2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

As SJ doesn't have a first next year, if one of the prospects involved is not Merkely, I will be extremely annoyed if Shero didn't try to outbid SJ.

I try and not torture myself over stuff like this, because we have no clue what goes on behind closed doors and all that..

But at first glance, this return appears to be horrendous for Ottawa and I cannot believe we didn't outbid it.

• Like 1

Just now, Devs3cups said:

Basically 2 average regular players, a decent NCAA prospect, and 2 first rounders for arguably the best defenceman in the world. Wow. Seems like a huge steal.

It's one first rounder and a second rounder.  They also got another prospect who I guess you can liken to Quenneville.

The only thing I can think of is that Karlsson made it clear he wouldn't immediately sign an extension with any team except Tampa.  Otherwise,  McLeod, Wood, Severson and next year's first is easily better than what Ottawa ended up with.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I can imagine us not getting him had to do either with 1) Ott not wanting to trade within the conference 2) We are on his no-trade list or 3) a little bit of 1 and 2.

You never know about 2, but I don't think guys like Dreger would be bringing us up if we were on his no trade list.

As to 1, it's an extremely stupid reason not to take a superior deal, especially if it's just the same conference.  I get it if it's a bitter rival.  Let me put it this way, if Shero were in a position where he had to trade Hall, and got this sort of return and turned down something far superior from Buffalo because it was the same conference I would start breaking many things.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You never know about 2, but I don't think guys like Dreger would be bringing us up if we were on his no trade list.

As to 1, it's an extremely stupid reason not to take a superior deal, especially if it's just the same conference.  I get it if it's a bitter rival.  Let me put it this way, if Shero were in a position where he had to trade Hall, and got this sort of return and turned down something far superior from Buffalo because it was the same conference I would start breaking many things.

Oh me too and completely agree.  However how many times do we still see smart GM's still stuck with these type of mentalities?

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

This made me think back to the Schneider trade. It was pretty much a well known fact that Edmonton had a good player, blue chip prospect and 1st round pick on the table for Schneider, but he was traded to us for our 1st only. Made no sense whatsoever, but I'm not complaining lol.  Thanks Gillis!

So in summary:

2019 or 2020 1st

2019 2nd round pick

2021 2nd round pick (becomes 1st IF he re-signs AND they make it to the final)

1st in 2021 or 2022 if EK signs in the East THIS year (correction)

Two low-level NHL roster players

1 average prospect

For the best defenseman in hockey.

Edited by Devilsfan118

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

This made me think back to the Schneider trade. It was pretty much a well known fact that Edmonton had a good player, blue chip prospect and 1st round pick on the table for Schneider, but he was traded to us for our 1st only. Made no sense whatsoever, but I'm not complaining lol.  Thanks Gillis!

That I sorta got in that it was supposedly Edmonton, which is a real rival.  It's also never clear if that was an offer from Edmonton, or was just what Vancouver was asking for.  And at least there, Vancouver knew the exact pick and probably player they were getting who has turned into a very good NHL player. 

This return for Ottawa is just atrocious.

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So in summary:

2019 or 2020 1st

2019 2nd round pick

2021 2nd round pick (becomes 1st IF he re-signs AND they make it to the final)

1st in 2021 or 2022 if EK signs in the East THIS year (correction)

Two low-level NHL roster players

1 average prospect

For the best defenseman in hockey.

If Brown is right, that means that an extension was not part of the deal. If that's what they paid for a one year (or less) rental, I understand it more. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

If Brown is right, that means that an extension was not part of the deal. If that's what they paid for a one year rental, I understand it more. 

If he's purely a rental and has told San Jose that he is 100% going to test the market next summer, then yeah this deal makes a little more sense.

But if he ends up re-upping in San Jose.. yikes. Yikes for Ottawa.

• Like 2

How awful this is for Ottawa in perspective.

Max Pacioretty on the last year of his deal brought back a better return than Karlsson.  It might turn out that Jeff Skinner did too if Cliff Pu turns out to be better than Norris.

One extra playoff run of Ryan McDonough blows the Karlsson return out of the water. 

Vegas was offering something much bigger at the TDL for Karlsson, but supposedly Melnyk insisting that Ryan be included killed the deal.

Not even in the depths of the Michael Ryder, Bobby Butler days were things this awful for us.

• Like 2

In other "news" ... 😄

Kyle Dubas said he will not be continuing on with Lou's rules of no facial hair with #Leafs. Says Leafs are asking for nine-month long commitment from players and families and therefore will let them express themselves (professionally) however they choose.

So, beards are in.

— Kristen Shilton (@kristen_shilton) September 13, 2018

• Like 2