2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

Now this is just weird.  Lou is apparently on Strickland’s radio show, where just yesterday Strickland was talking at length about Tavares’s free agent options, including St. Louis.

This would basically be like Lou being interviewed by a Wild or Pittsburgh beat reporter before Parise’s impending free agency.

I don’t know if it’s a sign that Lou is starting to lose his marbles, or if there’s some kind of eleven dinensional chess game at work here.

39 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Now this is just weird.  Lou is apparently on Strickland’s radio show, where just yesterday Strickland was talking at length about Tavares’s free agent options, including St. Louis.

This would basically be like Lou being interviewed by a Wild or Pittsburgh beat reporter before Parise’s impending free agency.

I don’t know if it’s a sign that Lou is starting to lose his marbles, or if there’s some kind of eleven dinensional chess game at work here.

I don't know that weird is the right word.  Uncomfortable (for the GM), maybe.   I know I wouldn't necessarily want to take a job as a GM and my first act of duty before my ass is even in the seat is the try to find a way to keep the most important player in last 40 years of the franchise to keep from jumping ship.  But in terms of it being weird?  I think it makes total sense.  The guy is a respected hockey figure and has been for a long, long time.  He just took a high ranking job, in a pretty high profile place.  Why wouldn't he get interviewed?  And of course when he does get interviewed, you think they're just not going to mention the elephant in the room?

39 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know that weird is the right word.  Uncomfortable (for the GM), maybe.   I know I wouldn't necessarily want to take a job as a GM and my first act of duty before my ass is even in the seat is the try to find a way to keep the most important player in last 40 years of the franchise to keep from jumping ship.  But in terms of it being weird?  I think it makes total sense.  The guy is a respected hockey figure and has been for a long, long time.  He just took a high ranking job, in a pretty high profile place.  Why wouldn't he get interviewed?  And of course when he does get interviewed, you think they're just not going to mention the elephant in the room?

Agree 100%. He had no choice. 

42 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I’m not saying don’t give interviews.  He’s been doing that a lot for the past week.  But it’s very strange to give an interview on St. Louis sports talk radio to a guy who isn’t really a household name among even dedicated hockey fans and who has been pushing for your best player to sign with the team he primarily covers.

Again, we would have been going apesh!t if Lou were giving interviews in the markets where Parise was being rumored to have interest in during in May or June of 2012.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Oh, based on what he did in the SEL I have no doubt about that.  I’m really just marveling at how a string bean like that could do it.

Yeah. I watched him a lot in Hockeyallsvenskan the year prior and got somewhat caught up in the "he might not be able to hang physically in the SHL"-talk. Also saw him as a bit of a project for the NHL. I usually don't bet against skill but I did there and I won't make that mistake again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m sure he can.... he needs to gain a pound or 70 though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's often like that with European players. but it's something with the water in NHL, give him a year and he will be bigger

• Like 1

It's often like that with European players. but it's something with the water in NHL, give him a year and he will be bigger

Yeah once he gets with NHL strength coaches and nutritionists I’m sure he’ll bulk up. But man is dude skinny as fvck lol.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah once he gets with NHL strength coaches and nutritionists I’m sure he’ll bulk up. But man is dude skinny as fvck lol.

Guys, teams here have that too. His brother is a few years older, in the Nashville organisation and he's still built like a stick.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:51 PM, Daniel said:

Wonder if Marty asked Lou to do it as a favor?

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, Daniel said:

I’m not saying don’t give interviews.  He’s been doing that a lot for the past week.  But it’s very strange to give an interview on St. Louis sports talk radio to a guy who isn’t really a household name among even dedicated hockey fans and who has been pushing for your best player to sign with the team he primarily covers.

Again, we would have been going apesh!t if Lou were giving interviews in the markets where Parise was being rumored to have interest in during in May or June of 2012.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think that's the right comparison.  Lou giving an interview to someone in St. Louis about Tavares after he took the job for the Islanders isn't like him talking to Wild about Parise while working for us...it would be like him talking any other team, after having just signed with the Leafs, and if Parise was supposedly leaving around that time.

So here's my plan to get Griffey and Bonds this offseason without having to give up all that much with the cap probably going up to $80 million.

We sign Tavares and Carlson, combined cap hit of $19 million.  We trade Zacha, Bratt and Severson to Edmonton for 10th overall and Puljaarvi. 

In the first round we draft Noah Dobson and Joel Farabee.

Opening day lineup (assume no injuries and no goalies for the time being)

Hall Tavares Puljaarvi
Mojo Nico Palmieri
Coleman Zajac Noessen
Wood Boyle Anderson
McLeod Quenneville

Greene Carlson
Mueller Vatanen
Butcher Santini
Lovejoy

Will probably lose Mojo after this year as a cap casualty, but he is replaced by Farabee.  Dobson will be ready to replace Vatanen when he becomes a free agent.  Or you re-sign Vatanen, since Greene's contract will be off the books, and trade Santini. 

27 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Wait, 10th overall and Poolparty? There's about a 1% chance Edmonton would even let you finish the proposal before they hung up laughing.

The only thing that makes it unlikely is the poor optics of Chiarelli making another big trade with Shreo, but from what you otherwise hear it makes sense.  

Chiarelli has said that he's trading the pick, and the rumored deal that's getting thrown around is 10th overall and Klefbom for Ristolainen.  In my deal he doesn't have to give up Klefbom and he still gets a cost controlled right handed defenseman, admittedly a downgrade from Risto, but perhaps not too much depending on who you ask. 

While he's giving up Poolparty too, he's also getting a replacement at right wing that's put up points at a better rate thus far in Bratt.  And then you add Zacha to the mix, who whatever you think of him, is at least a third line center with scorning upside. 

Any interest in Andre Sister? (UFA)  He's a righty D, and got lost in numbers in Tampa. Girardi/McDonaugh leapt ahead of him & played big minutes.

4 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Any interest in Andre Sister? (UFA)  He's a righty D, and got lost in numbers in Tampa. Girardi/McDonaugh leapt ahead of him & played big minutes.

I really do not like Sustr.  I see him play down here often and he just doesn't really stand out in any way.  For being 6'8" he doesn't use his size much at all, and he doesn't play the PP or the PK.  Honestly I think his only upside is his age, and I guess his low price tag, but I think his price tag is low for a reason...

34 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Re-sign Patrick Maroon: 2y/5.5m. I loved everything about his game in the short time he was here, and I suspect the coaching staff did as well.

Have to agree. The guy moves in slow motion yet he’s never exposed for it and always where he needs to be.

Just goes to show, you can’t teach hockey sense or size. You have it or you don’t, and he does.

I dont see the Devils holding onto there current 1st round pick, either the Devils are going to trade down and pick up more picks which they need or they are going to trade there pick to a team like the Lightings who are not in the best position cap wise and get maybe  TJ Miller 

57 minutes ago, sokar said:

I dont see the Devils holding onto there current 1st round pick, either the Devils are going to trade down and pick up more picks which they need or they are going to trade there pick to a team like the Lightings who are not in the best position cap wise and get maybe  TJ Miller 

As TJ Miller has been the subject of sexual harassment allegations and booted off Silicon Valley, I doubt he’s in the Devils plans.  Maybe JT Miller, but unless Tampa has to give him away I don’t see a match there.

I also don’t see the Devils trading down unless it’s a few spots and they have a specific player in mind.   They need impact prospects not more prospects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2