2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

Unless Ray, et al. really thinks that DuClair or these second tier free agents have some serious upside that no other team in the league sees, I hope not.  We have plenty of forward depth that is young and controllable that we don’t need fillers in free agency, or the need go after reclamation projects like DuClair or Yakupov.  

What the team needs is more impact players.  And I’m hopeful that Ray is trying to obtain them.  For all his talk about not going crazy on free agents, people forget something else he said that the window for most teams to compete for a Cup, especially if you don’t have a McDavid or Crosby, is narrower than people think, so you can’t continue to rely on the draft.  

I don't think bringing in a DuClair/Rieder/Sheahan blocks any of our young forward depth. We have Hayes, Grabner, Maroon, Gibbons, and Stafford to replace on the active roster. I think we need some second tier free agents and ones on the younger side would be my preference because if you get lucky you have a long term answer to fit in with the future. But I do agree that I will defer to the professional scouts on if any of these guys fit that mold. 

I do agree that the cup window is small, so filling holes now with potential long term solutions is a way to open it up. I see a "Hall as a star for the next 6 year" window then hopefully Nico overlaps that as a star and then can open a new window of his own as a top flight star.  

This was retweeted by a few hockey people I follow so it's on the up & up... not sure why they'd want him - he's really not very good: 

Mark Madden‏ @MarkMaddenX

Defenseman Jack Johnson has agreed to a 5-yr deal w/the Penguins. Will become official Sunday when NHL free agency officially begins. For more, tune in to @1059theX .

6 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

This was retweeted by a few hockey people I follow so it's on the up & up... not sure why they'd want him - he's really not very good

Defenseman Jack Johnson has agreed to a 5-yr deal w/the Penguins. Will become official Sunday when NHL free agency officially begins. For more, tune in to @1059theX .

Tri's mentioned that JJ hasn't been very good a number of times through the years...think he either posted actual numbers or links to numbers that weren't very flattering to Johnson IIRC.  Kinda makes one wonder who the Pens were bidding against to give him five years, and for potential decline years to boot.

25 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

This was retweeted by a few hockey people I follow so it's on the up & up... not sure why they'd want him - he's really not very good: 

How are these backdoor style negotiations possible? I thought you weren't allowed to speak to FAs until the FA period started on July 1st. 

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tri's mentioned that JJ hasn't been very good a number of times through the years...think he either posted actual numbers or links to numbers that weren't very flattering to Johnson IIRC.  Kinda makes one wonder who the Pens were bidding against to give him five years, and for potential decline years to boot.

Here's a Todd Cordell chart: 

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

How are these backdoor style negotiations possible? I thought you weren't allowed to speak to FAs until the FA period started on July 1st. 

They changed it last year I believe - starting one week prior to July 1, teams are allowed to talk with impending UFAs but they're not supposed to talk actual $/contracts until July 1... 

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If he was awful enough to sign for $1.5-2m, I might give him a year to prove himself. Guy still scored 27 goals last year. That’s more than anyone on our team aside from Hall. 

At that price, for one year, I’d be willing to chance it that the last 21 games with us were the anomaly. You could always waive him or whatever, nothing ventured nothing gained. 

But someone else will give him 2-3 years for more money, I’m sure. 

Right, with full training camp you maximize the your ROI to the fullest (assuming it’s at most 2 year deal)

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s fine, but being competitive and making the playoffs, etc. will make us a more attractive landing place for said impact dman. Still need the best team possible in the ice every year. 

Not sure. If I were a John Carlson type, we'd be an attractive destination in that he would be undisputed #1 D man. Wondering if a Mike Green might fit the bill for a couple years.  Andy Greene starting to get long in the tooth. Wonder if anyone from Binghamton would step up like Jesper last year?

FWIW, McKenzie said the DSP deal is for $1 mil. 

Nice little interview with Pickles: https://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/927128

Snippet: “I remember getting some goosebumps and chills going out for Game 1 in Tampa. The blue lights flashing all over the place, the excitement and buzz in the crowd,” Coleman reflected. “A game I’ll never forget is Game 3. Our first game in Jersey. I’ve never heard a building that loud in my entire career. That was a ton of fun to play in front of. The whole game was relentless chanting. The fans were in it. We were in it. It was physical, chippy and we ended up pulling out a late win and blew the roof off the joint. Obviously we didn’t win that series, but it’s something we can build on.”

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

pretty much inevitable once you permit a courting period.

At least the courting period is legit now...in the past, I think obvious tampering was going on all of the time, and everyone knew it (though some were obviously very good at covering it up)...these deals that used to get done seemingly in minutes as soon as the "official" UFA window was underway?  Right, I'm sure there was no contact prior to July 1. 

• Like 1

Would like to take a look at Emile Poirier on a tryout or two-way contract. The more I read about the guy the more he seems like a fit. Game built on speed and physicality. Reclamation project where there is a known reason for a numbers decline (admitted alcoholism). Just seems like a lottery ticket worth buying to me. 

Also found this Tobias Reider's 2007-2008 season which is pretty hilarious to look at:     

2007-08     EV Landshut U16    Schüler-BL    GP: 34    G: 113    A: 64    TP: 177    PIM: 59

Very interested to see where the B-level UFAs land once the Tavares saga is over.  Have to imagine we're at least somewhat involved with a couple guys.

If not, curious to see if Ray can pull any trades out.  I think you simply have to address the situation at D, and, ideally, the 2C slot.