2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

TSN listed their top 20 free agents this year, and 3 "best-fits" teams for each. 
The Devils were listed as a top-3 suitor for: JT (1st), Carlson (2nd). JVR (3rd) and Maroon (12th).
Really starting to set myself up mentally to be suicidal if we don't land one of the big guns. Just like last year. And then Kevin Weekes tweeted that Shattenkirk was a Ranger, and I jumped off a bridge.

Don’t get your hopes too high. You know how this sh!t goes sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

TSN listed their top 20 free agents this year, and 3 "best-fits" teams for each. 

The Devils were listed as a top-3 suitor for: JT (1st), Carlson (2nd). JVR (3rd) and Maroon (12th).

Really starting to set myself up mentally to be suicidal if we don't land one of the big guns. Just like last year. And then Kevin Weekes tweeted that Shattenkirk was a Ranger, and I jumped off a bridge.

Do ya got the link to this? Just wanna look through and see who else is listed there

I'm not all that high on Carlson. His peak year appears to have been this year, now hes going to get paid and its going to be mostly down hill. I like what several other people have suggested in going for De Haan more. Tavares would be nice though. Really nice. I mean, if we're going to overpay then I'd rather have the guy that is worth the over payment. 

28 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

He's 28 years old. He'll be overpaid by the end of his contract, sure, but that's the same with any big signing ever. 

We'll have 3-4 years at least of prime, superstar, top-20 in the NHL defenseman John Carlson. We have no major cap issues and won't for the duration of Carlson's contract. And he would cost us literally zero assets. 

I have no fvcking idea how anyone in their right mind could be "not high on Carlson". He plays a position of need on a team that's ready to do some damage again. 

The stat people are predicting that he’ll decline very rapidly.  I gave up trying to assess that one way or the other.

What I will say is that signing him makes it easier to trade Severson, who should bring back something good.  I was hoping to get the 10th overall from Edmonton, but if you won’t know whether Carlson has any interest in signing here, so it’s a big risk.

The one thing that drives me nuts is when people try to peg some kind of theoretical dollar value to a player.  What matters is whether someone’s salary prevents you from doing something you want or have to do down the road.  Maybe signing Carlson does that maybe not.  But just discuss it on those terms.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You think Carlson is more likely than re-signing Patty Maroon? 

I mean, I'm down. Just... doesn't seem right. 

Yes. Those two could be flip flopped, but I just don’t feel like Maroon has any connection to NJ and will likely go elsewhere. 

I really feel like Carlson will be a Devil. It’s not a big geographic move, he’s from the area, he fits the Devils’ exact needs, we have plenty of money to pay him, he gets to be the 1D, etc.

Could be horribly wrong, but it’s a gut feeling. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The stat people are predicting that he’ll decline very rapidly.  I gave up trying to assess that one way or the other.

What I will say is that signing him makes it easier to trade Severson, who should bring back something good.  I was hoping to get the 10th overall from Edmonton, but if you won’t know whether Carlson has any interest in signing here, so it’s a big risk.

The one thing that drives me nuts is when people try to peg some kind of theoretical dollar value to a player.  What matters is whether someone’s salary prevents you from doing something you want or have to do down the road.  Maybe signing Carlson does that maybe not.  But just discuss it on those terms.

Does Severson bring back a10th overall pick?!

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Does Severson bring back a10th overall pick?!

Probably not on his own, but it'll be close based on what you hear that Edmonton is prepared to trade Klefbom and 10 overall for Ristolainen. 

As I've said before, what makes it unlikely is that the optics will be very poor for Chiarelli if he makes another big trade with Shero.  On the other hand, it might be the best deal he gets, so he'll have to take it.

Dunno about "most likely," but here are the "UFA" names I would target to sign, provided the price is right:

• Tavares - you have to make a play
  • Maroon - brings a lot to the table and might be at an affordable pricetag
  • Derek Ryan - cheap depth for a 3rd line C/wing
  • Grabner - did terribly with NJ, but sometimes it takes longer to develop chemistry, I'd make an offer
  • De Haan - good Dman who won't be crazily expensive
  • Roussel - if you're looking for grit + some skill - he's your man

John Carlson will probably command too much $$$, but I could see NJ making an offer, although I'd be concerned about giving him more than 5.5m.  He'll likely get 7.  NJ could also make a play to trade for Erik Karlson if they're willing to give up the likes of Severson+Bratt+Zacha+more probably.

26 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Dunno about "most likely," but here are the "UFA" names I would target to sign, provided the price is right:

• Tavares - you have to make a play
  • Maroon - brings a lot to the table and might be at an affordable pricetag
  • Derek Ryan - cheap depth for a 3rd line C/wing
  • Grabner - did terribly with NJ, but sometimes it takes longer to develop chemistry, I'd make an offer
  • De Haan - good Dman who won't be crazily expensive
  • Roussel - if you're looking for grit + some skill - he's your man

John Carlson will probably command too much $$$, but I could see NJ making an offer, although I'd be concerned about giving him more than 5.5m.  He'll likely get 7.  NJ could also make a play to trade for Erik Karlson if they're willing to give up the likes of Severson+Bratt+Zacha+more probably.

For Karlsson, I'd do your package and take the risk of adding next year's first rounder, assuming an extension is agreed to ahead of time.  If the deal is to take Bobby Ryan too (some money retained), I'd take Zacha out of it.  I'm not in love with Zacha, but I'd rather part with the winger.  Or, if Ottawa ends up selecting Adam Boqvist, they'll attach more value to bringing in his brother.

Don't want Maroon back unless he takes a real discount.  Just way too slow, which burned us a couple of times in the Tampa series.

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I think Grabner and Shero did a fist bump and a "later dude" on the way out. There is no way the Devils offer him a contract, and there's no way he wants to be on the Devils. He was a healthy scratch in half of the teams playoff games, even though he had like 26 goals by the trade deadline. 

You're probably right.  I was just saying what I personally would consider - sometimes players take longer to gel.  But it's a fair assessment that Grabner may not want to be back.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

For Karlsson, I'd do your package and take the risk of adding next year's first rounder, assuming an extension is agreed to ahead of time.  If the deal is to take Bobby Ryan too (some money retained), I'd take Zacha out of it.  I'm not in love with Zacha, but I'd rather part with the winger.  Or, if Ottawa ends up selecting Adam Boqvist, they'll attach more value to bringing in his brother.

Don't want Maroon back unless he takes a real discount.  Just way too slow, which burned us a couple of times in the Tampa series.

I think we have the framework of a deal here, Daniel.  Should we call the league office to firm up?

Fair enough on Maroon - but TB was destined to win that series, especially after Vatanen got injured.  They were a great team and were a hair's width away from the SCF.  I don't blame the loss on Maroon.  I like that he's a meaty player who can score, pass, fight, hit, throw up 20 goals and 40 pts, etc.  I think guys like that are very useful.  But the tea leaves are yet to show whether Maroon will b-line it right back to EDM, a strong possibility.

3 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I think Grabner and Shero did a fist bump and a "later dude" on the way out. There is no way the Devils offer him a contract, and there's no way he wants to be on the Devils. He was a healthy scratch in half of the teams playoff games, even though he had like 26 goals by the trade deadline. 

Sadly, on the TSN site (best UFA RW's available are) #1 Grabner. If he's the best RW available out there, that only goes to show how valuable Righties can be. Somebody here wanted to get rid of Palms? Ray drafted a few righties recently, hopefully a couple will turn out to be decent.

I have faith almost everything is going to fall into place very nicely for next season...but one thing I am still wondering about is Bratt. I hope he comes in next season ready to go. I knew Nico would be fine, but I really want Bratt to work out. Sweden owes us damn it! 

7 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I'm thinking Joey Anderson might be able to come into camp and win a spot on the RW next year, I think he's ready to play a role in the NHL and seems very much like a Hynes type of player, kid never stops working.

He’ll be given every opportunity it seems.  The front office — Shero, Fitzgerald and Castro’s — all seem to love him.

I also imagine that the Rangers asked for him in the Grabner deal based on Shero’s comments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He’ll be given every opportunity it seems.  The front office — Shero, Fitzgerald and Castro’s — all seem to love him.

I also imagine that the Rangers asked for him in the Grabner deal based on Shero’s comments.

I already felt a little uneasy giving up Rykov in the Grabner deal, I would have flipped my sh!t if they traded Joey to the Rangers. Thank god.

• Like 1

I already felt a little uneasy giving up Rykov in the Grabner deal, I would have flipped my sh!t if they traded Joey to the Rangers. Thank god.

Yeah me too. Rykov is one thing, if we traded them Anderson I would’ve had a stroke lol.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ask-me-anything-predicting-john-carlson-s-landing-spot The Devils are an interesting fit. Financially, they’re set up better than any other team in the league to be major players in free agency. They’re my favorite landing spot for John Tavares and theoretically have room for Carlson should they want to go that route. But I spoke at length with GM Ray Shero about the philosophy of free agency just two weeks ago, and some of his musings made me wonder if he really wants to get aggressive after all. He said he doesn’t see free agency as the best way to build a team. More from Shero:

“Just speaking for myself, there’s a certain price you’ll pay. The cap could go up, and that could be very beneficial for some teams. It’s been a great thing for teams to remain competitive and be competitive, but at the same time, just because the cap goes up doesn’t mean everybody’s revenue has gone up and they’re going to spend that. Historically, is one player going to make that difference? I can think of one off the top of my head, one free agent signing that has really paid off (in the cap era), and that’s Zdeno Chara. How many others can you name?”

That sounds like a skeptic, not someone preparing to pursue the big fish. Unless, of course, Shero is playing coy and trying to throw us off the trail. He’s a smart man, so you never know.

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

So here’s a question, how much better is Carlson than Mike Green, especially considering you could probably get the latter on a three year deal at the longest.

I’m not into analytics, so I don’t have the numbers, but I would say it’s night and day.  Carlson is younger, faster, and perceivable better in every aspect of the game.  I’m a hard pass on Green, who is slow, a defensive liability, and on the decline.  Carlson will surely cost a lot more, with double the term, but he undoubtedly makes our D better over the next 3-4 years.  It’s after that when he declines and we have to deal with 3 years of a contract we may want to get out of that is the issue. Green doesn’t makes us much better next year IMO.

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I’m not into analytics, so I don’t have the numbers, but I would say it’s night and day.  Carlson is younger, faster, and perceivable better in every aspect of the game.  I’m a hard pass on Green, who is slow, a defensive liability, and on the decline.  Carlson will surely cost a lot more, with double the term, but he undoubtedly makes our D better over the next 3-4 years.  It’s after that when he declines and we have to deal with 3 years of a contract we may want to get out of that is the issue. Green doesn’t makes us much better next year IMO.

Agreed. That’s a guy you bring in after you fail to get anyone else, and you say “well at least we got someone decent”.