2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

17 hours ago, titans04 said:

wow nice job!

if all else fails he has a future as a personal trainer 😄

As someone who works out pretty religiously, I can tell you that 415 on deadlifts really isn't that much.  You'd be surprised how many people can do that, and for more than a couple of reps.  Not knocking Zacha in any way (and his form is perfect), just pointing that out.  

I'll readily point out that deadlifts are not my strength...after I hurt my back for the third time doing them, I had to eliminate them from my routine.  Sucks in that they're a terrific "bang for the buck" exercise.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Puts the wings over the cap by what 3 mil?

Franzen is nearly $4 mil on LTIR & this (just over $6 mil): 

@HeleneStJames  "I am anxious to know where Henrik Zetterberg is at. He’s a bit of an unknown as far as health. Have talked to his agent - he has had tough summer. He hasn’t been able to train anywhere near where at past summers. I'm hoping he'll play." - Ken Holland

Edited by LittleBallofHate

11 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Franzen is nearly $4 mil on LTIR & this (just over $6 mil): 

@HeleneStJames  "I am anxious to know where Henrik Zetterberg is at. He’s a bit of an unknown as far as health. Have talked to his agent - he has had tough summer. He hasn’t been able to train anywhere near where at past summers. I'm hoping he'll play." - Ken Holland

If the league lets the Red Wings get away with a bullsh!t IR for Zetterberg, the Devils really need to look seriously at some kind of grievance to get some draft consideration back for the Kovalchuk penalty, maybe like a sandwich pick sometime in the middle of the first round or perhaps they get to move up a few spots.  Without fail, every single time one of these guys on a long term front loaded deal is at the stage when the contract is worth virtually nothing, there's a nonsense injury.  I thought Hossa's skin allergy couldn't be topped, but now it looks like we're getting into the territory of "I don't feel as good as I did when I was in my mid 20s" so I can't play anymore.  I don't know how much more blatant a team can get with cap circumvention, yet somehow the Devils are the only team that gets any real punishment for it.  Original Six brah!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

If the league lets the Red Wings get away with a bullsh!t IR for Zetterberg, the Devils really need to look seriously at some kind of grievance to get some draft consideration back for the Kovalchuk penalty, maybe like a sandwich pick sometime in the middle of the first round or perhaps they get to move up a few spots.  Without fail, every single time one of these guys on a long term front loaded deal is at the stage when the contract is worth virtually nothing, there's a nonsense injury.  I thought Hossa's skin allergy couldn't be topped, but now it looks like we're getting into the territory of "I don't feel as good as I did when I was in my mid 20s" so I can't play anymore.  I don't know how much more blatant a team can get with cap circumvention, yet somehow the Devils are the only team that gets any real punishment for it.  Original Six brah!

Zetterberg was the Wings' second highest scorer last year.  I doubt very much that the Wings don't want him back.  Zetterberg said at the end of the season that he wasn't sure if he could continue playing.  Now maybe he just doesn't want to play for a sh!tty team, but I suspect part of what we are learning here isn't that the league and players are conspiring to rule out healthy players, but rather that pretty much anyone who plays pro hockey into their late 30s does so through a myriad of injuries - it's that team doctors often greenlight otherwise injured players.

Edited by Triumph

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Zetterberg was the Wings' second highest scorer last year.  I doubt very much that the Wings don't want him back.  Zetterberg said at the end of the season that he wasn't sure if he could continue playing.  Now maybe he just doesn't want to play for a sh!tty team, but I suspect part of what we are learning here isn't that the league and players are conspiring to rule out healthy players, but rather that pretty much anyone who plays pro hockey into their late 30s does so through a myriad of injuries - it's that team doctors often greenlight otherwise injured players.

The league applies a different standard for popular teams.  Whether it’s a “conspiracy” is semantics.  

If the league were serious about things like cap circumvention when the team doesn’t involve the Devils, it would have to get an opinion from a independent doctor that the player cannot play hockey at any professional level.  And even then, the GM that made the deal, the agent and the player should be interviewed under oath to determine whether it was contemplated that the player didn’t intend to play at a certain point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The league applies a different standard for popular teams.  Whether it’s a “conspiracy” is semantics.  

If the league were serious about things like cap circumvention when the team doesn’t involve the Devils, it would have to get an opinion from a independent doctor that the player cannot play hockey at any professional level.  And even then, the GM that made the deal, the agent and the player should be interviewed under oath to determine whether it was contemplated that the player didn’t intend to play at a certain point.

They actually did this Alex Mogilny in 2006, and they also did it with Marian Hossa in 2017.  They've also done it with Joffrey Lupul.  Now I don't know how independent these doctors are, but they're at least going through the process of claiming they found one.

You're seeing a conspiracy where it isn't there.  The league is not applying a different standard to the Devils than it did to anyone else.  Daniel Alfredsson even admitted that he had no intention of playing the final year of his contract in Ottawa but then he found himself playing that year - those popular Ottawa Senators just get away with everything.  The Kovalchuk contract was by far the worst offender of the long-tail deals.  It's not even close.  Zetterberg's deal is actually a sensible diveback contract.  He got most of the money up front and if he wants to keep playing he can do so under that deal.  There's one $1M season there and it's when he's 39.  To me, guys want to keep playing - it's easy to say at age 27 that you want your last year to be when you're 38, but it's much harder to do so when you're 37.  

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

They actually did this Alex Mogilny in 2006, and they also did it with Marian Hossa in 2017.  They've also done it with Joffrey Lupul.  Now I don't know how independent these doctors are, but they're at least going through the process of claiming they found one.

You're seeing a conspiracy where it isn't there.  The league is not applying a different standard to the Devils than it did to anyone else.  Daniel Alfredsson even admitted that he had no intention of playing the final year of his contract in Ottawa but then he found himself playing that year - those popular Ottawa Senators just get away with everything.  The Kovalchuk contract was by far the worst offender of the long-tail deals.  It's not even close.  Zetterberg's deal is actually a sensible diveback contract.  He got most of the money up front and if he wants to keep playing he can do so under that deal.  There's one $1M season there and it's when he's 39.  To me, guys want to keep playing - it's easy to say at age 27 that you want your last year to be when you're 38, but it's much harder to do so when you're 37.  

The league does not want to popular teams like the Blackhawks or Detroit to be at a disadvantage if it can at all help it.  The arbitrator in the Kovalchuk case explicitly gave the league all the ammunition it needed to go after at least Chicago for Hossa and Philly for Pronger and the league did absolutely nothing.  

The bottom line is that Detroit invented the front loaded long term deal.  It is faced with a situation with a player that is not hurt entering the diving part of the deal going on LTIR so they don’t have to face the consequences of dealing a good asset.

Give us back a fvcking draft pick Bettman.

• Like 1

The league does not want to popular teams like the Blackhawks or Detroit to be at a disadvantage if it can at all help it.  The arbitrator in the Kovalchuk case explicitly gave the league all the ammunition it needed to go after at least Chicago for Hossa and Philly for Pronger and the league did absolutely nothing.  [/quote]

Philadelphia was never going to be disciplined for the Pronger deal because it was a 35+ deal and that's precisely why that rule existed - to stop teams from signing long deals where the money's front-loaded, giving the player an incentive to retire.  The Flyers' management was just too stupid to realize that when they signed the deal.

I don't know that Bloch's ruling gave them a whole lot on Hossa.  Hossa was being paid almost twice as much for the back-diving years and he was also younger when they happened.  It would be a very difficult argument to make. 

The bottom line is that Detroit invented the front loaded long term deal.  It is faced with a situation with a player that is not hurt entering the diving part of the deal going on LTIR so they don’t have to face the consequences of dealing a good asset.

Give us back a fvcking draft pick Bettman.

I'm not sure who you think Detroit has to trade.  Franzen is already going on LTIR, so the Wings don't need to make any outside moves to be cap compliant at the beginning of the season.

I'm also not sure why the Devils would get their draft pick back.

24 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Philadelphia was never going to be disciplined for the Pronger deal because it was a 35+ deal and that's precisely why that rule existed - to stop teams from signing long deals where the money's front-loaded, giving the player an incentive to retire.  The Flyers' management was just too stupid to realize that when they signed the deal.

I don't know that Bloch's ruling gave them a whole lot on Hossa.  Hossa was being paid almost twice as much for the back-diving years and he was also younger when they happened.  It would be a very difficult argument to make. 

I'm not sure who you think Detroit has to trade.  Franzen is already going on LTIR, so the Wings don't need to make any outside moves to be cap compliant at the beginning of the season.

I'm also not sure why the Devils would get their draft pick back.

There is a footnote in the Bloch decision where he addresses various players with the same type of contract that Kovalchuk got by name, one of them was definitely Hossa, and I believe he mentioned Pronger too, despite the fact that he was over 35.  It explicitly gives the league the option to pursue those contracts and hand out penalties notwithstanding the amount of time that passed since those deals were signed.

Who or what could Detroit be forced to trade?  How about a first round pick and Kronwall for I dunno, Jocktain Chaney.  Or maybe Rasmussen or Joe Veleno or any prospect in your system not named Zadina.  Don't like it, well there aren't many teams out there that have the means to get you into cap compliance.  The fact that you got there isn't my problem.

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We didn’t lose a draft pick in the end, did we?

It went from being what would have been 11th overall to 30th overall.  That's a huge drop in value. 

Ironically, had it not been for the penalty, or had Lou given up the pick when he should have, we very well might have ended up drafting Dylan Larkin, whose extension has put the Wings in trouble.

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We didn’t lose a draft pick in the end, did we?

We dropped like 20 spots from where we would’ve been picking that year we were awarded the 30th pick. If we picked in the top 10 like we were supposed to, WE’D be the ones announcing a Dylan Larkin extension today and not Detroit. 

Edited by MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There is a footnote in the Bloch decision where he addresses various players with the same type of contract that Kovalchuk got by name, one of them was definitely Hossa, and I believe he mentioned Pronger too, despite the fact that he was over 35.  It explicitly gives the league the option to pursue those contracts and hand out penalties notwithstanding the amount of time that passed since those deals were signed.[/quote]

The problem here is that where does it end?  If they go after Hossa, they have to go after Savard, Luongo, Alfredsson, and it's hard to know where it stops.  The Devils didn't have to serve them an easy case, but unfortunately they did.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Who or what could Detroit be forced to trade?  How about a first round pick and Kronwall for I dunno, Jocktain Chaney.  Or maybe Rasmussen or Joe Veleno or any prospect in your system not named Zadina.  Don't like it, well there aren't many teams out there that have the means to get you into cap compliance.  The fact that you got there isn't my problem.

Detroit is fine.  Whether or not Zetterberg plays this year, they will be cap compliant when the season opens.  I don't know why they wouldn't want Zetterberg not to play.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It went from being what would have been 11th overall to 30th overall.  That's a huge drop in value. 

Ironically, had it not been for the penalty, or had Lou given up the pick when he should have, we very well might have ended up drafting Dylan Larkin, whose extension has put the Wings in trouble.

Yeah I get that. So the answer is no, we didn’t lose a pick. So they can’t give us back something we didn’t lose. 

Maybe they should just award us Dylan Larkin? Or just re-do the entire draft for that year?