2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

30 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Awkward. Looks disinterested in his gf, generally a bit of a tool with everyone  Or am I seeing things wrong? Maybe he's just bored because hockey is too easy?

He's always had that kind of low key personality. I don't think he is an a$$hole off the ice or anything like that, but I'm obviously an outsider.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

He's always had that kind of low key personality. I don't think he is an a$$hole off the ice or anything like that, but I'm obviously an outsider.

Wait what? You mean you don't personally know McDavid. Damn dude, get out of the house or something once in awhile will ya ?! 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Wait what? You mean you don't personally know McDavid. Damn dude, get out of the house or something once in awhile will ya ?! 

I guess what I meant was that I haven't come across him in person or know anyone who has, for instance, asked him for an autograph and he told them to piss off.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone else said, totally unfairly, but nevertheless that Bergevin saw Subban’s personality as a problem, but this guy is okey dokey.

I recently learned by the way that Canada does not allow convicted felons from the US to even enter the country except for really exceptional circumstances, not even for athletes.  For example, Canada  refused entry to a client of the firm I work for who wanted to attend the funeral of a relative because he had a tax evasion or fraud conviction.  So if Voynov doesn’t get this expungement or whatever he’s looking for, his career in North America is done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

truth be told I completely forgot about Moore.

Hope we don't get sucked into a bidding war, though I'm thinking if we let him get to this point we probably weren't interested in what he was looking for.

I'm one of the few here that doesn't hate Moore, but at this juncture NJ can prob let him walk. Good luck to him.

Edited by NJDevils1214

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm one of the few here that doesn't hate Moore, but at this juncture NJ can prob let him walk. Good luck to him.

I don’t hate him either, quite the opposite actually, but man him and Severson were a brutal pairing down the stretch last season. I won’t be too upset either way on this one. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Montreal is a clown show, but we all knew that at this point. You can't trade away PK Subban for "character issues" and turn around and look to sign a guy who's being prosecuted for domestic abuse, the hypocrisy of that organization is disgusting.

Wonder if it has to do with one of them being an eccentric black man and the other one not, just wondering.

• Like 4

Now that the RFA qualify period is over; anyone know of any RFA's that didn't get offers that might be worth a look? I think that is an avenue Shero should explore along with a 1-3 year overpay to a UFA vet. Low risk, but fill some holes and brings in some people for camp competition. 

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Montreal is a clown show, but we all knew that at this point. You can't trade away PK Subban for "character issues" and turn around and look to sign a guy who's being prosecuted for domestic abuse, the hypocrisy of that organization is disgusting.

Wonder if it has to do with one of them being an eccentric black man and the other one not, just wondering.

This is exactly it. The whole crusade against Subban in Montreal, in the French-speaking media, had a very racial undertone. The hypocrisy like you said is just over the top. The same summer they dealt Subban away for attitude problems they were getting Zach Kassian who is a well-known guy when it comes to attitude and character issues (He ended up not playing a single game for the club after crashing his car into a light pole while drunk driving after a late night party and if I remember correctly, there was serious questions about if the girl with him in the car was a prostitute or not).

This team, the media around it and its fans are a grade-A freak circus.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SS-SS said:

This is exactly it. The whole crusade against Subban in Montreal, in the French-speaking media, had a very racial undertone. The hypocrisy like you said is just over the top. The same summer they dealt Subban away for attitude problems they were getting Zach Kassian who is a well-known guy when it comes to attitude and character issues (He ended up not playing a single game for the club after crashing his car into a light pole while drunk driving after a late night party and if I remember correctly, there was serious questions about if the girl with him in the car was a prostitute or not).

At this point, I think the Montreal media is made up of equal opportunity a$$holes.  It's not just Subban, but it ran Galchenyuk out of town and is doing it's best to run Pacioertty out of town and is apparently ginning up rumors about the man's wife.

• Like 2

Just looking at some unqualified RFAS: What about Dylan DeMelo? 25 year old Right hand D who has played 133 games over the last 3 seasons for the Sharks and put up 20 points last year. Seems like a perfect type of guy to look at. Don't know more about him other than that. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

At this point, I think the Montreal media is made up of equal opportunity a$$holes.  It's not just Subban, but it ran Galchenyuk out of town and is doing it's best to run Pacioertty out of town and is apparently ginning up rumors about the man's wife.

Oh Pacioretty is already gone. They already had a deal done with LA, but it fell through bc of his agent, he fired him and has a new one. He made it clear to the team that he's not resigning and that he wants to leave instead of playing the final year on his contract. Unless they really can't find any deal (they will), he's leaving. 

Galchenyuk, Subban and Paciorrety are just the current ones. This team went through so many players with this exact M.O. throughout the years I lost count a long time ago. Next is Bergevin and maybe Julien. If Price wasn't tied down to a jumbo jet of a contract I'd say he would've also been leaving this summer or next, but who knows, he might leave after all. I don't even get why he signed for this team if he intends on winning anything. 

• Like 1

Oh Pacioretty is already gone. They already had a deal done with LA, but it fell through bc of his agent, he fired him and has a new one. He made it clear to the team that he's not resigning and that he wants to leave instead of playing the final year on his contract. Unless they really can't find any deal (they will), he's leaving.  Galchenyuk, Subban and Paciorrety are just the current ones. This team went through so many players with this exact M.O. throughout the years I lost count a long time ago. Next is Bergevin and maybe Julien. If Price wasn't tied down to a jumbo jet of a contract I'd say he would've also been leaving this summer or next, but who knows, he might leave after all. I don't even get why he signed for this team if he intends on winning anything. 

It seems to me that if you aren’t French, the media does everything they can to make your life a living hell. I don’t see why anyone would ever wanna play in such a toxic environment. They’ve probably already started in on the poor bastard they drafted the other night.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Few more unqualified names that have peaked my interest: 

Emile Poirer: 23 Left Wing; Former #22 overall in 2013 who put up great AHL numbers in 2014 but then has been battling an alcohol addiction. Seems like we might have a guy in the booth who could be a mentor for that. 

Riley Shehan: 26 year old center: Good faceoff/PK guy on the Pens last year.  has been scoring 11 goals a year over 365 NHL games. Upgrade over Gibbons and steal him from Pitt.  

Nick Shore: 25 year old Center with 236 NHL games to his name. 

Jordan Subban; Still only 23 and a RHD; Some solid AHL numbers to start, but seems to has fallen off. 

1 hour ago, SS-SS said:

I absolutely disagree with this completely. Anything against PK Subban that I've seen wasn't race related. It's all about his actions and about his humongous ego/need for attention that was causing friction with almost everyone except the fans that obviously wasn't dealing with him on a daily basis. Insane amount of videos, comments, reports are all pointing in the same direction. Except a lot of people just can't accept it and are willing to stick their head in the sand about it and pretend it's the crazy medias in MTL or a race thing. (that being said the medias in MTL are indeed crazy, but they liked Subban a LOT tho, if anything they were protecting him more than hurting him)

Obviously there's always a few legit racists that will make comments, that's sadly inevitable but PK's problems had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. Put his 2 brothers in MTL and i can assure you there wouldn't be any problems with them.

Edited by SterioDesign

57 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They even boo'ed Price last season and started rumours about his wife and that she wanted a divorce. They are absolutely the worst fans in the league and they blame it on "we're just so passionate! hockey is a religion for us"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

They even boo'ed Price last season and started rumours about his wife and that she wanted a divorce. They are absolutely the worst fans in the league and they blame it on "we're just so passionate! hockey is a religion for us"

They are not the worst fans in the league, but you're under a huge microscope there and you just don't have the anonymity that some of these guys enjoy in American cities.

I never understood the PK hate, guy seems like a great dude, donates tons of money and does a ton of charity work in the community. Is passionate and wants to win on the ice and is a great player. Sure he has some moments on the ice where he has thrown a tantrum here and there but the same can be said for almost every single amazing player out there. He wears a bunch of fancy suits and outfits.... Who gives a sh!t? Hell if I had money to burn and somewhere to go all the time in ridiculous outfits I'd probably do the same thing lol Burns on San Jose does the same stuff and I don't hear as much hate about him. I even remember reading an article about Burns going to Disneyland dressed up like a pirate lol

I don't pay enough attention to know what his teammates say but the guy seems to be really loved in Nashville by the fans.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

They are not the worst fans in the league, but you're under a huge microscope there and you just don't have the anonymity that some of these guys enjoy in American cities.

that's also the excuse people go to. 

Then please '7' name me one fanbase who started a HUGE huge riot because one of their player was suspended unfairly "for being french". When what really happened is that he baseball swing style hit a player with his stick and knocked a ref out cold with a punch. That's quite deserving of a suspension but that's not how they tell the story lol

Who also burned the city when they won the cup.

A place where the city had to release a general broadcast to the citizens to STOP calling the authorities to call an arrest on Chara for a hockey play that turned ugly. Cause it was plugging in the police's lines for real emergencies.

Post photoshopped pictures of rival players with their head chopped off and bloodied.

Fans who would have a rally in front of their arena to call out the league for not taking action for a headshot to one of their players but then would find excuses when one of their player did the same weeks later. (Quebec have rallies for just about anything though, it's just part of their culture to walk in circles and whine about stuff)

Fans who signed petitions to get their head coach replaced cause he couldn't speak french.

And i'm not even getting into the booing of players and that kind of sh!t cause to be fair we see that sh!t in many cities.

But yeah... find me another NHL fanbase with a similar resume and we'll talk. I'm thinking Philly is 2nd with all the crap they pulled over the year but it's still not close to MTL

Edited by SterioDesign