2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

13 minutes ago, Marshall said:

He's a poor man's Adam Henrique. That's not a good return on a legit top line scorer. It's entirely possible Ottawa really likes him and probably do so in no small part because his AAV is 4m but salary is 3m.

Poor man's Adam Henrique sounds like replacement level forward.  Tallon is saying that Ottawa wanted "players" for Hoffman, and not picks, so pretty obvious that the cap floor is what they had in mind. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He knows now. And he’s still with her. So, douchebag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s only in the news now. Guaranteed he knew before that. 

Is there any real proof yet? Innocent before being proved guilty really means nothing anymore. 

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He was traded twice in one day, that’s a decent amount of proof to me.

Meh, all based on speculation. I get that they had to trade him but I'm not hating on him until there's legit proof she even did this in the first place and he actually knew. 

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

He's a poor man's Adam Henrique. That's not a good return on a legit top line scorer. It's entirely possible Ottawa really likes him and probably do so in no small part because his AAV is 4m but salary is 3m.

I'm having trouble with this analogy. Are you saying that Henrique is a more legit top line scorer?

28 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Is there any real proof yet? Innocent before being proved guilty really means nothing anymore. 

He knows what she is accused of. Some of it was on social media, I haven't seen any of it, but I am 1000% percent sure that if anything like that was posted on social media, Hoffman knew about it. Even if he doesn't follow his GF's posts, which seems unlikely, I would have to imagine SOMEONE, if not Karlsson himself, would've been like "dude, look what your GF just said". 

Also, we aren't talking about her being on trial, we're talking about a guy getting traded. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't apply, nor does it even matter whether its true or not. The guy became a huge distraction one way or the other. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He knows what she is accused of. Some of it was on social media, I haven't seen any of it, but I am 1000% percent sure that if anything like that was posted on social media, Hoffman knew about it. Even if he doesn't follow his GF's posts, which seems unlikely, I would have to imagine SOMEONE, if not Karlsson himself, would've been like "dude, look what your GF just said". 

Also, we aren't talking about her being on trial, we're talking about a guy getting traded. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't apply, nor does it even matter whether its true or not. The guy became a huge distraction one way or the other. 

it's not innocent until proven guilty, but I haven't seen anything reported that definitively or even probably links the statements to Hoffman's GF.  Obviously the other players' wives didn't care for her, and quite possibly she's got a screw loose.  So it very well could have been that Karlsson's wife made a deduction that it was her, but that she ultimately might be proven to be incorrect.

But from Ottawa's standpoint and really the standpoint of any other team, whether the allegations are true doesn't mean anything, much less what Hoffman knew.  Hoffman obviously could not stay in Ottawa however it turned out.  And other teams were wary of taking the risk of trading for him, which explains why a small market team is where he ended up.

Plus, when someone is accused of being an a$$hole, they’re usually an a$$hole.

it's not innocent until proven guilty, but I haven't seen anything reported that definitively or even probably links the statements to Hoffman's GF.  Obviously the other players' wives didn't care for her, and quite possibly she's got a screw loose.  So it very well could have been that Karlsson's wife made a deduction that it was her, but that she ultimately might be proven to be incorrect.
But from Ottawa's standpoint and really the standpoint of any other team, whether the allegations are true doesn't mean anything, much less what Hoffman knew.  Hoffman obviously could not stay in Ottawa however it turned out.  And other teams were wary of taking the risk of trading for him, which explains why a small market team is where he ended up.

A judge granted an order of protection. I don’t know how the law works in Canada, but I’d imagine there was a good reason for that.

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But it wasn't under her own Twitter name, it was some random accounts that were made, how would he definitely know that was her unless he's starting over her back every time she's on a phone. He's been with her for 10 years of course he's gonna take her side. 

I agree that he had to be traded, I'm not arguing that. I'm just not saying he's a piece of sh!t scumbag until more proof comes out that he actually is. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A judge granted an order of protection. I don’t know how the law works in Canada, but I’d imagine there was a good reason for that.

Is there a link to that being actually granted? I know she was seeking one but nothing was actually served yet. 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm not positive how Canadian law works, but from stuff I've read that's not entirely accurate.  Karlsson's wife made a perfunctory albeit sworn written statement of what she believed Hoffman's GF was doing and a judge signed an order that basically set the matter down for further proceedings until after Hoffman's GF was served, which apparently didn't happen.   I imagine it will all be a moot point after Hoffman packs up and moves to Florida and once Karlsson is traded.  So we really don't know that much at this point and probably never will.

Edited by Daniel

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

But it wasn't under her own Twitter name, it was some random accounts that were made, how would he definitely know that was her unless he's starting over her back every time she's on a phone. He's been with her for 10 years of course he's gonna take her side. 

I agree that he had to be traded, I'm not arguing that. I'm just not saying he's a piece of sh!t scumbag until more proof comes out that he actually is. 

This is where I am at. Also, maybe he is just stupid? It's just an idea...

Stupid A: I'm a professional athlete at the biggest stage of my career and I'm going to throw it away and tarnish everything I've worked for just for some lolz with my lady by being a massive scumbag and maliciously harassing my teammate etc.

OR

Stupid B: I love my future wife and I have been with her for a long time. I truthfully don't know anything about who is behind this harassment, but my future wife says she isn't to blame for it and despite that she doesn't like the Karlssons and all the signs point to her being a malignant c....(or maybe not idk) I'm going to stand by her to my own determent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Remember my warning that journalists, especially sports journalists, are terrible at accurately describing legal proceedings.  I don't know how litigant "files a restraining order."  At most she may or may not have obtained an order (saying what is unclear) that she was supposed to serve, which she apparently didn't.

• Like 2

Remember my warning that journalists, especially sports journalists, are terrible at accurately describing legal proceedings.  I don't know how litigant "files a restraining order."  At most she may or may not have obtained an order (saying what is unclear) that she was supposed to serve, which she apparently didn't.

I hear ya. It was reported by a few different sources last week that the judge had granted the OOP, but who knows lol.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This is why I'll wait until we get more info

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Yeah; Ottawa got fleeced, not sure how anyone can have a different opinion than that. 

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

They got rid of a HUGE problem.  30 teams didn't want to touch that with a 10 foot pole, as evidenced by San Jose immediately shipping him off to Florida.  If he was that good and Ottawa truly lost out on the deal that badly, San Jose would have kept him.  But because he's such an issue, I am sure Ottawa's management is just glad to have gotten something decent in return at all.  Literally two or three days ago it was a reasonable expectation that Hoffman's only option would be waivers and Ottawa would lose him for nothing.  

In respect to what San Jose got for Hoffman by flipping him to Florida, sure, Ottawa didn't get as much as they did, but that's neither here nor there.  I'm sure Ottawa didn't know, nor would give two fvcks, what San Jose did/planned to do with Hoffman once they unloaded him.  It's not their concern anymore, and they're just relieved that he's gone.  The fact that they got Boedker as well is just a bonus.  He's a relatively young forward who is capable of potting 40 or so points.  The guy played most of his career on sh!tty Phoenix and Colorado.  Watch him thrive with the right linemates, it wouldn't surprise me at all.  

Bottom line is this move for Ottawa keeps their captain happy, so I really don't see how that can be perceived as a bad thing.

35 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yup, you can file FOR a restraining order, i.e. make an application for it. But one doesn't file a restraining order.

In any event, IF it was Hoffman's gf doing it, I would be reasonably certain he knew about it. 

3 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Unless Florida trades Mike Hoffman, I guess we can safely assume they are not interested in Karlsson since he'll obviously never play on a team that has Mike Hoffman on it again... 

I think that we can be sure of. 

FWIW...  ETA: How much should you give up for an Elite talent that may not want to sign with you after the year? I guess not much if you're not 1 player short of being a Stanley Cup contender? 

There is word today that Artemi Panarin has told CLB that he is not ready to consider an extension “at this time.” (UFA July 2019.) As a result, the Blue Jackets are testing the market for him.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

8 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

FWIW...  ETA: How much should you give up for an Elite talent that may not want to sign with you after the year? I guess not much if you're not 1 player short of being a Stanley Cup contender? 

There is word today that Artemi Panarin has told CLB that he is not ready to consider an extension “at this time.” (UFA July 2019.) As a result, the Blue Jackets are testing the market for him.

This dude murders us every time we play Columbus. It might be worth it to get him just so we don't have to play against him anymore lol.