LittleBallofHate

2018 Offseason Thread

I want to move there

Place sounds like a hell hole, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm around 5'2" so I guess I'm screwed.

If you're actually 5'-2" I'd be worried for your safety in Texas. I felt like I might get stepped on multiple times and I'm a half-foot taller than you. 

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Texas?    no state income tax, it's a red state............hardly a hell hole

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's so confusing to me. What about Houston / Austin sounds like a hell hole? The high income/debt ratio? The incredible affordability of real-estate? The lack of income tax? 

I'm considering Austin as my next move. One of my good friends moved there recently. She works behind the counter at a hotel. No college education. She just bought a house for a hair under $100k and it's nicer than my parents 850k home on the jersey shore. 

Edited by Kinkyisth3b3st

That's so confusing to me. What about Houston / Austin sounds like a hell hole? The high wage/debt ratio? The incredible affordability of real-estate? The lack of income tax? 

I'm considering Austin as my next move. One of my good friends moved there recently. She works behind the counter at a hotel. No college education. She just bought a house for a hair under $100k and it's nicer than my parents 850k home on the jersey shore. 

Texas. Not Austin or Houston specifically. I’m talking the state as a whole.

Texas?    no state income tax, it's a red state............hardly a hell hole

No state income tax is good. Everything else is not.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Texas. Not Austin or Houston specifically. I’m talking the state as a whole.

No state income tax is good. Everything else is not.

Do you have any reasons? Or are you just weirdly opposed to the entire state for some reason. A booming local economy and wildly affordable real-estate is "not good"? 

• Like 1

Austin is rapidly becoming less and less affordable, so act fast on buying real estate there.  The city is the fastest growing in the US but they are still behind on housing.  Living in or near downtown is no longer an affordable option like it was 10 years ago, but living in suburbs like Round Rock, Bastrop, etc are still pretty affordable.

As others have said, Texas is a very attractive state to move to.  I find people to generally being nicer to each other than in the NJ/NY area, the economy is not only robust but booming with jobs aplenty, they have the cheapest gas in the US (it was $2.75/gal when I was there last week for a conference), have no state income tax, and a very well kept up infrastructure.  Literally the only 2 things keeping me from moving there is that I would be away from my family and the damn heat.

Do you have any reasons? Or are you just weirdly opposed to the entire state for some reason. A booming local economy and wildly affordable real-estate is "not good"? 

I have plenty of reasons, but most of them are political in nature, so I’m not discussing them here. Like I said, to each their own.

Went to visit my wife's aunt and uncle who live outside Dallas in Plano (which is where Blake Coleman and Noessen are from).  Went to the Texas state fair, which was pretty awesome.  Fried peanut butter and jelly and banana (I did not want the fried butter or fried pickle).  My wife's uncle is armed to the teeth, so if there's ever a zombie apocalypse I know where I want to be. 

And things are ridiculously cheap all over the country compared to the NY metro area or California.  We had a giant meal for four (no booze) at a really popular BBQ place, and the bill was something like $45.  You could buy a McMansion in Friscoe (which is where a bunch of the Cowboys live) for what a smallish house in the Essex county suburbs cost. 

Went to visit my wife's aunt and uncle who live outside Dallas in Plano (which is where Blake Coleman and Noessen are from).  Went to the Texas state fair, which was pretty awesome.  Fried peanut butter and jelly and banana (I did not want the fried butter or fried pickle).  My wife's uncle is armed to the teeth, so if there's ever a zombie apocalypse I know where I want to be. 
And things are ridiculously cheap all over the country compared to the NY metro area or California.  We had a giant meal for four (no booze) at a really popular BBQ place, and the bill was something like $45.  You could buy a McMansion in Friscoe (which is where a bunch of the Cowboys live) for what a smallish house in the Essex county suburbs cost. 

Not gonna lie, that fried food sounds amazing lol.

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not gonna lie, that fried food sounds amazing lol.

If you ever go south and get Mexican food or BBQ, be prepared to pretty much have it completely ruined. The places in the north I've tried don't even come close. Tampa had a couple nice places for Mexican, but Austin was definitely the best. My friend said Houston is actually known for better food than Austin too FWIW.

Thread got off topic, thanks OEL lol.

• Like 1

If you ever go south and get Mexican food or BBQ, be prepared to pretty much have it completely ruined. The places in the north I've tried don't even come close. Tampa had a couple nice places for Mexican, but Austin was definitely the best. My friend said Houston is actually known for better food than Austin too FWIW.

Yeah you can’t get good Mexican food up here. Obviously the closer you are to the border, the better you’ll get. Best Mexican food I ever had was in San Diego- authentic, real deal Mexican. Nothing I’ve had since comes close.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Is that the "Everything's bigger in Texas" thing, including the people?  I'm 5'8" so I'm used to being among the shorter people in any given room, but I can't say I've ever been to a city or place that was exclusively people of a certain height lol.

They are genetically altered so they are taller than their lady friend’s high hair. 

• Like 2

Ha, and the one disappointing meal I had when I was in Dallas was at a Tex-Mex place.

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not very good at this stuff. Is the reason he has to wait until July 1 that they cannot give him the 8th year until he's a "free agent"?

Ekman-Larsson isn't a free agent until July 1, 2019. If contract negotiations for an extension can begin in the fnial year of a player's contract, then he'll have to wait until July 1, 2018 to re-sign, whether he gets that 8th year or not.

Ekman-Larsson isn't a free agent until July 1, 2019. If contract negotiations for an extension can begin in the fnial year of a player's contract, then he'll have to wait until July 1, 2018 to re-sign, whether he gets that 8th year or not.

Ah that’s right. I think that’s why we can’t sign Hall until July 1, 2019.

13 minutes ago, nessus said:

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ah that’s right. I think that’s why we can’t sign Hall until July 1, 2019.

Got it. 

57 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My brother said the same thing when he had BBQ in Austin last November.  He said after that he can't even halfway enjoy any BBQ made here in the tri-state area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If you ever go south and get Mexican food or BBQ, be prepared to pretty much have it completely ruined.

Never had BBQ in the south, but I have been to Southern California and the Mexican food in the chain restaurants there absolutely blew away everything I have had locally. 

43 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

My brother said the same thing when he had BBQ in Austin last November.  He said after that he can't even halfway enjoy any BBQ made here in the tri-state area.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Never had BBQ in the south, but I have been to Southern California and the Mexican food in the chain restaurants there absolutely blew away everything I have had locally. 

The only thing locally that even comes close for BBQ is Red White and Que which used to have some locations around Union, Randolph, and Wayne. The owner just sold all but 1 of his locations though and the only one left is in Kearny. 

Back to hockey, I guess no one is trading for Mike Hoffman now unless it comes at a steep discount. Pretty messed up story.  Even if Hoffman dumps this woman, you know the story isn't going away.  What a nutjob.

Back to hockey, I guess no one is trading for Mike Hoffman now unless it comes at a steep discount. Pretty messed up story.  Even if Hoffman dumps this woman, you know the story isn't going away.  What a nutjob.

Dude.... What. The. fvck. [emoji47]

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dude.... What. The. fvck. emoji47.png

Seriously.  That's bizarre.  And quite terrible.  She sounds like an awful person...why would Hoffman be with her?  And I can only imagine what that must've been like in the locker room and on the ice.  It's amazing that neither one of them was traded mid-way through the season.  

• Like 1

Seriously.  That's bizarre.  And quite terrible.  She sounds like an awful person...why would Hoffman be with her?  And I can only imagine what that must've been like in the locker room and on the ice.  It's amazing that neither one of them was traded mid-way through the season.  

It doesn’t speak well to Hoffman’s character (understatement of the year) if he knew what was going on and continued to date this ++++. I’d want nothing to do with him.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Ottawa was definitely trying to trade Hoffman this past season.  I wonder if this was the main reason for it, and if other GMs knew something wasn't quite right.

According to the article and Ottawa fans at HF Boards, he's been with her for something like ten years, going back to around the time when he was drafted.