Jump to content

2018 Offseason Thread


LittleBallofHate
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Marshall said:

I *really* like ROR but I'd pass on this trade. I'm assuming it'd cost something like 17 OA + prospect or something of similar value. His 5v5 scoring has deterioriated over the last few years, from 1.9 per hour in Colorado to 1.08 this season. That's from fringe 1st liner to 4th liner and most of his points come on the powerplay and idk if I'd call it a lock that he'd be on PP1 for NJ. Yeah, he's playing very tough matchups, his 5v5 production this season is probably an outlier of sorts and he plays on a bad team, but his trend + age + salary are pretty big red flags for me. I get the vibes that we'll be sitting here in three years with ROR being a better, but more expensive Zajac. 

To me getting ROR is very much a win now type move and I don't know if NJ is there yet. But I do think NJ will be there sooner than later. I just don't think the time is now for that type of move.

 

Just out of curiosity, would a trade for Hamilton from CGY also be a win now type move for you? IS the deciding factor the age? With the right off-season, I don't think NJ is that far away from being justified in having a win now strategy. I agree though, Tavares is the better option. Just fun to speculate since I like ROR's game and think on a better team he would excel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the rumblings of Hoffman being traded, it got me wondering:

Lets say Shero knows that there's 0 chance at JT or Carlson. Would you take on the Bobby Ryan contract and Mike Hoffman in exchange for 17 overall? Would that be enough to get the deal done?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

With the rumblings of Hoffman being traded, it got me wondering:

Lets say Shero knows that there's 0 chance at JT or Carlson. Would you take on the Bobby Ryan contract and Mike Hoffman in exchange for 17 overall? Would that be enough to get the deal done?

I love Hoffman and think Ryan can still bring something as a 3rd liner, but if we're moving #17 I'd feel way more comfortable moving it for a high-end defenseman. I'd rather wait and see what happens with OEL and see if you can't swing a trade for him with #17 as one of the pieces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not Devils related, but an interesting piece of information nonetheless:

 

 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

He can play for us if he wants. Just sayin'. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the rumblings of Hoffman being traded, it got me wondering:
Lets say Shero knows that there's 0 chance at JT or Carlson. Would you take on the Bobby Ryan contract and Mike Hoffman in exchange for 17 overall? Would that be enough to get the deal done?

Not a chance. I wouldn’t take that AIDS contract for Karlsson, let alone Hoffman.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


Not a chance. I wouldn’t take that AIDS contract for Karlsson, let alone Hoffman.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d take Ryan if it allowed us to get Karlsson at a significant discount.  

Youd basically have to give us Hoffman for free if Ryan was part of that deal.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not Devils related, but an interesting piece of information nonetheless:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmm..mmm...mmm.  Nothing like some drama from Toronto to keep the offseason interesting.

It'll be interesting to see how long they keep Babcock around if Matthews isn't on board.

36 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

With the rumblings of Hoffman being traded, it got me wondering:

Lets say Shero knows that there's 0 chance at JT or Carlson. Would you take on the Bobby Ryan contract and Mike Hoffman in exchange for 17 overall? Would that be enough to get the deal done?

I would, Hoffman is that good.  

Haven't done much research as to who's expected to be available at 17 but.. safe to say it'd take the player at least a few years to crack the roster.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not a chance. I wouldn’t take that AIDS contract for Karlsson, let alone Hoffman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno.  Contract sucks, no doubt, but if ownership is willing to buy him out..what's the difference.  A little bit extra on the cap over the next few years won't kill us.

This is assuming, of course, that we don't add one or both of JT and JC.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno.  Contract sucks, no doubt, but if ownership is willing to buy him out..what's the difference.  A little bit extra on the cap over the next few years won't kill us.
This is assuming, of course, that we don't add one or both of JT and JC.

Have you seen the Ryan contract? Too much money and term for a buyout. That contract might be the worst in all of sports, let alone the NHL. DO. NOT. WANT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d take Ryan if it allowed us to get Karlsson at a significant discount.  
Youd basically have to give us Hoffman for free if Ryan was part of that deal.

That discount would have to be more than significant. I’m talking a clearance-level, 75% off, ‘we’re closing our doors’ discount.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


Have you seen the Ryan contract? Too much money and term for a buyout. That contract might be the worst in all of sports, let alone the NHL. DO. NOT. WANT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's brutal, but not necessarily a deal breaker.  The guy is still an NHL player, and probably will be for one or two more years.  By the time you just don't have any use for him, it's easier to buy him out if you have to.  Also while you can't plan for it, there's a decent chance that he ends up on LTIR sooner rather than later, as you keep hearing that his hands are completely shot at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


Have you seen the Ryan contract? Too much money and term for a buyout. That contract might be the worst in all of sports, let alone the NHL. DO. NOT. WANT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not even the worst in hockey (Parises is probably close). And you must not watch baseball (cough Chris Davis cough). 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not Devils related, but an interesting piece of information nonetheless:

 

 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Kind of curious how things don't go very well between a coach and a player on future plans...

Coach: We should win more next season....

Player: Nahh, not about that winning sh!t. Just pay me.

Other dude: ??????

Anyone have some ideas? lol

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Kind of curious how things don't go very well between a coach and a player on future plans...

Coach: We should win more next season....

Player: Nahh, not about that winning sh!t. Just pay me.

Other dude: ??????

Anyone have some ideas? lol

I was sort of wondering the same thing.  It seems like some of that should be pretty cut and dry.  Hard to not find middle ground there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the worst contract in hockey has to go to Brent Seabrook, woof. Ryan's is bad, but there are other that are a bit worse.

I do think Ryan can still contribute to a degree in your top 9, but a lot has been made of us having to be weary of the impending Hall and Nico contracts, so I would be cautious taking a contract like Ryan's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I think the worst contract in hockey has to go to Brent Seabrook, woof. Ryan's is bad, but there are other that are a bit worse.

I do think Ryan can still contribute to a degree in your top 9, but a lot has been made of us having to be weary of the impending Hall and Nico contracts, so I would be cautious taking a contract like Ryan's.

Undoubtedly someone will have to crunch the numbers to see if you can take Ryan's contract, give Karlsson a big extension (which is the only reason you make the trade) and make sure you can comfortably fit in Hall and Nico.  I think you probably could though especially considering that I can't imagine that Ottawa doesn't take Severson in a Karlsson deal, which removes about $4.5 million for the next five years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Just out of curiosity, would a trade for Hamilton from CGY also be a win now type move for you? IS the deciding factor the age? With the right off-season, I don't think NJ is that far away from being justified in having a win now strategy. I agree though, Tavares is the better option. Just fun to speculate since I like ROR's game and think on a better team he would excel.

Not in the same way as ROR, no. Age isn't really the deciding factor (I don't think JT is too old, for example) as much as his trend in production coupled with his age + I wonder how well he'll age given his style of game. 

Getting Hamilton would be a win now and in the future move, same as ROR when Buffalo acquired him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:
Ian Pulz Retweeted

Patrik Eliáš has been named assistant coach of the Czech U20 national team. Marek Židlický will have the same role on U18 team.

I Think Zidlikcy still lives in NJ and coaches a u16 or u18 midget team with the NJ Avalanche program. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Who really cares what this deserter does, after all!  After all the organization did for him....

Looking back at that contract 100 million over 15 years would be very manageable in todays NHL. I was still very happy he retired and got that contract off the cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.