2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

How 'bout

And we had Stralman on a PTO who did really well but Lou typically decided to let him go and keep this over the hill slow D-corp and here we are years later but basically... 2 of these players are still active in the NHL and one shouldnt be at this point.

They clearly had a problem at evaluating talent

That defense plus Zidlicky made it to the finals. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

As said before, Stralman did alright in camp, but didn't take anyones spot. He stepped up big part way through that season with the Rangers. 

Well if you never noticed that Lou and Deboer CLEARLY always went with the old over the hill veterans over a younger dman with potential that could be there for the future. Veterans could get killed out there and never skip a shift while a younger guy would make a mistake and ride the bench for a whole period. I simply don't know what to tell you. 

if it wasn't that obvious and proven over and over I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but I just can't. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not to be too cliche, but thats why they play the season. You never know what can happen. Vegas, for example. Or Montreal falling like a rock after a 100 point season in 2016-2017. 

Who steps up to help TH9 out?  It cannot be all on him....

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well if you never noticed that Lou and Deboer CLEARLY always went with the old over the hill veterans over a younger dman with potential that could be there for the future. Veterans could get killed out there and never skip a shift while a younger guy would make a mistake and ride the bench for a whole period. I simply don't know what to tell you. 

if it wasn't that obvious and proven over and over I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but I just can't. 

Well yeah, that was a huge problem with DeBoer and Lou. They went with veterans always. I think they should have kept Stralman and dumped crappy Mark Fraser, but they thought Stralman might hang around until there was a spot on the roster. 

I was just pointing out that almost all of those defensemen you listed were 2 wins from a cup, so they might not have been THAT far off on their evaluation.

16 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Who steps up to help TH9 out?  It cannot be all on him....

I think Nico takes another step. Hopefully Bratt can keep it up for a full season this year. I think a full year of Mojo helps. Zacha needs to show something as well.

On the backend, Butcher should continue to bring offense. One of Mueller or Severson need to show improvement. 

I also think we'll have one of the young guys surprise us. Anderson, McLeod, Quenneville, etc. Plus I don't Ray is done at all. He's being patient. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Well yeah, that was a huge problem with DeBoer and Lou. They went with veterans always. I think they should have kept Stralman and dumped crappy Mark Fraser, but they thought Stralman might hang around until there was a spot on the roster. 

I was just pointing out that almost all of those defensemen you listed were 2 wins from a cup, so they might not have been THAT far off on their evaluation.

Yeah and i get it. But its like if you're in your mid 30s, single and want kids, you have one night to go to the bar, are you going with your mom or with a young girl that is interested in you? Sure maybe you went with your mom and had a great time, but in the situation you were in you should have bet on your long term goals and go with that chick lol

Well my only point is that again, for them it was almost black and white. Every decision Lou took was to "win now". His patch work, ufa handling and players selection etc etc He was not looking to secure some kind of future at all, just gambling all in blindly every time and well that's the result we got and why Shero ended up with a mess with no assets at all. And i mean i get it, he's old, Marty was old, Elias was old and he wanted a last shot at it. But it was not impossible to balance the now / future better.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah and i get it. But its like if you're in your mid 30s, single and want kids, you have one night to go to the bar, are you going with your mom or with a young girl that is interested in you? Sure maybe you went with your mom and had a great time, but in the situation you were in you should have bet on your long term goals and go with that chick lol

Well my only point is that again, for them it was almost black and white. Every decision Lou took was to "win now". His patch work, ufa handling and players selection etc etc He was not looking to secure some kind of future at all, just gambling all in blindly every time and well that's the result we got and why Shero ended up with a mess with no assets at all. And i mean i get it, he's old, Marty was old, Elias was old and he wanted a last shot at it. But it was not impossible to balance the now / future better.

Hahah... the dating analogies :lol:

And yeah, I agree with your point. Lou was all about winning. Had he won that 2012 cup, the mess that followed may not have been so bad. Unfortunately , his stubbornness left Ray with a pretty empty cupboard (which Ray has done an amazing job of re-stocking)

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Hahah... the dating analogies :lol:

And yeah, I agree with your point. Lou was all about winning. Had he won that 2012 cup, the mess that followed may not have been so bad. Unfortunately , his stubbornness left Ray with a pretty empty cupboard (which Ray has done an amazing job of re-stocking)

its absolutely insane what Shero did so far with such a mess handed to him

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

its absolutely insane what Shero did so far with such a mess handed to him

Yeah, which is the exact reason I'm not worried about the lack of moves so far. Teams will start feeling the pinch as training camp goes on and Shero has the cap space to make a steal or two. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah, which is the exact reason I'm not worried about the lack of moves so far. Teams will start feeling the pinch as training camp goes on and Shero has the cap space to make a steal or two. 

Yeah some fans have to understand that we are still in "not so great shape" because of how badly gutted the team was before he got the job, no assets, no prospects and the oldest / slowest team in the league. In his situation and with the assets he had to deal with.. all you can do is be patient and wait for deals. We were certainly not an attractive destination then other than for "guys who had something to prove" and could get a lot of ice time in NJ, we're still not a prime location UFAs would want to sign in either. But we're certainly trending up.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You and I get along quite well now, and we've had several pleasant exchanges through PMs.  So I'm not trying to stir anything up here.

I guess I just don't quite get what you're going for when you still find ways to knock Lou, several years after he's been gone.  From 1987-88 through 2011-12, his teams missed the playoffs just three times, and as we all know, they didn't just make the playoffs a whole bunch of times with nothing to show for it.  Yes, it got ugly at the end, and the reasons why have been heavily documented.  Maybe I'm misreading you, but I always sense a lot of anger directed towards Lou when you go this route, and as ugly as it did get at the end, what is it that you're so angry about?  That Lou couldn't find ways to keep it going for another 5 years?  That what amounted to about 25 years of relevance somehow wasn't good enough?

I won't ever say that Lou was infalliable...there were times where I was frustrated with him, even when the Devils were icing solid teams under his watch.  There were trade deadlines where I would've liked to have seen him make a move, and was disappointed when nothing happened.  And at the end, his tenure reeked of desperation and throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks-type moves...the three-headed coaching monster at the end was painful.  It was Lemaire who really provided the blueprint for going to next level, as Lou initially seemed to be collecting players with no concrete plan how to build an identity, and the team seemed to truly be spinning its wheels...in a lot of ways, it really was Jacques who gave the Devils that much-needed identity...sure, Lou hired him, but Lou had also hired Herb Brooks and had strongly believed that Brooks would be the man to take the Devils where Lemaire ultimately did.  And as we well know, Lou could come off as cold, aloof, humorless, and almost emotionless (McMullen could often come off the same way), and the organization had a way of taking on his less desirable traits.  But there's still a hell of a lot of other franchises that would've killed for what we got to see from 1987 through 2012.   

I guess at this point, instead of dwelling on Lou's darker days (none of which can be changed), why not just enjoy what Shero's managed to do to date?  I think he's truly done an amazing job in his relatively short time here, as I would guess almost every Devils fan does.  I love his creativity, and I love the fact that he's not afraid to show restraint where appropriate...I have ZERO problem with the way he's approached this offseason...sure, there's a part of me that would've liked to have seen a splash, but there wasn't one free agent that the Devils could've had that I was pissed off about not having gotten.  I trust him completely, and I couldn't be happier that he's the Devils' GM.  I don't think the Devils could have made a better choice. 

14 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm curious to see if he goes that route.  For a long time, I thought he might explore some mid-tier acquisitions, but more and more I feel like he's going to stand pat and see what some of these youngins have to offer.  This feels more and more like an evaluation year to me.  I also think Shero might be banking on guys currently in house being better than last year:

Hischier (simply due to having a year under his belt...hopefully this will also be true of Bratt...when it comes to Bratt, I'm not so sure)

Palms and MoJo (both obviously missed a lot more games than expected, and MoJo is playing for a new contract...Palms was typically streaky but was on pace for his typical numbers as a Devil, and if MoJo can stay healthy and play in 75+ games, I can see him coming up with 45-50 points)

Full season of Vatanen

More consistent season from Cory

And though Zajac's become polarizing (mostly due to his contract), in three out of the past four seasons prior to 2017-18, he was good for about 45+ points per 82 GP...and after that slow start last season, was at about that same pace over his final 42 games.  He won't ever be 2008-09 or 2009-10 Zajac, but he should still be able to contribute more than people think. 

49 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Palms and MoJo (both obviously missed a lot more games than expected, and MoJo is playing for a new contract...Palms was typically streaky but was on pace for his typical numbers as a Devil, and if MoJo can stay healthy and play in 75+ games, I can see him coming up with 45-50 points)

I'm still very concerned about Johansson's health, and I would love to see him fully recovered and playing 75+, but honestly I'm not anticipating that happening and its more likely that he'll have an extended stretch that he loses due to injury. It seems to be the way it goes for guys with head injuries. 

39 minutes ago, moustic said:

I already said plenty time that SterioDesign deserve the Dating Analogies Award ; )

Imagine how hard it must be to date that guy, every time you try to talk about your relationship he hits you with a hockey analogy. 

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm still very concerned about Johansson's health, and I would love to see him fully recovered and playing 75+, but honestly I'm not anticipating that happening and its more likely that he'll have an extended stretch that he loses due to injury. It seems to be the way it goes for guys with head injuries. 

Imagine how hard it must be to date that guy, every time you try to talk about your relationship he hits you with a hockey analogy. 

Yeah, if I were going to put an over/under on number of GP for MoJo, I think I'd set it at around 50.  Shero's obviously gotta be hoping for a lot more.  Safe to say that he should get a lot more than 29 games out of MoJo in 2018-19...if not, sadly you'll have to wonder how much more of a future MoJo's got left in the NHL...if he becomes the latest to succumb to concussions.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, if I were going to put an over/under on number of GP for MoJo, I think I'd set it at around 50.  Shero's obviously gotta be hoping for a lot more.  Safe to say that he should get a lot more than 29 games out of MoJo in 2018-19...if not, sadly you'll have to wonder how much more of a future MoJo's got left in the NHL...if he becomes the latest to succumb to concussions.

I mean I am hoping he's fully recovered and he's fine, but it just doesn't seem to go that way once I guy has had multiple injuries. If he has one more, you have to think he's about done, especially without a contract beyond this year.