2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

Pretty sweet to have your jersey retired by TWO franchises.  And neither one of them is cheap (yeah, he only played in 5 seasons as a Duck, but he won the Conn Smythe when the Ducks won their Cup, and was the Norris runner-up in each of his first two seasons there). 

Good for Scotty.  Happy for him.

Four Cups, two jersey retirements, a Norris, a Conn Smythe, the HHoF...1263 GP and 202 playoff games...damn, what a career that guy had. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 9:28 AM, LittleBallofHate said:

Thought this was interesting (esp since there's no news/it's so quiet) so I figured I'd put these few snippets here from an interview with Sergachev: 

Daria Tuboltseva: They say that the real hockey starts in the Conference finals and it’s just “hit and run” before that. Did you feel this way?

Mikhail Sergachev: It was really hard against the Devils - they really hit and run a lot. We beat them because we were more skilled. We beat the Bruins because we were faster and played tougher. It didn’t work out with Capitals. It started not very well for us, it was hard to save a series when you’re losing 0-2, but we managed to reach the seventh game. We could have won the sixth game, but it doesn’t make sense to talk about it now…

Daria Tuboltseva: That was a real fight against Devils. You had a scratched face after your fight with Brian Boyle. You give an impression as a calm person, but what happened?

Mikhail Sergachev: That was emotions. We were losing the game, which we didn’t want to lose. We got a penalty, but a referee didn’t notice that. I got on the ice and wanted to score during the last minute, but it didn’t work out. So Boyle just grabbed me. That wasn’t really a fight, we just shouted at each other and that’s all. But the next game was quiet. Emotional games happen, even in the regular season.

Daria Tuboltseva: Both teams got a penalty at the last minutes of this game. How was it started?

Mikhail Sergachev: Devils players played the whole game tough and and the referees didn’t do anything about it. Guys were very angry.

Full interview here:  https://www.rawcharge.com/2018/7/6/17540204/translation-from-championat-mikhail-sergachev-discusses-his-first-full-season-in-the-nhl

"referees didn't do anything about it" 

Yeah you mean the part where your veteran leader ball tapped an 18 year old and didn't get called?  How about the part where Kucherov hit a guy in the head and didn't get a penalty for it?

Stupid kid.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 10:41 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Brian Leetch’s wife may have some anger issues..... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5929865/Wife-NHL-hockey-star-Brian-Leetch-sued-assaulting-staff-members-gay-bar.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe for a second that the workers at that bar were as innocent as they claim to be.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ducks are retiring Nieds’ jersey:

Ducks Legend Scott Niedermayer

Ducks Legend Scott Niedermayer

He kind of is a Ducks legend. He captained them to their only Cup (winning the Conn Smythe in the process), and he’s their all-time leading scoring defenseman.... I get why they’re retiring his jersey. I mean, it’s not Colorado retiring Bourque’s lmfao.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Four Cups, two jersey retirements, a Norris, a Conn Smythe, the HHoF...1263 GP and 202 playoff games...damn, what a career that guy had. 

Also...a Memorial Cup and MVP plus another number retirement in Juniors, a Junior World Championship, a World Championship, and two Olympic Gold Medals, if you want to list accomplishments outside the NHL. All of that while looking like a college professor after retirement. 

d6c587b96d2017a37862db3d79cebe60--retire

• Like 2

Also...a Memorial Cup and MVP plus another number retirement in Juniors, a Junior World Championship, a World Championship, and two Olympic Gold Medals, if you want to list accomplishments outside the NHL. All of that while looking like a college professor after retirement. 
d6c587b96d2017a37862db3d79cebe60--retirement-hockey.jpg&key=c5556d667094e7839cdcb846093fc445bb2f0e2bacec0d659aeb01938000d43b

He literally won everything there is to win in the sport. Truly incredible.

• Like 2

Ian Pulz Retweeted  John Matisz ‏Verified account @MatiszJohn 

Taylor Hall spoke today in Oakville at the NHLPA Golf Classic...

Hall on NJD's 2017-18: "Definitely a successful season, but at the same time I watched playoff hockey for a month and a half before the Cup was handed out. We're a long way from where we want to be, but I think it was a great first step."

Hall: "It's hard to get out of the basement. It's hard to get out of the basement and make the playoffs. Now, I think the hardest step is going from making the playoffs to being a team that can challenge for the Cup. I'm really looking forward to trying to do that."

Hall on NJD losing plyrs via free agency: “We’re going to have to find a way to make up for that. Those are guys that played key roles on our team, whether they were (acquired) at the trade deadline or just guys who came into camp and surprised and made a huge difference for us.”

ETA (he just sent this tweet): Hall on cap room & potential for Shero to add: (laughs) “I just sit here like you guys... I’d love to see us add a couple more pieces but at the end of the day that’s not my job. My job’s to come into camp as healthy as possible, as committed as possible, & just worry about that.

ETA (more just added): Hall feels Nico Hischier deserved "a lot more Calder votes." "He had 50 points as a centreman as an 18-year-old and, us playing on a line together, we played the top lines each and every night. I'm proud to be his teammate, I'm proud to be on a line with him..."

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Doesn't seem like a trade is close at this point.

Watch Ottawa drag this out until the trade deadline and get relatively fvck-all for him.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.   A few things have changed since Dorion got robbed on the Turris/Duchene deal.    

1.  He's basically deadman walking at this point, especially if he doesn't get a nice haul on the EK deal.  It's probably a lot easier to be patient with the knowledge that if he doesn't do well on the return, he's probably going to lose his job. That's obviously my own speculation but he's got to be hanging by a thread right now with how the team has spiraled out of control both on and off the ice.    

2.  Dorion saw how Sakic benefited by sticking to his guns on the asking price on Duchene when the rest of the world was laughing at his demands.  The only problem is that Dorion can't rip himself off so he's going to need to find another sucker. 

3.  On the other hand, with the way everything has gone down how do they possibly go into next season with EK on the roster, especially as captain?   This isn't like the Duchene situation where Sakic had two years left to make a decision.  Also, Duchene or the assets you get for him were no where near as important to the future of the Avs as resolving the EK issue is for the Sens.     

32 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.   A few things have changed since Dorion got robbed on the Turris/Duchene deal.    

1.  He's basically deadman walking at this point, especially if he doesn't get a nice haul on the EK deal.  It's probably a lot easier to be patient with the knowledge that if he doesn't do well on the return, he's probably going to lose his job. That's obviously my own speculation but he's got to be hanging by a thread right now with how the team has spiraled out of control both on and off the ice.    

2.  Dorion saw how Sakic benefited by sticking to his guns on the asking price on Duchene when the rest of the world was laughing at his demands.  The only problem is that Dorion can't rip himself off so he's going to need to find another sucker. 

3.  On the other hand, with the way everything has gone down how do they possibly go into next season with EK on the roster, especially as captain?   This isn't like the Duchene situation where Sakic had two years left to make a decision.  Also, Duchene or the assets you get for him were no where near as important to the future of the Avs as resolving the EK issue is for the Sens.     

My guess is that Tampa had a deal in place where Sergachev was the main piece going to Ottawa, but no one, including the Devils liked the return they would be getting to take on Callahan.  It's also possible that the sweeteners to take on Callahan (Johnson, Palat or Killorn) didn't want to waive their no trade clauses.  Based on Yzerman's comments after giving the big contract to Kucherov, it seems like that deal is dead for the time being. 

The other two rumored teams, Vegas and Dallas seem less and less likely.  I feel that if Vegas really wanted him, a deal would have been done, but they can't afford to gut their prospect pool.  The deal that Dallas seemed to be willing to do involved Honka as the biggest piece, which is a laughable return for someone like Karlsson.  Doesn't seem like they'll budge off of not offering Heiskanen. 

Then there's the insanity of Melnyk trying to insert Bobby Ryan into any deal.  So there's a distinct possibility that Ottawa is going to fvck this up royally.  Sakic waiting to trade Duchene is not a good comparable because Duchene wasn't entering into the last year of his contract, he didn't have a no trade clause, and there wasn't as limited universe of teams who could afford to give him an extension down the road.

Edited by Daniel

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Unfortunately, the flashy players get noticed more. Nico is already great in every area on the ice. Unlike a lot of Devil's rookies of the past, or even not rookies, I never felt like Nico was a liability to have on the ice at any point of the game or against any of the opponents top lines. 

• Like 2

Some Shero quotes from Mike Morreale: 

"I think it's more a process of building a team and where we were three years ago to now," Shero said. "Are there are avenues to improve? Absolutely, but only if makes sense. We know who the top players were in free agency and where John Tavares went (Toronto Maple Leafs), where Carlson stayed. I think a lot of stuff what we're doing is internal, but if we can add the right player, we'll do it. I like where we are, like our flexibility and where are younger players and veterans are right now.

"Our goal is to keep improving and not lose what we have in terms of the culture. If you pick up the paper today, we're probably on the outside looking in (on the playoffs). A lot of teams made additions, but I've been through this and we're not going to deviate from the plan. I have a lot of faith in our staff and players.

"We still have (NHL salary) cap space, one of our greatest assets, to do some things if something comes our way. We just need to keep the momentum and enthusiasm strong in what we're doing here."

Taken from this article: https://www.nhl.com/news/cory-schneider-may-miss-start-of-new-jersey-devils-training-camp/c-299466708

One more quote: 

The Devils pushed hard to re-sign forward Pat Maroon, but the 30-year-old opted to sign a one-year, $1.75 million contract with the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday. Maroon grew up in Oakville, Missouri.

"I really wanted to have Patty back," Shero said. "I offered him a lot more money on a one-year deal, but I respect his decision to return home to his family."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Unfortunately, the flashy players get noticed more. Nico is already great in every area on the ice. Unlike a lot of Devil's rookies of the past, or even not rookies, I never felt like Nico was a liability to have on the ice at any point of the game or against any of the opponents top lines. 

Watching him last season I kept thinking that as he continues to add strength and experience he's just going to get better and better.  Can't wait to see him play next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

That was already a given when surgery was announced.  Personally I think he misses all of October at the very least 

2 things you have to hope for.... kk to continue his success from the season, iihf tournament and for cory to rebound.  One of the goalies wont be in Jersey next yr....  most likely itll be kk, but if cory plays like last season/season before that (and kk improves even more) then I think it's possible cory could be traded.  Shero even said that cory needs to step it up after the season ended.

• Like 1

I posted some of the quotes in this article earlier but it's worth a read - some good stuff from Hallsy: https://www.nhl.com/news/taylor-hall-focused-on-helping-devils/c-299468670

"Definitely proud of that, for our team, for myself personally, it was a successful season," the 26-year-old said. "I think now I've maybe kind of vaulted myself up into that tier of players and want to stay there."

"The guys that are great year in, year out, they play well right from the start of the season and carry teams to the playoffs, and hopefully I can make that happen again this year, not just be a guy that has a good year and kind of falls back a bit," Hall said. "I'm pretty committed to having another successful season."

Hall said he expects Nico Hischier, who was selected No. 1 in the 2017 NHL Draft and centered the top line with him, to play a big role in the Devils' progression. Hall credited Hischier for a lot of his individual success and said he was surprised Hischier, who had 52 points (20 goals, 32 assists) in 82 games, did not receive more attention.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

That was already a given when surgery was announced.  Personally I think he misses all of October at the very least 

Definitely. That’s been my expectation since the announcement as well. 

3 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

but if cory plays like last season/season before that (and kk improves even more) then I think it's possible cory could be traded.  Shero even said that cory needs to step it up after the season ended.

If he doesn’t step up, what’s his trade value going to be? Who is going to trade anything of value for a guy who makes what he makes and doesn’t win?

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely. That’s been my expectation since the announcement as well. 

If he doesn’t step up, what’s his trade value going to be? Who is going to trade anything of value for a guy who makes what he makes and doesn’t win?

Toronto could take a floater at him if Andersen doesn’t bail their garbage defense out again this year and plays more like he did in the post season

15 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Ian Pulz Retweeted  John Matisz ‏Verified account @MatiszJohn 

Taylor Hall spoke today in Oakville at the NHLPA Golf Classic...

Hall on NJD's 2017-18: "Definitely a successful season, but at the same time I watched playoff hockey for a month and a half before the Cup was handed out. We're a long way from where we want to be, but I think it was a great first step."

Hall: "It's hard to get out of the basement. It's hard to get out of the basement and make the playoffs. Now, I think the hardest step is going from making the playoffs to being a team that can challenge for the Cup. I'm really looking forward to trying to do that."

Hall on NJD losing plyrs via free agency: “We’re going to have to find a way to make up for that. Those are guys that played key roles on our team, whether they were (acquired) at the trade deadline or just guys who came into camp and surprised and made a huge difference for us.”

ETA (he just sent this tweet): Hall on cap room & potential for Shero to add: (laughs) “I just sit here like you guys... I’d love to see us add a couple more pieces but at the end of the day that’s not my job. My job’s to come into camp as healthy as possible, as committed as possible, & just worry about that.

ETA (more just added): Hall feels Nico Hischier deserved "a lot more Calder votes." "He had 50 points as a centreman as an 18-year-old and, us playing on a line together, we played the top lines each and every night. I'm proud to be his teammate, I'm proud to be on a line with him..."

A great piece to build a playoff team around, a tough team to play against, anytime!

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

Toronto could take a floater at him if Andersen doesn’t bail their garbage defense out again this year and plays more like he did in the post season

If they want to send us Marner so they don’t have a cap problem later, I’m fine with that. :)

• Like 1

Dorian doesn't have the same luxury Sakic did with Duchene. I think he e has to move now imo to get the most, and not wait til trade deadline. At that time, (trade deadline) he'll have to take whatever he can get.   After the trade deadline, he'll get far less.  Yes, he should get a haul from whomever. I think he needs to move before camp.