot like Zadina is gonna fall to that 4 spot, and as much as I like Zadina, you can’t risk giving up Jack Hughes next year who by my judgement is probably on the same level as Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel. I agree Ottawa should just wash their hands of this and give the #4 to Colorado

And then when Ottawa doesn’t win the lottery next year, they’ll look even dumber.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

And then when Ottawa doesn’t win the lottery next year they’ll look even dumber.

If Ottawa is as bad next year as we're expecting them to be, they would probably end up at 4th or 5th again anyways if they lose the lottery, so they would be at square one and get a prospect of similar quality without risking giving away a franchise center prospect in Jack Hughes. To me it's a no-brainer, but it is Ottawa we're talking about.

3 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

If Ottawa is as bad next year as we're expecting them to be, they would probably end up at 4th or 5th again anyways if they lose the lottery, so they would be at square one and get a prospect of similar quality without risking giving away a franchise center prospect in Jack Hughes. To me it's a no-brainer, but it is Ottawa we're talking about.

Didn't Ottawa already pass the point where they could just tell Colorado it's this year's pick instead of next year's, and now Colorado has to agree to it?  If so, why does Colorado agree to give them their pick back for anything other than the main piece in a trade for Karlsson? 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Didn't Ottawa already pass the point where they could just tell Colorado it's this year's pick instead of next year's, and now Colorado has to agree to it?  If so, why does Colorado agree to give them their pick back for anything other than the main piece in a trade for Karlsson? 

I was under the impression that Ottawa had until the day of the draft to notify Colorado, but I may be wrong. I was listening to the 31 Thoughts podcast today and Friedman was still discussing the Ottawa situation as if the Sens still had the option of surrendering this year's pick instead of next year's, but again he might be mistaken as well.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

I was under the impression that Ottawa had until the day of the draft to notify Colorado, but I may be wrong. I was listening to the 31 Thoughts podcast today and Friedman was still discussing the Ottawa situation as if the Sens still had the option of surrendering this year's pick instead of next year's, but again he might be mistaken as well.

Possible you're correct, but I haven't heard anyone really talking about it, even on HF Boards where they literally bring up every hockey move you could possibly conceive of and then some.

If you're right though, Ottawa should trade Karlsson before the draft, get another pick in this first round, perhaps one next year and bite the bullet on losing out on Zadina or Quinn Hughes.  You just can't be in a position where someone else is drafting someone of Jack Hughes caliber with your pick.

EDIT:  According to this, Ottawa can give its 2018 pick to Colorado right up to the time it's on the clock.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2018/6/14/17462058/could-colorado-avalanche-pick-fourth-at-the-2018-nhl-entry-draft-ottawa-sneators-trade-rumor

Edited by Daniel

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

What I mean is who are we going to give up for either player? Cause I’m sure these “fans” would say Zacha

I think Zacha is and will be a big disappointment, but he has more value in a trade since there are GMs out there that probably still like his upside.  So I don’t feel bad about missing out on either of these guys.  And I’m actually very happy we got Vatanen for Henrique rather than the rumored Galchenyuk deal.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

OTT is such a dumpster fire of an organization.  It seems to start with the owner who does not know when to stop interfering and just let the professionals run the team the right way.

9 hours ago, sokar said:

and it begins

On the surface this seems like a really good deal for the Coyotes.   Watch Galchenyuk instantly go back to 30 goals out of the spotlight and on the wing in Arizona.  

Not sure what Montreal is doing.  Domi is a decent talent but all you hear is that they need scoring and they need centers.   Domi is a winger who has scored 9 goals each of the last two seasons and last year, 4 of them were with the goalie pulled.   I guess this means they’ll probably reach for that Finnish C at the #3 pick in draft instead of taking Zadina as well.   

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

All i can say is watching MTL collapse like this is a beautiful beautiful thing.  :wub:

I think for Habs fans, they're far more concerned about Carey Price. They're hoping last season was an anomaly. At 10.5 mil against your cap, you gotta hope he comes back to form. I know it's a lil crazy, Wonder if he'll be an islander? 

11 hours ago, sokar said:

and it begins

Just another trade Mtl will end up regretting. Galchenyuk is yet another good player they drove to the edge. The whole media mafia here in Montreal likes to target a player or two (usually the only good ones on the team) and rip them apart in a truly unrivaled moronic way and demand for months on end that they get traded until eventually the GM actually does it (what happened with PK). Come January they will turn around as if nothing happened in the last months and absolutely rip Bergevin a new one for ''trading a good player''. 

This team, the media around it and a good chunk of its fanbase is, without a doubt, the most bipolar and retarded group of people I have witnessed in any sport if not just in life in general. 

They will also trade or lose Pacioretty to free agency next year. It's only a question of if they can find what they will consider as a suitable price for him before his contract runs out.   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SS-SS said:

Just another trade Mtl will end up regretting. Galchenyuk is yet another good player they drove to the edge. The whole media mafia here in Montreal likes to target a player or two (usually the only good ones on the team) and rip them apart in a truly unrivaled moronic way and demand for months on end that they get traded until eventually the GM actually does it (what happened with PK). Come January they will turn around as if nothing happened in the last months and absolutely rip Bergevin a new one for ''trading a good player''. 

This team, the media around it and a good chunk of its fanbase is, without a doubt, the most bipolar and retarded group of people I have witnessed in any sport if not just in life in general. 

They will also trade or lose Pacioretty to free agency next year. It's only a question of if they can find what they will consider as a suitable price for him before his contract runs out.   

And do not forget, hypersensitive about anything and everything Habs;  they must not have anything else to worry about.  What a small world they must live in!