2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

12 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

Fine with me. That's a lot of money to dish out and will kill us in cap in the later years

Yeah but there's a good in between where you actually win something so the cap trouble was worth it. Being in good position with the cap and not winning sh!t is not any better lol

• Like 3

so after all what do we really need when it comes to signing, re-signing or trading for players

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

??? -  Zacha - Johansson

Wood - Zajac - Bratt

Coleman - Boyle - Noesen

Based on our roster. We got a good but upgradable first line. We got a question mark in Zacha being a legit top 6 centre... Johansson is a top6 player but can he stay healthy? I feel our 2nd line LW spot is open or could be upgraded. I feel Wood is a perfect 3rd line LW, he's certainly a work in progress but he's improving and contributing enough. Zajac's perfect spot at this time of his career is 3rd C i feel so he's perfect for that. Bratt has top 6 potentials, still very young so I also feel he's perfect for that role if he goes back to his play from early last season. I'm pretty confident in our 4th line now too. Obviously, Boyle could be upgraded and will be next year I'm sure.

I'm still not sure if our rookies are an upgrade over some roster player at the moment but they will be, McLeod is kind of hard to gauge at this point. Boyle leaving next season will obviously open up a spot for them. 

So obviously if we can sign a good player that pushes everyone down it's obviously a no brainer or it's making some guys expendable for trades. I kept saying that the best thing about signing a guy like Tavares is that it'd make guys like Zacha expendable that we could package for a Dman. Cause really Carlson is gone... De Haan, god knows and there's not much out there to sign.. and if we trade for one well we'd take a step back at the same time.

Our defence though could use a lot of extra love lol Vatanen is fine on the top pairing but Greene has to get fewer minutes this season. Butcher was sheltered last season and will likely take on a bigger role this season. Lovejoy as a 3rd pairing guy is fine i feel. Not sure if any of our D prospects are ready to take a big step... rumours about Severson are strange cause we really can't trade him unless someone equivalent at the very least is coming back... and it has to be a Dman.

Greene - Vatanen

Mueller - Severson

Butcher - Lovejoy

I wonder what a Severson + Zacha package could fetch....

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

so after all what do we really need when it comes to signing, re-signing or trading for players

??? -  Zacha - Johansson

Wood - Zajac - Bratt

Coleman - Boyle - Noesen

Greene - Vatanen

Mueller - Severson

Butcher - Lovejoy

We need a 2nd line LW and C and Greene to retire and an upgrade over Severson. 

We’d be going exactly nowhere with Zacha on our second line unless he has a total breakout season. Ditto for Zajac, which I think is more likely. 

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We need a 2nd line LW and C and Greene to retire and an upgrade over Severson. 

We’d be going exactly nowhere with Zacha on our second line unless he has a total breakout season. Ditto for Zajac, which I think is more likely. 

yeah. i just feel re-signing a guy like Maroon would be great... but it wouldn't bring us to the next level either. Obviously though Nico and Bratt will likely improve so that will help us. Also hopefully Mojo gets to play a full season

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Carlson re-signing with the Caps. 8x8.

Disappointing.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Though not sure I'd want him at 8x8 to be honest.

A solid Dman but really only exceptional one year. I think 8x8 is too much. WAS wont like that deal in a few years but I think they're in win now mode.

With his skating ability, I think Skinner would fit our system perfectly and slot right in our 2nd LW spot. Wonder what the asking price is for him?

but at the same time if were going to trade assets it probably should be for a D

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

With his skating ability, I think Skinner would fit our system perfectly and slot right in our 2nd LW spot. Wonder what the asking price is for him?

but at the same time if were going to trade assets it probably should be for a D

Sign de Haan, trade for Skinner. 

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I’ve seen (though luckily not too much on here) people complaining about the offseason before it’s really even started. Major pieces to the core of this team; Palmieri, Vatanen, Johansson, and Hall, have all come via trade.

I hope Shero is smart and does what he thinks is good for he team. Whatever it is I’ll be excited about; he’s earned that from the fans. 

If it’s me? I’d love JVR or Statsny, i’d love deHann or Hickey, or i’d love to see at least one trade made for a roster player that improves our team for 2019.

whatever it is shouldn’t face criticism. Everything Shero’s done so far has been exceptional.

I agree. But he’ll need to do something. Standing pat would be a total wtf move.

But I don’t see that happening, we’ll see some kind of effort made to improve. 

Mojo - ??? - ???

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

Wood - ??? - ???

For D:

??? - Vatanen

Butcher - ???

Mueller - Santini

Severson

To be a true contender, I feel these are the gaps that need to be filled or near it. A true top 6 center and right wing (RH). The fourth line shouldn't be much of a headache.

Top 10 UFAs  Center: John Tavares, Paul Stastny, Tyler Bozak, Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Joe Thornton, Valtteri Filppula, Kyle Brodziak, Brian Gibbons, Tomas Plekanec

Top 10 RFAs Center: William Karlsson, Dylan Larkin, J.T. Miller, Vladislav Namestnikov, Tomas Hertl, Kevin Hayes, Elias Lindholm, Ryan Spooner, Chris Tierney, Brock Nelson

Top 10 UFAs RW (RH): Martin Frk, Alex Chiasson, Chris Stewart, Tommy Wingels, Drew Stafford, Jannik Hansen, Joel Ward, Ryan Reaves, Lee Stempniak, Jimmy Hayes

Top 10 RFAs RW (RH): Mark Stone, William Nylander, Sam Reinhart, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Ondrej Kase, Bryan Rust, Tom Wilson, Ryan Hartman, Joel Armia, Stefan Noesen

On D, you pretty much have De Haan and Hickey (from Isles).

Edited by Anhkheg

35 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Mojo - ??? - ???

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

Wood - ??? - ???

For D:

??? - Vatanen

Butcher - ???

Mueller - Santini

Severson

To be a true contender, I feel these are the gaps that need to be filled or near it. A true top 6 center and right wing (RH). The fourth line shouldn't be much of a headache.

Top 10 UFAs  Center: John Tavares, Paul Stastny, Tyler Bozak, Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Joe Thornton, Valtteri Filppula, Kyle Brodziak, Brian Gibbons, Tomas Plekanec

Top 10 RFAs Center: William Karlsson, Dylan Larkin, J.T. Miller, Vladislav Namestnikov, Tomas Hertl, Kevin Hayes, Elias Lindholm, Ryan Spooner, Chris Tierney, Brock Nelson

Top 10 UFAs RW (RH): Martin Frk, Alex Chiasson, Chris Stewart, Tommy Wingels, Drew Stafford, Jannik Hansen, Joel Ward, Ryan Reaves, Lee Stempniak, Jimmy Hayes

Top 10 RFAs RW (RH): Mark Stone, William Nylander, Sam Reinhart, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Ondrej Kase, Bryan Rust, Tom Wilson, Ryan Hartman, Joel Armia, Stefan Noesen

On D, you pretty much have De Haan and Hickey (from Isles).

Drew Stafford is a top 10 RW free agent??? That is sad. 

If I had to take a center and a RW from those lists, would have to be Frk ( because what the frk?) and assuming no Tavares, I wouldn’t mind Stastny or Bozak. 

I know it’s next to impossible to sign an RFA anyway, but if it could be done, Dylan Larkin is one I’d consider. And maybe Bjorkstrand, my favorite name in hockey. 

10 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

We don’t have the draft capital for an RFA signing of that caliber, nor would I ever want to give 3 first round picks for anyone not named McDavid. Sign-and-trades are more likely for RFA’s, though still unlikely.

I know. But there was a list so I chose from it.

I'm fine with standing mostly pat.  Not that I think this team is set, by any means, but they just need more time to evaluate everyone.  Is Bratt for real?  What about Butcher, can he handle a bigger role?  Can Zacha take a step forward?  How will McLeod and Anderson do in their first pro seasons? Can the Devils get 82 games out of Damon Severson without scratching him?  Are Coleman and Noesen potentially top 9 NHL forwards?  I just don't think the Devils are in a good position to trade anyone right now.  Next season will tell a lot about what they have and who might be on the way out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Did Jesper Bratt die? Is Damon Severson somehow a 7th defenseman now? Are 0 rookies going to make the team after 4 did, successfully last year? 

This is a frustrating post. You think a YOUNG team with the reigning Hart winner and 1st overall pick who just made the playoffs needs SIX free agent additions to be a contender? 

You have unrealistic expectations.

20 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Jesper Bratt (the 19 year old, just so we can establish we’re talking about the same kid) had never played more than 48 games in a season in his career (based on the length of seasons, not injury).

After ~50 NHL games (again, as a 19 year old who’s previous most professional league was for AIK of the Swedish J18 Elit league) his game started to fall off. 

If you’re not “sold” on 19-year-old Jesper Bratt, you’re not looking very hard. 

I’d argue the Zacha point too but I’m not sure we see eye to eye on this roster.

Your responses are far more frustrating, we may have a made the playoffs, but we are far from being a contender, very, very far.

Six free agents?? with TWO of them being FOURTH liners. Where did I mention free agents, I was careful to mention gaps. You make it sound like its a big deal. You feel Zacha and Bratt are legitimate top 6, while I don't completely count them out, as of today, they do NOT make us a contender. Hope they prove me wrong this year.

We need two top 4 Dmen, I would even go as far as arguing 3. You think Andy Greene, Ben Lovejoy, John Moore, Severson and Mueller make us a contender? The jury is still out on Severson and Mueller, but Andy Greene is slow and has made some serious mental mistakes in front of the net.

You are welcome to present your opinion by providing some concrete arguments. Work on your ability to carry a respectful conversation instead of simply attacking someone's opinion.

Edited by Anhkheg

19 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I'm fine with standing mostly pat.  Not that I think this team is set, by any means, but they just need more time to evaluate everyone.  Is Bratt for real?  What about Butcher, can he handle a bigger role?  Can Zacha take a step forward?  How will McLeod and Anderson do in their first pro seasons? Can the Devils get 82 games out of Damon Severson without scratching him?  Are Coleman and Noesen potentially top 9 NHL forwards?  I just don't think the Devils are in a good position to trade anyone right now.  Next season will tell a lot about what they have and who might be on the way out.

Might as well add in can Cory stay healthy all year, and play at an elite level. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Might as well add in can Cory stay healthy all year, and play at an elite level. 

I think the clear answer to this is no, or at least the Devils should be operating under the assumption that it's no, but yeah, they need a year to evaluate that too.  Can Kinkaid be a starter?  We'll probably get that answered next season as well.

I don't think Hall repeats last season's performance.  Let's see what the Devils are without him playing at that level.