2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

If he's purely a rental and has told San Jose that he is 100% going to test the market next summer, then yeah this deal makes a little more sense.

But if he ends up re-upping in San Jose.. yikes. Yikes for Ottawa.

Oh, for sure. But if they are talking about an extra pick if be plays in the East this season, that means that they are contemplating SJ trading him at the deadline. Which means at the present time, there's no extension nor any plan for one. 

Now you are talking about having EK for one year, maybe even just 5 months. How much do you expect to get in return for that? 

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

How awful this is for Ottawa in perspective.

Max Pacioretty on the last year of his deal brought back a better return than Karlsson.  It might turn out that Jeff Skinner did too if Cliff Pu turns out to be better than Norris.

One extra playoff run of Ryan McDonough blows the Karlsson return out of the water. 

Vegas was offering something much bigger at the TDL for Karlsson, but supposedly Melnyk insisting that Ryan be included killed the deal.

Not even in the depths of the Michael Ryder, Bobby Butler days were things this awful for us.

Pacioretty immediately signed an extension. It's a whole different animal. 

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

How awful this is for Ottawa in perspective.

Max Pacioretty on the last year of his deal brought back a better return than Karlsson.  It might turn out that Jeff Skinner did too if Cliff Pu turns out to be better than Norris.

One extra playoff run of Ryan McDonough blows the Karlsson return out of the water. 

Vegas was offering something much bigger at the TDL for Karlsson, but supposedly Melnyk insisting that Ryan be included killed the deal.

Not even in the depths of the Michael Ryder, Bobby Butler days were things this awful for us.

AND- Ottawa doesn’t have their first this year. The biggest winner in this whole thing is Colorado. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I guess we can hope for Ottawa crashing and burning quickly so we can try and land Stone.

Though Ottawa bottoming out this year, comically enough, doesn't help them.

The Avs own their pick this year.  The #1 overall could very well go to the Avs this year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Though Ottawa bottoming out this year, comically enough, doesn't help them.

The Avs own their pick this year.  The #1 overall could very well go to the Avs this year.

Not that they tank, just that they know sooner rather than later that they're going to be awful no matter what. 

I'm glad the Devils are getting the attention, but a documentary of what's going on inside the Ottawa front office with lots of quotes from Melnyk would be glorious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Beat me to it - great call.

This is just.. embarrassing for Ottawa and their fans.  I feel bad for them.  

Imagine being as bad as Ottawa is going to be this year, and having to watch another team draft Jack Hughes with your pick. I wouldn’t blame any Sens fan for picking up a meth habit at this point. 

Oh well, at least that one's over.  I'm actually kind of relieved that the Devils didn't get Karlsson...a year ago I felt differently for sure (I wanted him), and if anything, it sounds like he might very well test the UFA waters this year...as of now NJ isn't that sexy destination for big-name UFAs and it may never truly be, but if Shero for whatever the reason decided to make a serious run at Karlsson this offseason, at least it will only cost him money. 

And as others have noted, I can't imagine being a Sens fan right now.  It was two friggin' years ago that they were a game away from going to the 2016-17 SCF.  And they've had their share of competitive (and sometimes exciting) teams through the years.  What a fvcking mess.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think this easily tops what Ottawa got and enough for them to live with the same conference nonsense: Severson, Quenneville, Maltsev, 2019 first, 2020 3rd, and a 2020 first if he re-signs and we make the Cup finals.  Anyone not do that?

For a #1 D-man in his prime?  Are you mad? Think of all the cap space we'd lose!

Joking aside, I think that's a fair comparable and yes, I would do that for even a year of him.

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I guess with no extension included, I understand why Ray would lose interest. This is not a "win now" type of year for the Devils. 

While we're definitely not in "win now" mode yet, I would say we're at least in a "must show improvement" mode no?

I feel like if this team takes a step back this year and misses the playoffs Taylor Hall won't be a happy camper.

13 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I guess with no extension included, I understand why Ray would lose interest. This is not a "win now" type of year for the Devils. 

Pretty much the above.  I think if the Devils were one player away and truly knocking on the door, maybe Shero takes a shot with an EK.  

11 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

For a #1 D-man in his prime?  Are you mad? Think of all the cap space we'd lose!

Joking aside, I think that's a fair comparable and yes, I would do that for even a year of him.

While we're definitely not in "win now" mode yet, I would say we're at least in a "must show improvement" mode no?

I feel like if this team takes a step back this year and misses the playoffs Taylor Hall won't be a happy camper.

Cross that bridge if you come to it.  This wasn't the year to rent Karlsson for one season, even if the Devils might've given up less than expected...Daniel's proposal wasn't bad, but you're still giving up a cost-controlled D and some high-round picks...Devils aren't that deep on D at the moment.  And if anything, Ray's shown himself to be an aggressive trader...if the team is not playing well 25-30 games in, he'll start tweaking. 

I gotta admit, the Ottawa return on EK was just bad enough that it almost sounds like what Yankee fans call in to propose on the WFAN when they decide they're entitled to Jacob deGrom or some other team's star:  "We'll give you 5 or 6 of our meh or sh!t players for your one terrific player."  It's really funny, but you wonder if Ottawa would've considered Daniel's proposed package.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

In the immediate term, you are essentially replacing Severson with Karlsson and maybe you lose a surprise year from Quenneville where he puts up numbers similar to Bratt.  I think that would have made us a contender, and a not terrible chance at the Conference finals, especially if one or two other teams are hit with some bad luck. 

My view since last season has been that we're two real impact players away from taking the next step.  Maybe we have one of those guys in Smith and maybe McLeod or Zacha surprises us this year.  But it really seems to me that we need someone that's not in the organization right now, and I don't see any more Hall/Larsson trades on the horizon.  Maybe you can snag someone like Neidereitter, but I don't think even someone like him gets us to where we need to be. 

Bottom line, I think if you consider yourself a playoff team, you take your chances with one of the best players in the world, especially if it's at a real bargain.

Edited by Daniel

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So apparently Pageau got injured in the weight/training room the other day and might have a ruptured achilles tendon.

I thought the season where Kovy and Parise left NJ was the worse I had seen it for a team in the modern era, but holy crap Ottawa is taking the cake. Every day it gets worse and worse for them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So apparently Pageau got injured in the weight/training room the other day and might have a ruptured achilles tendon.

Ottawa may challenge their own franchise record for futility (the 92-93 Sens were quite possibly the worst NHL team that’s ever existed). Again, no first either. 

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

There is a whole list of those who "must show improvement."

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Remember when Zajac did the same freaking thing?

On that note, props to Trav for surviving August without injuring himself for half the year for the first time in three years...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Barring some unforeseen catastrophe, Hall will have turned out to be the biggest two-faced jerk in NHL history if he does not sign an extension.  I'm not worried about it at all, and the Seguin deal makes me more confident that his cap hit won't be obscene. 

I also believe the reports that Shero was trying to "inch his way in" on Karlsson in the past couple of days.  It just seemed Ottawa would not trade him in the conference unless we gave them Nico or something ridiculous like that.  So I'm not mad at Shero, just disappointed that it probably wasn't in the cards.

The only thing I was somewhat disappointed in this offseason was that Shero apparently didn't even bother to try and sign de Haan.  Not that he's amazing, just that he would have made the team better and it wouldn't have affected the team's ability to do anything in the future. 

• Like 2