2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

48 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

These rinks don't care about which team they are partnering with them, they care about which one is going to do the most in their partnership.  In that case the Devils are still way behind the Rangers.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

I think this is right.  Plus, sometimes the people running these rinks have connections with the Rags and automatically default to them when looking to partner on things.  I know that's the case with Protec.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If what those people are telling you is true, then the Devils need to man up here. NJ is Devils country. They need to step up. I sincerely hope someone with the team sees this, as I know they read some of the Devils message boards that are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on the right track here, but there is so much more to do.  Time to take it back....

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, and apparently he actually had some kind of automatic extension if he won the Cup, but apparently they couldn't agree on $.  Meet your new head coach of the Isles.

Trotz and Lou?  Interesting....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Would be kind of crazy to take a year off when his value is at its absolute highest right now. 

There’s literally one open coaching position, so he might actually be in less demand now than he will be a few months into the season when coaches start to get fired.  

Other possibility is that he thinks he might have a shot at the Seattle job, even though they technically hired Tippett for that advisory position. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There’s literally one open coaching position, so he might actually be in less demand now than he will be a few months into the season when coaches start to get fired. 

Kind of irrelevant if he decided he’s taking a year off, no?

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Would be kind of crazy to take a year off when his value is at its absolute highest right now. 

His value might indeed be at its highest right now, but I can't imagine if he takes just a year off that it'll go down all that much, if it all, after just one season.  At that point he'll still be a coach who's won a Stanley Cup, and his most recent season and body of work as a coach will have been as such.  

7 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Wake the Sharks’ fans up. They acquired Mike Hoffman at 5am local.

ETA: 

Wow.  Boedker's good, but I think that speaks volumes about Hoffman and this whole ordeal if they basically swapped two other players and picks in this deal in exchange for Boedker and Hoffman.  Ottawa must be thrilled right now.

Surprised they managed to get that even much for him. Also surprised another team is willing to get involved in the drama by trading for Hoffman.

Then again, they managed to keep Evander "Character Issues" Kane in line so maybe they're not worried about it 

Edited by Devilsfan118

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Surprised they managed to get that even much for him. Also surprised another team is willing to get involved in the drama by trading for Hoffman.

Then again, they managed to keep Evander "Character Issues" Kane in line so maybe they're not worried about it 

Hoffman goes beyond character issues.  If the allegations against his GF are true it’ll be really tough for guys who have families to deal with that.  

But from a hockey deal perspective, Hoffman is way better than Boedker.  Boedker seems to have settled into being a 30-40 pt winger.  Hoffman is closer to a 60 point winger who had developed good chemistry with Matt Duchene.  Serious downgrade for the Sens.  Again, just speaking about the hockey, not the behind the scenes allegations which led to this deal.

48 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hoffman and Kane on the same team eh? Building a real douchebag brigade out in SJ.

Lol to be fair Hoffman could still have no clue his gf did this stuff, if she even did.  It's not like it would be hard for her to hide it.... If he actually didn't know I kinda feel for the guy, if his gf of 10 years says she didn't do anything what is he supposed to do? Throw her under the bus with no proof? Gonna be interesting to see what comes from all of that. 

51 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I get this sinking feeling the Rangers are going to trade for Karlsson.  It makes too much sense.  The Rangers can give them a package that involves #7 overall, Hayes/Sjkei and other stuff.  They can then package their picks at the bottom of the first round and maybe one of their seconds to trade up into the middle of the first round.  On Ottawa's end, they can then cede #4 OA to Colorado and not miss out on the Jack Hughes sweepstakes next year when you know they'll be terrible. 

Lol to be fair Hoffman could still have no clue his gf did this stuff, if she even did.  It's not like it would be hard for her to hide it.... If he actually didn't know I kinda feel for the guy, if his gf of 10 years says she didn't do anything what is he supposed to do? Throw her under the bus with no proof? Gonna be interesting to see what comes from all of that. 

He knows now. And he’s still with her. So, douchebag.

I get this sinking feeling the Rangers are going to trade for Karlsson.  It makes too much sense.  The Rangers can give them a package that involves #7 overall, Hayes/Sjkei and other stuff.  They can then package their picks at the bottom of the first round and maybe one of their seconds to trade up into the middle of the first round.  On Ottawa's end, they can then cede #4 OA to Colorado and not miss out on the Jack Hughes sweepstakes next year when you know they'll be terrible. 

The Rags have 9, not 7, but yeah nothing would surprise me. I’m fully prepared for both the Rags and Philly to make moves that will piss us off, since both have multiple 1’s.

9 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

It sounds like that was the plan all along, but is there a chance they actually wanted to keep Hoffman and a few players came out immediately to the GM and said "fvck that I am not dealing with that crazy bitch tearing apart our locker room"? 

Hoffamn was reportedly on the trade block going back to before the deadline.  (The Devils were rumored to be interested.)  Apparently the Sens started shopping him again the weekend before the news broke and had a pretty high asking price.  If that's true, a lot of GMs will likely be operating under the assumption that Dorian negotiates in bad faith by withholding information like that.

My guess is that up until last week, Hoffman's teammates might have thought his GF was a bit strange, but they were obviously able to deal with it.  Karlsson and his wife probably got some information after the season connecting the social media posts to her, or at least enough to lead them to that conclusion. 

24 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

It sounds like that was the plan all along, but is there a chance they actually wanted to keep Hoffman and a few players came out immediately to the GM and said "fvck that I am not dealing with that crazy bitch tearing apart our locker room"? 

That seems unlikely. 

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow.  Boedker's good, but I think that speaks volumes about Hoffman and this whole ordeal if they basically swapped two other players and picks in this deal in exchange for Boedker and Hoffman.  Ottawa must be thrilled right now.

He's a poor man's Adam Henrique. That's not a good return on a legit top line scorer. It's entirely possible Ottawa really likes him and probably do so in no small part because his AAV is 4m but salary is 3m.

Edited by Marshall