2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Very interested to see where the B-level UFAs land once the Tavares saga is over.  Have to imagine we're at least somewhat involved with a couple guys.

If not, curious to see if Ray can pull any trades out.  I think you simply have to address the situation at D, and, ideally, the 2C slot.

I don't know if the 2C slot gets addressed right now because, well, I just don't think we, or they (management), are sure of what we have yet.  I mean, does Nico stay firmly on the top line this year as the undisputed 1C?  I imagine so, but if that's the case, then what exactly happens with Zajac and Zacha?  You could make the case neither are 2C material, for opposite reasons (Zajac being on the decline, and Zacha not yet ready for a 2nd line role and minutes), but neither should be relegated to the fourth line either, so that creates a bit of an issue.  I don't see Zajac getting traded simply because of what he's meant to the organization, and also probably having little value at this point in his career as well, so even though I'm still somewhat optimistic about Zacha's future and I'd like to give him time to develop, if the feeling is that the second line center spot needs to be filled, I think that means Zacha is on the way out.  

I know it has been said, but I continue to be impressed that the Devils have not been connected to a single rumor. Really locked up communications. Can someone go over and make sure the lights are on in the offices?

Edited by Steadevils

I know it has been said, but I continue to be impressed that the Devils have not been connected to a single rumor. Really locked up communications. Can someone go over and make sure the lights are on in the offices?

Not only that, we haven’t heard word one from Shero post-draft. Nothing. Zilch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mean, does Nico stay firmly on the top line this year as the undisputed 1C?  I imagine so, but if that's the case, then what exactly happens with Zajac and Zacha?  

I can't even think about Nico being anything other than our 1C, because we don't have anyone else who can compete with him for that position. Zacha and Zajac are a 3C and 4C, whichever order you want to put them it. 

But, as we lack a true 2C, I am assuming that'll be Zajac and Zacha will be the 3C. 

Barring any trades or free agent signings, of course. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Please not us. If anyone here wants it to be us you must be on drugs.

Severson for Lucic and RNH.  I wonder if Draisaitl is completely untouchable.. 

Sorry boys, incredibly slow day.  Can't help but throw out (probably) terrible trade proposals.

Edit: Severon + McLeod/Zacha + Prospect/Pick for Draisaitl and Lucic.  Let me have it.

Edited by Devilsfan118

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I can't even think about Nico being anything other than our 1C, because we don't have anyone else who can compete with him for that position. Zacha and Zajac are a 3C and 4C, whichever order you want to put them it. 

But, as we lack a true 2C, I am assuming that'll be Zajac and Zacha will be the 3C. 

Barring any trades or free agent signings, of course. 

Agreed about Nico. I just can't see either one of those other guys playing 4C - Zajac is still too good defensively to play him 6-7 minutes a game, and Zacha, at his age, should be playing against tougher competition and allow him to elevate his game.  I'm really interested to see if McLeod can become something here very soon.  In a perfect world, he impresses at camp, and slides right into that 2C role, allowing Zajac to slide to 3C, and either Boyle or Coleman to be the 4th - then we possibly look at shipping Zacha to someone that still thinks they can get something out of him, and we can someone on D in return.  If that happened, things would obviously be a little rough with McLeod logging that much time that early, but Zajac could always flip flop with him, basically like he did this past year with Zacha.  

FWIW

This in from the Milan Lucic camp, his agent Gerry Johnasson answering on whether a trade request was made to Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli: “I have not had that conversation with Peter. I can tell you this, it’s funny, cause I do hear this a lot when a player has a tough year, which Milan did, and when teams have a tough year, which obviously Edmonton did, you hear all sorts of crazy stuff that goes on. Obviously there’s a lot of frustration on everybody’s part — because there should be. Everybody expects more and as with Milan and as should the Oilers. But Milan is 100 per cent ready to come back and play. And he’s going to be back with the Oilers. He’s always been an Oiler since the day he signed.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/hes-going-to-be-back-all-the-right-things-being-said-from-milan-lucic-camp

I know its a homer newspaper, but its his agent saying that. 

That last line made me laugh though    --  'Hes ALWAYS been an Oiler (since the day he signed)."

Yes I’m sure Chiarelli would have no reservations trading us another young stud forward like Draisaitl, that won’t look bad for him. I’m also sure the Edmonton fans and media wouldn’t hang him from the Gretzky statue if he did. [emoji849]

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yes I’m sure Chiarelli would have no reservations trading us another young stud forward like Draisaitl, that won’t look bad for him. I’m also sure the Edmonton fans and media wouldn’t hang him from the Gretzky statue if he did. emoji849.png

Trade is one for one.  Only this time, it's McDavid for Severson.  The latter still has a lot of upside, could end up being better than the guy he traded Hall for, and a lower cap hit.  How can he say no?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Trade is one for one.  Only this time, it's McDavid for Severson.  The latter still has a lot of upside, could end up being better than the guy he traded Hall for, and a lower cap hit.  How can he say no?

Obviously that's a joke, but who would they give us for Severson one for one. RNH?

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Obviously that's a joke, but who would they give us for Severson one for one. RNH?

Apparently RNH is now seen as a golden child in their eyes, thanks to his chemistry with McDavid.

So, both my proposals above are probably moot.

8 hours ago, Steadevils said:

Lou would be proud

• Like 2
  • Haha 2