Jump to content

2018 Offseason Thread


LittleBallofHate

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well he did miss a good chunk of last year with a broken leg or ankle that at first was rumoured to be career-threatening, but i guess it wasnt that bad after all

He's missed a total of nine regular season games in six seasons with the Wild...5 came in one season, and the other four came last year.  He did miss the playoffs last season, but he's been remarkably healthy overall for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 @mikemorrealeNHL 

Some clarification on @NJDevils prospect Fabian Zetterlund. He will join the team for the Buffalo Prospects Challenge early in Sept but will not attend the team's reg. training camp. Instead, he'll join his team in Farjestad (SHL)

@NJDevils defense prospect Ty Smith also confirmed for me that he will be playing for NJ at the Buffalo Prospects Challenge in Sept.

ETA:  SWE coach Tomas Monten on @NJDevils prspct Fabian Zetterlund: "I definitely see him on right wing. He played center before, but using his speed and I think he provides a better offensive game playing on the wing. He did it last year and I think he'll do it this year."

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If Severson can turn things around, he'll be such a valuable player.

What are people expecting out of Severson and what do you think his theoretical ceiling is?   He's been pretty healthy through his career so far so he'll probably play most of the season which is great, but can he become a 10-15G / 25-30A type d-man?  He's going to turn 24 in a week but that's still pretty young so I'd say he can still get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What are people expecting out of Severson and what do you think his theoretical ceiling is?   He's been pretty healthy through his career so far so he'll probably play most of the season which is great, but can he become a 10-15G / 25-30A type d-man?  He's going to turn 24 in a week but that's still pretty young so I'd say he can still get there.

I guess the problem is that he's not going to get much powerplay time barring injuries to Vatanen and Butcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I guess the problem is that he's not going to get much powerplay time barring injuries to Vatanen and Butcher.

I was thinking the same thing.  I was looking at his stats to see if there was a TOI category/column for his PP minutes, but couldn't find one at quick glance.  I guess even without the PP time I'd still like to see him return to the type of player he was in his rookie year - we saw flashes of his ability to carry the puck and enter the zone, and even pot some goals here and there - reminded me a lot of Niedermayer and I think it's something we could use given that we still have some stay at home d-men in Greene and Lovejoy who aren't likely to do that for us. Greene used to be good at that, but he's getting older and slower so we need someone else with wheels to fill that void, and I think Severson can be that guy. Hopefully.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I was looking at his stats to see if there was a TOI category/column for his PP minutes, but couldn't find one at quick glance.  I guess even without the PP time I'd still like to see him return to the type of player he was in his rookie year - we saw flashes of his ability to carry the puck and enter the zone, and even pot some goals here and there - reminded me a lot of Niedermayer and I think it's something we could use given that we still have some stay at home d-men in Greene and Lovejoy who aren't likely to do that for us. Greene used to be good at that, but he's getting older and slower so we need someone else with wheels to fill that void, and I think Severson can be that guy. Hopefully.

Did Anton Stahlman get a lot of powerplay time when he was putting up 30+ points a year?  Maybe he's the kind of player Severson can establish himself as.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Did Anton Stahlman get a lot of powerplay time when he was putting up 30+ points a year?  Maybe he's the kind of player Severson can establish himself as.

That's true.  Strahlman did get some PP time - Hedman was the primary and I think the other was a mix between Strahlman and Sergachev.  Once McDonagh arrived I think they threw him in the mix a little too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's true.  Strahlman did get some PP time - Hedman was the primary and I think the other was a mix between Strahlman and Sergachev.  Once McDonagh arrived I think they threw him in the mix a little too.

Nice to be able to actually put a D man or two at the point rather than a FW. Bolts-embarressment of riches. 

I think Canes will have a very good D this year.(Hamilton/Slavin, Dehann, Faulk, Pesce, Vam Riemsdyck & Haydon Fleury (could push for a spot) Although been long rumored Faulk is on the block

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Nice to be able to actually put a D man or two at the point rather than a FW. Bolts-embarressment of riches. 

I think Canes will have a very good D this year.(Hamilton/Slavin, Dehann, Faulk, Pesce, Vam Riemsdyck & Haydon Fleury (could push for a spot) Although been long rumored Faulk is on the block

Indeed they definitely have some luxuries on defense that we don't.  I don't know if I'd go as far as saying they're an embarrassment of riches, because they've been pretty competitive and successful the past few seasons, but I do think their window will only be open for another 3-5 years max, and if they don't get at least one Cup in that time, their run over the past decade or so will have to be considered a disappointment.

As for the Canes, I agree I think their D is gonna be pretty damn good.  A few people, here included I think, have said that some teams that were below us last year in the standings didn't make many moves so we may not be caught or passed in the standings this year by many of them, and they included the Canes as one of those teams, but I just don't think that's true.  Like you said, they added to VERY good d-men in Hamilton and De Haan, so they're going to be pretty well improved in that area and hard to play against.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m listening to Spittin Chiclets Episode 99 from two Friday’s ago. They’re interviewing Pat Maroon and he was discussing his free agency and how shocked they were he didn’t get better offers, especially when compared to guys like Komarov and Jay Beagle getting better deals and being worse players. 

He said he fired his agent when the offers weren’t coming in, and went with a different agency during the signing period.

He also says he didn’t receive better offers nor longer ones from any team, which is obviously surprising considering Ray said he offered him more term and money to stay.

What I am wondering is maybe Ray offered the original agent the deal and it never got to the new agency, because Maroon said flat out he didn’t hear of any offers when free agency opened.

I’m 100% for him going home to be with his son, zero question about it, I’m just trying to understand if he’s flat out lying (which if doesn’t sound like, especially in a candid interview like that) or was just misrepresented by his agents or whatever

For those who are interested, the interview starts at about the 33 minute mark of the episode.

Edited by jagknife
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I’m listening to Spittin Chiclets Episode 99 from two Friday’s ago. They’re interviewing Pat Maroon and he was discussing his free agency and how shocked they were he didn’t get better offers, especially when compared to guys like Komarov and Jay Beagle getting better deals and being worse players. 

He said he fired his agent when the offers weren’t coming in, and went with a different agency during the signing period.

He also says he didn’t receive better offers nor longer ones from any team, which is obviously surprising considering Ray said he offered him more term and money to stay.

What I am wondering is maybe Ray offered the original agent the deal and it never got to the new agency, because Maroon said flat out he didn’t hear of any offers when free agency opened.

I’m 100% for him going home to be with his son, zero question about it, I’m just trying to understand if he’s flat out lying (which if doesn’t sound like, especially in a candid interview like that) or was just misrepresented by his agents or whatever

For those who are interested, the interview starts at about the 33 minute mark of the episode.

I don't think Ray offered him more years, but he did say that he offered him more money.  Yeah sounds like his offer could've somehow just got lost in the shuffle, though I don't know how something like that could happen.  Odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: that Maroon interview, and his offers not stacking up with Beagle’s or Komarov’s- I think Vancouver and the Islanders paid what they did to those guys because of two sets of very specific circumstances: Beagle won the Cup, which tends to make certain players look better than they are (and, of course, Jim Benning is stupid), and Lou is now senile.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Re: that Maroon interview, and his offers not stacking up with Beagle’s or Komarov’s- I think Vancouver and the Islanders paid what they did to those guys because of two sets of very specific circumstances: Beagle won the Cup, which tends to make certain players look better than they are (and, of course, Jim Benning is stupid), and Lou is now senile.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I don't know much about Beagle or Komarov's game at this point, but a big problem with Maroon's game is how slow he is, which isn't really where teams are going these days if you haven't noticed.  99 percent of the time, I'm more interested in how many points a forward can put up and can look past deficiencies especially if the price is right.  But Maroon is really one of those guys that if he's not putting up points, he's really not doing anything for you besides being a good locker room guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think Ray offered him more years, but he did say that he offered him more money.  Yeah sounds like his offer could've somehow just got lost in the shuffle, though I don't know how something like that could happen.  Odd.

I thought I read that Ray offered both longer term and money. Oh well, I could be wrong.

I finished the interview and you could tell how excited he was to tell his kid he was going to be a Blue. Said he told his son at 10, and the kid didn’t react, then told him again when it was official and said they both pretty much broke down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know much about Beagle or Komarov's game at this point, but a big problem with Maroon's game is how slow he is, which isn't really where teams are going these days if you haven't noticed.  99 percent of the time, I'm more interested in how many points a forward can put up and can look past deficiencies especially if the price is right.  But Maroon is really one of those guys that if he's not putting up points, he's really not doing anything for you besides being a good locker room guy. 

That’s not entirely true- Maroon’s work on the boards was very solid, almost Zubrus-like. There’s added value in that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:


That’s not entirely true- Maroon’s work on the boards was very solid, almost Zubrus-like. There’s added value in that.
 

I'm with you here for sure I would take Patrick on my team every day of the week and twice on sunday
 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.