LittleBallofHate

2018 Offseason Thread

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Did Jesper Bratt die? 

No Zacha there either. Bratt was very good at the start, but declined considerably. Personally, not sold on him as yet to make us a true cup contender.

35 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

Mojo - ??? - ???

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

Wood - ??? - ???

For D:

??? - Vatanen

Butcher - ???

Mueller - Santini

Severson

To be a true contender, I feel these are the gaps that need to be filled or near it. A true top 6 center and right wing (RH). The fourth line shouldn't be much of a headache.

Top 10 UFAs  Center: John Tavares, Paul Stastny, Tyler Bozak, Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Joe Thornton, Valtteri Filppula, Kyle Brodziak, Brian Gibbons, Tomas Plekanec

Top 10 RFAs Center: William Karlsson, Dylan Larkin, J.T. Miller, Vladislav Namestnikov, Tomas Hertl, Kevin Hayes, Elias Lindholm, Ryan Spooner, Chris Tierney, Brock Nelson

Top 10 UFAs RW (RH): Martin Frk, Alex Chiasson, Chris Stewart, Tommy Wingels, Drew Stafford, Jannik Hansen, Joel Ward, Ryan Reaves, Lee Stempniak, Jimmy Hayes

Top 10 RFAs RW (RH): Mark Stone, William Nylander, Sam Reinhart, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Ondrej Kase, Bryan Rust, Tom Wilson, Ryan Hartman, Joel Armia, Stefan Noesen

On D, you pretty much have De Haan and Hickey (from Isles).

Drew Stafford is a top 10 RW free agent??? That is sad. 

If I had to take a center and a RW from those lists, would have to be Frk ( because what the frk?) and assuming no Tavares, I wouldn’t mind Stastny or Bozak. 

I know it’s next to impossible to sign an RFA anyway, but if it could be done, Dylan Larkin is one I’d consider. And maybe Bjorkstrand, my favorite name in hockey. 

1 minute ago, Anhkheg said:

No Zacha there either. Bratt was very good at the start, but declined considerably. Personally, not sold on him as yet to make us a true cup contender.

Jesper Bratt (the 19 year old, just so we can establish we’re talking about the same kid) had never played more than 48 games in a season in his career (based on the length of seasons, not injury).

After ~50 NHL games (again, as a 19 year old who’s previous most professional league was for AIK of the Swedish J18 Elit league) his game started to fall off. 

If you’re not “sold” on 19-year-old Jesper Bratt, you’re not looking very hard. 

I’d argue the Zacha point too but I’m not sure we see eye to eye on this roster.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Drew Stafford is a top 10 RW free agent??? That is sad. 

If I had to take a center and a RW from those lists, would have to be Frk ( because what the frk?) and assuming no Tavares, I wouldn’t mind Stastny or Bozak. 

I know it’s next to impossible to sign an RFA anyway, but if it could be done, Dylan Larkin is one I’d consider. And maybe Bjorkstrand, my favorite name in hockey. 

We don’t have the draft capital for an RFA signing of that caliber, nor would I ever want to give 3 first round picks for anyone not named McDavid. Sign-and-trades are more likely for RFA’s, though still unlikely.

10 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

We don’t have the draft capital for an RFA signing of that caliber, nor would I ever want to give 3 first round picks for anyone not named McDavid. Sign-and-trades are more likely for RFA’s, though still unlikely.

I know. But there was a list so I chose from it.

I'm fine with standing mostly pat.  Not that I think this team is set, by any means, but they just need more time to evaluate everyone.  Is Bratt for real?  What about Butcher, can he handle a bigger role?  Can Zacha take a step forward?  How will McLeod and Anderson do in their first pro seasons? Can the Devils get 82 games out of Damon Severson without scratching him?  Are Coleman and Noesen potentially top 9 NHL forwards?  I just don't think the Devils are in a good position to trade anyone right now.  Next season will tell a lot about what they have and who might be on the way out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Did Jesper Bratt die? Is Damon Severson somehow a 7th defenseman now? Are 0 rookies going to make the team after 4 did, successfully last year? 

This is a frustrating post. You think a YOUNG team with the reigning Hart winner and 1st overall pick who just made the playoffs needs SIX free agent additions to be a contender? 

You have unrealistic expectations.

20 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Jesper Bratt (the 19 year old, just so we can establish we’re talking about the same kid) had never played more than 48 games in a season in his career (based on the length of seasons, not injury).

After ~50 NHL games (again, as a 19 year old who’s previous most professional league was for AIK of the Swedish J18 Elit league) his game started to fall off. 

If you’re not “sold” on 19-year-old Jesper Bratt, you’re not looking very hard. 

I’d argue the Zacha point too but I’m not sure we see eye to eye on this roster.

Your responses are far more frustrating, we may have a made the playoffs, but we are far from being a contender, very, very far.

Six free agents?? with TWO of them being FOURTH liners. Where did I mention free agents, I was careful to mention gaps. You make it sound like its a big deal. You feel Zacha and Bratt are legitimate top 6, while I don't completely count them out, as of today, they do NOT make us a contender. Hope they prove me wrong this year.

We need two top 4 Dmen, I would even go as far as arguing 3. You think Andy Greene, Ben Lovejoy, John Moore, Severson and Mueller make us a contender? The jury is still out on Severson and Mueller, but Andy Greene is slow and has made some serious mental mistakes in front of the net.

You are welcome to present your opinion by providing some concrete arguments. Work on your ability to carry a respectful conversation instead of simply attacking someone's opinion.

Edited by Anhkheg

My intention wasn’t to attack your opinion. I was disagreeing with your post on an online message board. I apologize if that came off rude. 

You list the best available free agents; that’s where I made the leap. I’m not sure Zacha is top-6 forward but I do feel like he’s ready to contribute at a higher level. I don’t think you can look at Jesper Bratt’s first ever professional season and not consider him a top-6 winger unless you’re spectacularly pessimistic.

You think we need two top-6 forwards and two top-4 defenseman to become a contender; and I strongly disagree with that. I also think that those are dramatically unrealistic expectations. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I'm fine with standing mostly pat.  Not that I think this team is set, by any means, but they just need more time to evaluate everyone.  Is Bratt for real?  What about Butcher, can he handle a bigger role?  Can Zacha take a step forward?  How will McLeod and Anderson do in their first pro seasons? Can the Devils get 82 games out of Damon Severson without scratching him?  Are Coleman and Noesen potentially top 9 NHL forwards?  I just don't think the Devils are in a good position to trade anyone right now.  Next season will tell a lot about what they have and who might be on the way out.

Do you have a strong opposition to overpaying for a shorter term deal with a guy like JVR? Something like 2/14? Would he ever take a deal like that?

19 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Might as well add in can Cory stay healthy all year, and play at an elite level. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Might as well add in can Cory stay healthy all year, and play at an elite level. 

I think the clear answer to this is no, or at least the Devils should be operating under the assumption that it's no, but yeah, they need a year to evaluate that too.  Can Kinkaid be a starter?  We'll probably get that answered next season as well.

I don't think Hall repeats last season's performance.  Let's see what the Devils are without him playing at that level.

i don't think Hall will repeat last season either but if we can get to point where Hischier and Hall both hit 80+ points that'd be amazing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

My intention wasn’t to attack your opinion. I was disagreeing with your post on an online message board. I apologize if that came off rude. 

You list the best available free agents; that’s where I made the leap. I’m not sure Zacha is top-6 forward but I do feel like he’s ready to contribute at a higher level. I don’t think you can look at Jesper Bratt’s first ever professional season and not consider him a top-6 winger unless you’re spectacularly pessimistic.

You think we need two top-6 forwards and two top-4 defenseman to become a contender; and I strongly disagree with that. I also think that those are dramatically unrealistic expectations. 

I am not talking about getting 4 Victor Hedmans or 4 Brent Burns. May be one or both of De Haan and/or Hickey may very well do it or they may be total busts and I put up the same ??? on D next year.

I am sure Shero will make some kind of move, although I agree he has to evaluate a lot. I am pretty certain that Coleman and Noesen are perfect 3rd-4th liners for us going forward. They're fast and aggressive but can also put the puck in the net. Bratt with time will get more consistent. I'm also not too worried about Cory.

The X factor is Zacha imo. We all know he has the talent, but he has to step it up big time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah but there's a good in between where you actually win something so the cap trouble was worth it. Being in good position with the cap and not winning sh!t is not any better lol

Rather spend the 8 million some way else.

Edited by fsu1852

40 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I am sure Shero will make some kind of move, although I agree he has to evaluate a lot. I am pretty certain that Coleman and Noesen are perfect 3rd-4th liners for us going forward. They're fast and aggressive but can also put the puck in the net. Bratt with time will get more consistent. I'm also not too worried about Cory.

The X factor is Zacha imo. We all know he has the talent, but he has to step it up big time. 

Just a guy with an opinion, but I have zero faith in Zacha ever developing into more than a 3rd line plug.

Still very young, I know a couple of you guys are going to jump on me for saying this.  But I wouldn't count on him for anything when planning out the roster this season (and for the future) if I was Shero.

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just a guy with an opinion, but I have zero faith in Zacha ever developing into more than a 3rd line plug.

Still very young, I know a couple of you guys are going to jump on me for saying this.  But I wouldn't count on him for anything when planning out the roster this season (and for the future) if I was Shero.

Eh, I don't think he'll ever be the huge scorer we hoped for since at a certain point it's no longer just being snake bitten but we did see a lot of progress in his game season last season from beginning to end.  It's not like he's stagnated yet.  This season will tell us more but I'm still hopeful he'll be a productive player for the Devils.  I mean, it's only been about 30 regular season games since he realized he could use his size effectively out there.   I know everyone else drafted right around him is already way more productive but I seem to remember that Zacha was a guy that everyone knew needed a little more development time even back when we picked him.            

Zacha sucks. Too slow, not aggressive. Having Mojo will make a difference this year if he can stay healthy. Hopefully he’s got the Hall sickness, watching the capitals win the cup without him similar to the Oilers making the playoffs without Hall. Small chip on the shoulder can’t hurt.

Mojo will without a doubt improve the PP2 unit. They should continue to run it through him at the half boards. He gave Stafford a couple of quality chances from the slot against Tampa. 

• Like 2

Other than TH9, where is our team leadership coming from?  This team has many young and developing players; strong on-ice leadership is crucial.

Do you have a strong opposition to overpaying for a shorter term deal with a guy like JVR? Something like 2/14? Would he ever take a deal like that?

JVR is gonna have his choice of four and five year offers. He isn’t taking two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Other than TH9, where is our team leadership coming from?  This team has many young and developing players; strong on-ice leadership is crucial.

Hopefully by the time Zajac and Greene are on their way out Nico is ready for an A on his chest. 

if the one and only move Shero made this summer was to strip Greene from the C and slap it on Hall's chest. I actually think i'd be happy with that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

if the one and only move Shero made this summer was to strip Greene from the C and slap it on Hall's chest. I actually think i'd be happy with that

YES! New Era. Plz do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

As it won't lead to one more win, I hope Ray's got a little more up his sleeve than that one.

• Like 1