2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Henrique signs an extension for 5 more years in Anaheim. So there goes that idea of him coming back. #SoCal

I'm glad he likes it there. Its like watching an ex you broke up with no hard feelings move on. Circumstances meant it wasn't going to work, you hoped they could come back but to see them happy makes you glad.

I'm lonely.  :(:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Made some nice change too... and we got their 3rd rounder for this year so we're back up to 7 picks in this draft. 

@TheFourthPeriod   Believe Henrique’s new deal is in $5.5M AAV neighbourhood

ETA: @reporterchris   Adam Henrique's five-year extension with Anaheim carries an AAV of $5.825M.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can't blame the guy, honestly.

Probably living the dream out there right now!

Honestly, I went there on vacation for a week two years ago and I can totally see why you would never want to leave. 

Honestly, I went there on vacation for a week two years ago and I can totally see why you would never want to leave. 

It’s pretty nice out there, but the wildfires, mudslides, and the always-looming possibility of a huge earthquake is enough for me to want to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Made some nice change too... and we got their 3rd rounder for this year so we're back up to 7 picks in this draft. 

@TheFourthPeriod   Believe Henrique’s new deal is in $5.5M AAV neighbourhood

Guess that's the going rate for about 47 points per 82 GP these days.  EDIT:  see that it's actually $5.825 million AAV.  Man that seems like a lot for Henrique...good for him.

He's a decent player, should continue what's been a pretty nice career to date...you pretty much know what you're getting with him...40-50 points, 75-82 GP.  As long as the Duck faithful aren't expecting more based on Henrique making more money, they should be happy. 

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

It’s pretty nice out there, but the wildfires, mudslides, and the always-looming possibility of a huge earthquake is enough for me to want to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the bolded is the part that always spooks me the most, for all of the obvious reasons.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Henrique signing means we get Anaheim's 3rd this year, correct?

Another piece for Shero. 

Yes. 

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well yeah, there's that. Plus the Kardashians. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rico got paid and good for him, good guy for it to happen to. Mixed feelings, I sort of wished he would end up back here but there are probably better ways to spend our future cap space. 

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Rico got paid and good for him, good guy for it to happen to. Mixed feelings, I sort of wished he would end up back here but there are probably better ways to spend our future cap space. 

I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above. 

Me too, except the part about sorta wishing that he might come back.  I feel like sometimes you just gotta move forward...nothing against Henrique in the slightest, but due to two memorable playoff goals (and maybe due to one 30-goal season), he's really been blown up, to the point where he's remembered and celebrated as being a lot better than he really was.  I think if he ever did come back, the second time around never would've lived up to people's (inflated memories) of him.  He's kind of like a video game from 20 years ago that you really enjoyed playing on your old CRT, then you get your hands on the original system, play it a couple of times on your HDTV, and quickly realize the experience doesn't live up to the memory.  Happy for Rico, happy for the Devils that his coming back is not likely to ever happen.  Just think this is best for everyone. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

There should be no sting for giving up the picks... hindsight is a b!tch but they helped us make the playoffs (esp Maroon - he was great). Ray was asked about it last week & he said he'd do it again in a heartbeat, giving up 2 picks to make the playoffs. Plus making the playoffs got Taylor the MVP - he would not have even been nominated if we didn't make it - which would have been a crime with the season he had. He got 2 nods, one won & now he's stoked to come back and have a great year again next year (instead of him & possibly the rest of the team being disheartened, esp after starting the season so great). They needed help & Ray got it. It may not have worked out as expected but I think everyone on the team appreciated what Ray did.  This isn't directed at anyone but I read it every day how upset people still are over losing 2 picks, not even first rounders. We've had over 20 picks the two prior drafts - we'll be fine. /rant :P

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

There should be no sting for giving up the picks... hindsight is a b!tch but they helped us make the playoffs (esp Maroon - he was great). Ray was asked about it last week & he said he'd do it again in a heartbeat, giving up 2 picks to make the playoffs. Plus making the playoffs got Taylor the MVP - he would not have even been nominated if we didn't make it - which would have been a crime with the season he had. He got 2 nods, one won & now he's stoked to come back and have a great year again next year (instead of him & possibly the rest of the team being disheartened, esp after starting the season so great). They needed help & Ray got it. It may not have worked out as expected but I think everyone on the team appreciated what Ray did.  This isn't directed at anyone but I read it every day how upset people still are over losing 2 picks, not even first rounders. We've had over 20 picks the two prior drafts - we'll be fine. /rant :P

Well said.  The irony is that if Shero had stood pat and the Devils had missed the playoffs, there would have been a lot of bitching about Shero having done nothing.  You are 100% right, the team needed that extra push, and Ray did try to provide one.  And yeah, I think his team appreciated the support. 

I liked that he took the risk.  Sadly Grabner didn't work out (while Maroon surprised a little), but I was on board with both moves. 

28 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Was a little disappointed in that there seemed to have been some pretty good players that fell into the second round, and there’s always a non negligible shot at finding a gem there.  But we got our man in the first round, and that’s really the important part.

I’m not wringing my hands over trading the picks, it was definitely the right move. We stocked up on 2s and 3s with crafty moves when Shero first took over. Last year we were buyers and rightfully so. This helps to be buyers again if need be. Important when we consider the pick were getting is “free”.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So. Ray Emery died. And the hockey world is “mourning” it, I guess. 

Feels weird to me. Arrested for assaulting his fiancé and threatening her with a weapon. Was an all-around sh!thead on the ice, I’ll never forget his “fight” (see: assault) on Holtby. Didn’t he also assault his trainer in russia? 

Respect for the dead always fascinates me. When an arsehole dies he doesn’t become a good person. He just becomes a dead arsehole.

I’m sure there will be a love in when Bobby Hull dies.  Just the way we humans are.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So. Ray Emery died. And the hockey world is “mourning” it, I guess. 

Feels weird to me. Arrested for assaulting his fiancé and threatening her with a weapon. Was an all-around sh!thead on the ice, I’ll never forget his “fight” (see: assault) on Holtby. Didn’t he also assault his trainer in russia? 

Respect for the dead always fascinates me. When an arsehole dies he doesn’t become a good person. He just becomes a dead arsehole.

I agree with you. It's standard practice to have selective memory when people die, but I don't think it's due to respect. I thought TSN's writeup was pretty honest.