2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Again, do not want Marty in the front office.  Very little to gain from it, and very difficult to get rid of him if it doesn’t work.

amen.

I think we have the right pieces in our front office already.  Other than the sentimental value I don't think there's anything to gain.  I don't want to mess with the chemistry at this point.  Unless they create some title that essentially means absolutely nothing.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Or to the Isles with Lou...

If/when Marty decides he wants to continue his post-playing hockey career, I think it's this...that seems like the best fit for him.  I don't think he has a place here, with this current regime...these aren't those Devils anymore.  Things are just different now. 

I never understood why fans think he would be a good fit here anyways as a decision maker.  I constantly hear fans say that he is a great evaluator of talent but when asked what evidence there is of that the only reason I ever get back is that he played a long time.

Yeah I really don't want him here in any sort of front office position.  I think former players shouldn't be back with us other than Asst. coaching positions or as part of the Devils alumni.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know what role he really played with the Blues and to what extent he was involved, so I can't say whether or not he'd be a good fit and bring something of value to us, but if he was good at his job, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.  

He was assistant GM, so I imagine he was pretty involved. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If/when Marty decides he wants to continue his post-playing hockey career, I think it's this...that seems like the best fit for him.  I don't think he has a place here, with this current regime...these aren't those Devils anymore.  Things are just different now. 

Agree totally. It's only the same team in name. The administration is all new guard, Shero's people. While I am sure Shero realizes the significance Marty had for this franchise, he wasn't here for it. He didn't have that relationship with him. 

If Lou was still here, and he decided to bring Marty in (and holding aside any "Lou didn't know what he was doing anymore' stuff), I would feel more confident because he knew Marty and knew what his capabilities were and what his weaknesses were. If Ray were to bring him in, its probably just because he's a former player (probably the most significant one, but still) and the fans would like it. 

I don't find the latter to be a very good reason for giving a guy a job. Of course, there remains the possibility that he's REALLY good at being an assistant GM, and is totally capable of filling such a position. 

Now, if we need an Alumni type dude, 100% I'm in. I love when guys are still "around the team" but not controlling our destiny. Grant Marshall and Colin White are good examples. 

If we needed a goalie coach, we could do a hell of a lot worse. 

But I'm not sold on his upper management abilities, and I am 100% sure there is zero relation between a hugely successful career playing hockey and a successful career managing a team. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree totally. It's only the same team in name. The administration is all new guard, Shero's people. While I am sure Shero realizes the significance Marty had for this franchise, he wasn't here for it. He didn't have that relationship with him. 

If Lou was still here, and he decided to bring Marty in (and holding aside any "Lou didn't know what he was doing anymore' stuff), I would feel more confident because he knew Marty and knew what his capabilities were and what his weaknesses were. If Ray were to bring him in, its probably just because he's a former player (probably the most significant one, but still) and the fans would like it. 

I don't find the latter to be a very good reason for giving a guy a job. Of course, there remains the possibility that he's REALLY good at being an assistant GM, and is totally capable of filling such a position. 

Now, if we need an Alumni type dude, 100% I'm in. I love when guys are still "around the team" but not controlling our destiny. Grant Marshall and Colin White are good examples. 

But I'm not sold on his upper management abilities, and I am 100% sure there is zero relation between a hugely successful career playing hockey and a successful career managing a team. 

Agreed.  That's the only position with us right now I would be comfortable with him being in.

• Like 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Actually, I think the fact that Shero DOESN'T have any connection to Marty is the main reason that, if Shero ever did decide to hire him (though I wouldn't love it) I'd have to defer to Shero.  I don't think Shero would care about Marty's past here at all...I think he would approach this strictly as "Can Marty the execute help this franchise in a front office role?  Can he help me build a better team?  If not, then I don't need him."  I don't think Marty the Hall-Of-Fame goalie means a thing to Shero; if anything, I think Marty's (playing) past would hold more weight with Lou than it ever would with Ray. 

So if he's ever here...it will only be because Ray believes in him as an asset to the front office. 

• Like 2

To clarify, Marty might turn out to be a great GM.  But we already have a very good GM, and there's very little value added among good GMs.  That is, there's no secret formula for success that say Steve Yzerman has that really anyone who has basic competence can't figure out also.  But if he turns out to be Marc Bergevin terrible, a large portion of Devils fans would make it impossible to get rid of him, or at least very painful.

Speaking of Bergevin, my guess is that Marty might be a candidate for the Montreal job when Bergevin is inevitably fired.  People used to say it was Roy's job to lose, but he's proven to be such a hot head, that he may not get another gig.  Marty might have actually learned a thing from Lou about keeping all team business in house and away from the media, which is something that the Canadians could really use. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

To clarify, Marty might turn out to be a great GM.  But we already have a very good GM, and there's very little value added among good GMs.  That is, there's no secret formula for success that say Steve Yzerman has that really anyone who has basic competence can't figure out also.  But if he turns out to be Marc Bergevin terrible, a large portion of Devils fans would make it impossible to get rid of him, or at least very painful.

Speaking of Bergevin, my guess is that Marty might be a candidate for the Montreal job when Bergevin is inevitably fired.  People used to say it was Roy's job to lose, but he's proven to be such a hot head, that he may not get another gig.  Marty might have actually learned a thing from Lou about keeping all team business in house and away from the media, which is something that the Canadians could really use. 

You make a good point. Reminds me a bit of the Ranger fans Mark Messier loyalists who desperately wanted him as head coach after Tortorella was fired. You also also had a faction who wanted nothing to do with him as coach knowing how messy and uncomfortable it would be to get rid of him and how it may chip away at his "immortal" 94 legacy if a failed coaching tenure was now part of his Rangers legacy. Marty is someone who's very moody and passive aggressive as we saw towards the end of his career. Getting rid of him could end up causing a long term rift between the organization and its most legendary home grown talent. Better to not even go there.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 3