2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

Personally I'd permanently ban anyone found guilty of something criminal from all major sports. These people get paid millions and are put on pedestals as it is so they should be held to a higher standard. For the average smucks like us out there if we were found guilty the vast majority of us wouldn't be able to even find a good job let alone one that pays millions. I wish all sports and other forms of entertainment for that matter would crack down even harder on all this stuff. Job wise people are easily replaceable so if you fvck up someone else will be more than willing to take your spot. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

If that happened now he might not have ever played a game in the NHL, there would definitely be more outrage about it. 

People forgot mighty quickly Mario Lemieux cheerleading his buddy Billy back to the NHL. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Varlamorv

Wasn't convicted though...

"On 22 November 2013, Varlamov was charged with misdemeanour assault of his girlfriend.The misdemeanor charge against Varlamov was dropped by a Denver judge on 20 December 2013, after prosecutors said they could not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt."

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Wasn't convicted though...

"On 22 November 2013, Varlamov was charged with misdemeanour assault of his girlfriend.The misdemeanor charge against Varlamov was dropped by a Denver judge on 20 December 2013, after prosecutors said they could not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt."

yeah but its one of those things that can't always fully be proven. The justice system can be fvcked at times

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah but its one of those things that can't always fully be proven. The justice system can be fvcked at times

Absolutely agree and I wouldn't ban people who were found not guilty, that becomes too much of a slippery slope. If you're found guilty though you should be banned immediately. 

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely agree and I wouldn't ban people who were found not guilty, that becomes too much of a slippery slope. If you're found guilty though you should be banned immediately. 

yeah i fully agree with that. 

I'm actually very very very very annoyed with the rising PC culture and social justice warriors lately seeking blood putting insane pressure on businesses to make people PAY eventhough there's no proofs or anything yet.

Chris Hardwick was the latest, he might be guilty in the end i dont know but he lost everything already without proofs and it's pissing me off. The me too movement brought some very good thing but some very bad things too. A simple accusation can now ruin someone's life completely and a lot of people doesnt even care if its true or not, as long as there's important people paying the price to set a message or get back to society or wtv... it's disgusting. 

i mean there will always be bad people slipping through the cracks and it's unfortunate but i'd take that over having good people being ruined by something they didnt do just to pass a message

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I believe that an electrician who beat up his wife still has a right to earn a living when he’s done his time.  So hard for me to see it differently with Voynov.

Nobody puts electricians on pedestals or has little kids looking up to them. Professional sports should be held to a higher standard, especially because I don't want my hard earned money going to a bunch of sh!t bags. Just like how if I knew that electrician was guilty of beating up his wife I'd find myself a new electrician. 

If you or me get arrested and convicted of beating up someone or for something else entirely there are tons of jobs out there that will absolutely not even look at your resume let alone hire us. Professional sports should be the same way. That's just my take on it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i fully agree with that. 

I'm actually very very very very annoyed with the rising PC culture and social justice warriors lately seeking blood putting insane pressure on businesses to make people PAY eventhough there's no proofs or anything yet.

Chris Hardwick was the latest, he might be guilty in the end i dont know but he lost everything already without proofs and it's pissing me off. The me too movement brought some very good thing but some very bad things too. A simple accusation can now ruin someone's life completely and a lot of people doesnt even care if its true or not, as long as there's important people paying the price to set a message or get back to society or wtv... it's disgusting. 

i mean there will always be bad people slipping through the cracks and it's unfortunate but i'd take that over having good people being ruined by something they didnt do just to pass a message

Yeah we are starting to get way off the original topic but I'm indifferent about Chris Hardwick but that kind of stuff is so much more of a murky situation because legally he didn't do anything wrong from what I read but if that stuff is true then morally he's an a$$hole. Makes it even more of a murky situation when his current wife and his ex-gf who he dated for a few years and was engaged to at one point both are defending him. Way too much of a he said / she said situation.

We label people guilty by social media trial though nowadays. Hoffman is one of the latest people. His gf and himself have both been labeled complete pieces of sh!t even though there's no actual proof out there yet that she did and he knew about it. They may very well be but I can wait for actual proof first before I condemn them. 

It's a strange world we live in. 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah we are starting to get way off the original topic but I'm indifferent about Chris Hardwick but that kind of stuff is so much more of a murky situation because legally he didn't do anything wrong from what I read but if that stuff is true then morally he's an a$$hole. Makes it even more of a murky situation when his current wife and his ex-gf who he dated for a few years and was engaged to at one point both are defending him. Way too much of a he said / she said situation.

We label people guilty by social media trial though nowadays. Hoffman is one of the latest people. His gf and himself have both been labeled complete pieces of sh!t even though there's no actual proof out there yet that she did and he knew about it. They may very well be but I can wait for actual proof first before I condemn them. 

It's a strange world we live in. 

Well it's florida who will benefit from that if he wasn't guilty and can find his game back

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nobody puts electricians on pedestals or has little kids looking up to them. Professional sports should be held to a higher standard, especially because I don't want my hard earned money going to a bunch of sh!t bags. Just like how if I knew that electrician was guilty of beating up his wife I'd find myself a new electrician. 

If you or me get arrested and convicted of beating up someone or for something else entirely there are tons of jobs out there that will absolutely not even look at your resume let alone hire us. Professional sports should be the same way. That's just my take on it. 

That's a reasonable way to look at it, although if the difference between someone's son beating up or not beating up his wife was someone who played for his favorite sports team, I think you'd have to look for a different cause.  But yes, I do see your point that you don't want to root for a team that's made up of wife beaters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bettman might be getting into the Hall:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Bettman gets a lot of sh!t, but in the end, he's the one responsible for there being a league that's more or less financially healthy league that can consist of 31 and soon 32 teams that all have the ability to compete.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's a reasonable way to look at it, although if the difference between someone's son beating up or not beating up his wife was someone who played for his favorite sports team, I think you'd have to look for a different cause.  But yes, I do see your point that you don't want to root for a team that's made up of wife beaters.

Yeah it really depends on the situation, mainly if you're convicted of something I really don't want you on my team, especially when I'm a season ticket holder and my money is going towards supporting you. Nothing pisses me off more than athletes or entertainers getting DUIs in this day and age. You got tons of money and a damn phone with an Uber or Lyft app. Use the damn thing. 

I'm also not saying every player has to do a sh!t ton of a charity work and kiss all the fans asses. I don't care if they have a$$hole personalities. Just don't get arrested and convicted. I don't think that's too much to ask for lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah it really depends on the situation, mainly if you're convicted of something I really don't want you on my team, especially when I'm a season ticket holder and my money is going towards supporting you. Nothing pisses me off more than athletes or entertainers getting DUIs in this day and age. You got tons of money and a damn phone with an Uber or Lyft app. Use the damn thing. 

As long as society has a hierarchy, which has been and will be forever, there will be those who get away with doing things others wouldn't. I can understand being upset since this guy being in a position of privilege as an athlete and he is essentially not having to sacrifice to pay for his crime in the same way the average person would. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Personally I'd permanently ban anyone found guilty of something criminal from all major sports. These people get paid millions and are put on pedestals as it is so they should be held to a higher standard. For the average smucks like us out there if we were found guilty the vast majority of us wouldn't be able to even find a good job let alone one that pays millions. I wish all sports and other forms of entertainment for that matter would crack down even harder on all this stuff. Job wise people are easily replaceable so if you fvck up someone else will be more than willing to take your spot. 

Eh, I see where you're coming from but I think there needs to be room for forgiveness in sports too. These guys are human. When it comes to violent crime, I'd be a bit more strict of course. In general, I think when it comes to serious violent crime, players should only be allowed back in the league if they are absolved by the court. That said,  domestic violence cases have proved to be tricky because sometimes the degree of "violence" that took place is not obviously discernible. We often don't know what degree of force was used from the words "punch," "kick," and "choke." It could mean the physicality, while still dangerous, was controlled and heavily restrained, or it could mean the man used all his strength. Obviously in any case it's morally repugnant, cowardly, and not acceptable but to me, one should not necessarily ruin a career if the requisite atonement and improvements are made. With Ray Rice the decision is easy because we have video in which he literally throws a punch that could have killed the woman. He should never play in the NFL again. I don't know enough about the Voynov case to comment but this is my general position.

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Eh, I see where you're coming from but I think there needs to be room for forgiveness in sports too. These guys are human. When it comes to violent crime, I'd be a bit more strict of course. In general, I think when it comes to serious violent crime, players should only be allowed back in the league if they are absolved by the court. That said,  domestic violence cases have proved to be tricky because sometimes the degree of "violence" that took place is not obviously discernible. We often don't know what degree of force was used from the words "punch," "kick," and "choke." It could mean the physicality, while still dangerous, was controlled and heavily restrained, or it could mean the man used all his strength. Obviously in any case it's morally repugnant, cowardly, and not acceptable but to me, one should not necessarily ruin a career if the requisite atonement and improvements are made. With Ray Rice the decision is easy because we have video in which he literally throws a punch that could have killed the woman. He should never play in the NFL again. I don't know enough about the Voynov case to comment but this is my general position.

Voynov was a pretty cut and dry case of guy beating the ever living sh!t out of his wife.  The fact that he could pay for good legal representation, was an athlete and so far as I know was a first time offender and still served significant jail time is a clear indication that it wasn't a case of a shove that was too firm or something like that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah I mean I wouldn't put tax evasion in the same category as domestic violence or DUIs. The Ray Rice one like you said was even easier cause they had video. The Voynov one is pretty open and shut for me because he never even pleaded not guilty and took the plea deal so I definitely believe there's a lot of truth to what she said. He doesn't belong in the NHL... 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-slava-voynov-20180612-story.html

"Voynov’s wife, Marta Varlamova, told police in October 2014 that her husband punched her left jaw outside of a Halloween party. The dispute continued at the couple’s Redondo Beach home, according to the police report, where Voynov choked her with both hands three times, repeatedly pushed her to the ground, kicked her five to six times on the ground and eventually shoved her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on a wall.

“My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,” Varlamova told police in a recorded interview. “And it’s not the first time.”

Attorneys for Voynov and Varlamova repeatedly described it as an accident.

The police report said Voynov told Varlamova “there would be no more money” and “he wanted a divorce” during the altercation. The couple had been married for two months."

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Voynov was a pretty cut and dry case of guy beating the ever living sh!t out of his wife.  The fact that he could pay for good legal representation, was an athlete and so far as I know was a first time offender and still served significant jail time is a clear indication that it wasn't a case of a shove that was too firm or something like that.

Then unfortunately, with no video evidence and the gf herself corroborating Voynov's contention that he didn't mean to hurt her, the court may have to absolve him. Then it's a little more tricky for the league. They probably have to let him back in, even if we're PRETTY sure he beat the sh!t out of her.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

Then unfortunately, with no video evidence and the gf herself corroborating Voynov's contention that he didn't mean to hurt her, the court may have to absolve him. Then it's a little more tricky for the league. They probably have to let him back in, even if we're PRETTY sure he beat the sh!t out of her.

He was already convicted and served his time.  So as far as the law is concerned, he did it.  The fact that his wife is apparently recanting or offering support for his application to have the conviction expunged ordinarily would not require the judge to do anything, unless there's something in California law that requires a judge to do so if, for example, the defendant needs it to find gainful employment.

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah I mean I wouldn't put tax evasion in the same category as domestic violence or DUIs. The Ray Rice one like you said was even easier cause they had video. The Voynov one is pretty open and shut for me because he never even pleaded not guilty and took the plea deal so I definitely believe there's a lot of truth to what she said. He doesn't belong in the NHL... 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-slava-voynov-20180612-story.html

"Voynov’s wife, Marta Varlamova, told police in October 2014 that her husband punched her left jaw outside of a Halloween party. The dispute continued at the couple’s Redondo Beach home, according to the police report, where Voynov choked her with both hands three times, repeatedly pushed her to the ground, kicked her five to six times on the ground and eventually shoved her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on a wall.

“My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,” Varlamova told police in a recorded interview. “And it’s not the first time.”

Attorneys for Voynov and Varlamova repeatedly described it as an accident.

The police report said Voynov told Varlamova “there would be no more money” and “he wanted a divorce” during the altercation. The couple had been married for two months."

In RE: what I said above, it makes it tricky that she sent a letter to the prosecutor that contradicted some of her earlier claims. Obviously, she just doesn't want to ruin him but still...the court has to abide by the letter of the law. Maybe the one thing that will make the no contest plea stick is that there was evidence of prior instances of domestic violence. At least that's what quick research tells me.