2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

Surprisingly a big week of hockey events.

2 days until we find out if Hallsy is properly rewarded for his insane season and if Boyle gets his recognition for kicking cancer in the taint.

4 days we find out who our next draft pick is.

Sorry but the days right now are long and horrendously slow for me, I’ll take anything hockey that I can that isn’t a debate over which province/city sucks more 

• Like 5

Good point. More interested in the awards at this point than the draft pick. Not expecting we’ll know anything about whoever is picked #17 and whether they’ll be NHL material for a while. The awards will be instant gratification (or disappointment). 

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Here’s the kind of thing I’m talking about with regards to the Rag rivalry that out of town fans would normally not know about- this is the rink right near my hometown. This is unacceptable. The Devils need to do something about this. 1ea3139344345b143b4ea83895bf62fe.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skylands is a sh!thole.    That said, they aren't the only rink in north jersey pulling this crap.  Protec Ponds in Somerset also partners with the Rags, and hosts their learn to skate program during the winter.  Nothing you can do to stop this from happening, but you know if it was the other way around, the Rags would be bitching about the Devils invading their territory.

• Like 1

Skylands is a sh!thole.    That said, they aren't the only rink in north jersey pulling this crap.  Protec Ponds in Somerset also partners with the Rags, and hosts their learn to skate program during the winter.  Nothing you can do to stop this from happening, but you know if it was the other way around, the Rags would be bitching about the Devils invading their territory.

Oh you know those a$$holes would complain. Maybe it’s time for the Devils to turn the tables and give it a shot. Give these rinks some incentives to partnering with them or something, I don’t know. But regardless of who owns these rinks and who they’re a fan of, the Devils (if they haven’t already) should reach out to these Rag rinks and see if there’s anything they can offer to make it worth the owners’ while.

From what I have heard from several people who work at these rinks, the Rangers just flat out have a more robust program for these rinks.  This is less on the Rangers and more on the Devils to get feet on the streets to visit these places, sell them on partnering with the Devils and then the Devils following through both with $ and with manpower.

Can't blame the rinks of the Rangers are out there offering their services while the Devils are just turning a blind eye to it.

• Like 2

From what I have heard from several people who work at these rinks, the Rangers just flat out have a more robust program for these rinks.  This is less on the Rangers and more on the Devils to get feet on the streets to visit these places, sell them on partnering with the Devils and then the Devils following through both with $ and with manpower.
Can't blame the rinks of the Rangers are out there offering their services while the Devils are just turning a blind eye to it.

If what those people are telling you is true, then the Devils need to man up here. NJ is Devils country. They need to step up. I sincerely hope someone with the team sees this, as I know they read some of the Devils message boards that are out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's true.  The Devils have done a better job these last few years, but they don't invest in grassroots community efforts at the same level as teams like the Rags and Flyers and it hurts them.

• Like 2

That's true.  The Devils have done a better job these last few years, but they don't invest in grassroots community efforts at the same level as teams like the Rags and Flyers and it hurts them.

They need to start. Lou’s been gone three years. There are no more excuses.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It starts with having a truly competitive team for the first time in years and bringing the casual fans back. Last year was a great start.

I'm really curious about the population NHL fans in the state.I would be surprised if the Devils even had 1/3 of that. I always feel like it's 2 or 3 to 1 rags to everything else. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

In fairness, it'll take a long while to repair the 'damage' Lou did as far as PR/marketing is concerned.

Maybe damage isn't the right word, but I feel like the Devils started at.. nothing. The ground floor.  So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It starts with having a truly competitive team for the first time in years and bringing the casual fans back. Last year was a great start.

I'm really curious about the population NHL fans in the state.I would be surprised if the Devils even had 1/3 of that. I always feel like it's 2 or 3 to 1 rags to everything else. 

I don't think having a competitive team really relates to why these rinks don't get the support of the Devils.

By and large I do not think the rinks care where they get this support from just as long as they get what they perceive to get the "best bang for their buck" in terms of the professional team providing services (free clinics, merchandise, promotions, etc).  Devils are way behind the Rangers in that respect.

41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I can imagine some of these rinks sign agreements with these NHL teams for this sort of stuff.  Maybe it will just take more time until the Devils can swoop in once the Ranger deals are done?

I could be dead wrong and the Devils are just still slacking at this.

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

In fairness, it'll take a long while to repair the 'damage' Lou did as far as PR/marketing is concerned.

Maybe damage isn't the right word, but I feel like the Devils started at.. nothing. The ground floor.  So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Devils have 3 main owners before the current group of guys; McMullen who was too cheap to market the team, YankeeNets who didn't care to market, and JVB who couldn't afford to market.  The Devils are literally about 30 years behind where they should be.

Considering that in 3 years the new ownership group has done a TON to bridge that gap.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Devils have 3 main owners before the current group of guys; McMullen who was too cheap to market the team, YankeeNets who didn't care to market, and JVB who couldn't afford to market.  The Devils are literally about 30 years behind where they should be.

Considering that in 3 years the new ownership group has done a TON to bridge that gap.

Well said, and I think there's a pretty good chance they'll get there sooner than people think.  While I imagine part of it was an absence makes the heart grow fonder kind of thing,  we saw real sell outs in the first round of the playoffs when it looked like we were going to get swept.  Still I think a lot of is due to improved marketing.  Even as recently as 2012, there were a lot of empty seats in the first round despite what the team officially announced.

And it doesn't take that much.  How many rinks are we talking about 5 or 6.  For less than the salary of one guy who sits in the press box most nights, you could make them all affiliated with the Devils.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

Don't get this one.  Give the guy what he wants.  He couldn't have been asking for a Babcock contract, right?

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, and apparently he actually had some kind of automatic extension if he won the Cup, but apparently they couldn't agree on $.  Meet your new head coach of the Isles.

Ffs..

52 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't think having a competitive team really relates to why these rinks don't get the support of the Devils.

By and large I do not think the rinks care where they get this support from just as long as they get what they perceive to get the "best bang for their buck" in terms of the professional team providing services (free clinics, merchandise, promotions, etc).  Devils are way behind the Rangers in that respect.

Having a competitive team helps build interest and develop a larger more robust fan base(see Lightning's success in Florida). These are the people rinks try to attract and appeal to with the NHL partnerships. It's partly to do with what you said about the services, but also about appealing to a market. North Jersey is filled with Rags fans and NY transplants. 

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Having a competitive team helps build interest and develop a larger more robust fan base(see Lightning's success in Florida). These are the people rinks try to attract and appeal to with the NHL partnerships. It's partly to do with what you said about the services, but also about appealing to a market. North Jersey is filled with Rags fans and NY transplants. 

These rinks don't care about which team they are partnering with them, they care about which one is going to do the most in their partnership.  In that case the Devils are still way behind the Rangers.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

These rinks don't care about which team they are partnering with them, they care about which one is going to do the most in their partnership.  In that case the Devils are still way behind the Rangers.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

Agree to disagree. Whether it's through the services provided or team support/marketing, in the end it's all about revenue generation and I think that goes to the Rags anyway you cut it.