2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

3 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

@ArizonaCoyotes    It's official and it's only fitting. On Feb. 24th Shane Doan will become the first Coyotes player to have his jersey retired. Congrats Captain!

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-to-retire-doans-no-19-jersey-on-feb-24/c-299648482

Yeah, kind of a no-brainer on that one.

One of those guys whose "quick glance" career numbers don't impress and scream "compiler", but his overall numbers were hurt by his first four seasons.  He didn't really find his stride until his fifth year in the NHL, and starting with that fifth season, he played in 1066 games over the next 14 seasons (missing only 48 total), and put up 332 goals and 468 assists for 800 points...basically about 26 goals and 36 assists per 82 GP...not really mind-blowing, but he was very consistent, and those numbers aren't bad for the Dead Puck Era.  Two seasons after that sample, at the age of 39, he even had a 28-goal season.  Something to be said for playing in 1540 regular season games, and not spending too many of them in heavy decline.  I respect players like that, even if they didn't quite wow anyone. 

Elias is obviously a better player and a borderline Hall Of Famer (if Doan ever got in, then the standards for the HHoF have really dropped off)...over a 15-year sample of 1063 GP (basically Elias' best seasons, though the first in that sample was still a stepping-stone kind of year), Elias scored 373 goals and added 568 assists for 941 points...or 29 goals and 44 assists per 82 GP.  Their production is obviously not super close (and these are very basic numbers), but probably a little closer than some would've thought, if asked how Elias' and Doan's point totals might compare.   

@ArizonaCoyotes    It's official and it's only fitting. On Feb. 24th Shane Doan will become the first Coyotes player to have his jersey retired. Congrats Captain!
https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-to-retire-doans-no-19-jersey-on-feb-24/c-299648482

The first and last, since the franchise will be in Houston in five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, kind of a no-brainer on that one.

One of those guys whose "quick glance" career numbers don't impress and scream "compiler", but his overall numbers were hurt by his first four seasons.  He didn't really find his stride until his fifth year in the NHL, and starting with that fifth season, he played in 1066 games over the next 14 seasons (missing only 48 total), and put up 332 goals and 468 assists for 800 points...basically about 26 goals and 36 assists per 82 GP...not really mind-blowing, but he was very consistent, and those numbers aren't bad for the Dead Puck Era.  Two seasons after that sample, at the age of 39, he even had a 28-goal season.  Something to be said for playing in 1540 regular season games, and not spending too many of them in heavy decline.  I respect players like that, even if they didn't quite wow anyone. 

Biggest thing about all of that, at least to me, was that his time was spent with a pretty subpar organization in terms of competitiveness.  

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Biggest thing about all of that, at least to me, was that his time was spent with a pretty subpar organization in terms of competitiveness.  

Sure, easy to wonder what he might've done with a better team.  Think he played in 55 playoff games total for his career...insane when you consider how long he played for.

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The first and last, since the franchise will be in Houston in five years.

From what I gather, they'll stay in Arizona if they can get the new arena they want.  That seems to be what the league is most interested in when it comes to sticking with a particular market.  And I think their attendance will have  nice bump this year as I think they're finally set to break out.  Too much talent not too.

My belief is that number retirements should be reserved for exceptional players that played their best years and a good bulk of their career for your team or if they're not at that level you get one or two guys tops that have a sentimental attachment to the fans.  Whatever the case, the retirement has to come pretty much immediately after they're done with the sport.

From what I gather, they'll stay in Arizona if they can get the new arena they want.  That seems to be what the league is most interested in when it comes to sticking with a particular market.  And I think their attendance will have  nice bump this year as I think they're finally set to break out.  Too much talent not too. My belief is that number retirements should be reserved for exceptional players that played their best years and a good bulk of their career for your team or if they're not at that level you get one or two guys tops that have a sentimental attachment to the fans.  Whatever the case, the retirement has to come pretty much immediately after they're done with the sport.

Of course they’ll stay in Arizona if they get the arena they want. And if I win the lottery, I’ll be buying property in Alpine. Thing is, neither is gonna happen. I’m sure Doan’s jersey will look great hanging next to Hakeem Olajuwon’s.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course they’ll stay in Arizona if they get the arena they want. And if I win the lottery, I’ll be buying property in Alpine. Thing is, neither is gonna happen. I’m sure Doan’s jersey will look great hanging next to Hakeem Olajuwon’s.

Bettman has fought tooth and nail to keep them there.  I have no idea how things are progressing with the arena, but as long as it's a possibility they'll be there.

Bettman has fought tooth and nail to keep them there.  I have no idea how things are progressing with the arena, but as long as it's a possibility they'll be there.

Bettman has fought tooth and nail to keep them from moving to a smaller market. Houston is a bigger market than Phoenix, and it creates a natural rivalry with Dallas. They’ve been trying like hell to grift people for a new arena out there for five years with no success. They aren’t long for Arizona unless a miracle happens.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

For those interested, Rico is coming back to NJ for a signing: 907a1424a912e7f53bf9381569d8b102.png

Is this autograph on a $25 gift certificate to the Olive Garden or something?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most guys, uh, you know, sign autographs...for free?  I love Henrique as much as the next guy, but I've never paid for an autograph before, much less 25 bucks for someone who isn't one of the top 50 players in the league. 

Is this autograph on a $25 gift certificate to the Olive Garden or something?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most guys, uh, you know, sign autographs...for free?  I love Henrique as much as the next guy, but I've never paid for an autograph before, much less 25 bucks for someone who isn't one of the top 50 players in the league. 

Plenty of Devils have done signings there, and they have never been free.

I think these are what he’ll be signing: baee94432cce1913cf3bcf62f3d1e5de.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Plenty of Devils have done signings there, and they have never been free.

Where is 'there' - Sports Minded Unlimited?  I don't live in the area so I have no idea what that is, I figured it was just the name of the company sponsoring or putting out this advertisement.  I'm surprised others have also charged as well, especially if it was just more or less for fun.  I could understand if it was for a charity or something, then that makes sense.  Not saying the athletes shouldn't get paid necessarily for their signatures since in all likelihood a lot of these may end up being sold, but I feel like there's also lots of opportunities to get these same player's autographs for free.  

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think these are what he’ll be signing: baee94432cce1913cf3bcf62f3d1e5de.png

Gotcha.  That's pretty cool, but I still wouldn't pay 25 bucks for it.  Granted it's been quite a while since I got, or even really cared and went out of my way to get a particular autograph, but I suppose I feel this way because one of the last hockey autographs I got, which incidentally happened to be on a puck as well, was back in 2008 right after Stamkos was drafted - the Lightning held a meet and greet type event, free and open to the public, and they gave out pucks with his picture on it.  There was a bunch of people there and I can't recall exactly how long I had to stand in line, but me and hundreds of others got to meet him for a second, shake his hand, and get his autograph on said puck.  I suppose that could be why I'm surprised to see $25 for an Adam Henrique puck, compared to $0 for a Steven Stamkos puck.  Either that, or maybe 10 years later and I'm just an old grouch lol.

I'm sorry, anyone who thinks that athletes make personal appearances and they don't charge for autographs hasn't been paying attention. I used to go to baseball card shows in the 80's and they'd do that. I still have a dual signed picture of "the play" signed by Mookie and Bill Buckner hanging on my office wall. How is this even a question?

Different story if the team is doing it, as is the case in NJDFan's Lightning example above. But that's not what this is. 

I'm not going to go there and get a Henrique autograph, but those pucks are pretty badass. 

• Like 2

I go to a lot of conventions (HorrorHound, Comic-Cons, etc) and celebrities always charge for autographs/pics as well. And I don’t really blame them. As long as it’s reasonable I’m ok with it. Think the most I’ve ever paid for one was $40. 

2 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

@NHLCanes

The #Canes have acquired Cliff Pu, Buffalo’s second-round selection in the 2019 NHL Draft and Buffalo’s third-round and sixth-round selections in the 2020 NHL Draft in exchange for Jeff Skinner.

No clue who Pu is but man that’s not a bad deal for Buffalo