2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

5 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

@FriedgeHNIC   Quick business note: Hart Trophy NHL MVP Taylor Hall switched agencies, now represented by @DHGHOCKEY.

Hope Shero gets that extension done as soon as he can (next summer) ;). And no doubt he will!

Edited by Devs3cups

53 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Carolina gets literally nothing but unknown for a 20-30 goal scorer. Good deal for buffalo. Carolina needs scoring and solid depth. Maybe this was addition by subtraction??

It was literally something.  Pu is probably a Quenneville level prospect and a the draft picks are pretty good.  Maybe Carolina could have played it better and gotten a little more, but you are correct that they just saw him as kind of a loser and wanted to be done with him.  I can live with Ray not giving up a similar package for him.

Edited by Daniel
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I go to a lot of conventions (HorrorHound, Comic-Cons, etc) and celebrities always charge for autographs/pics as well. And I don’t really blame them. As long as it’s reasonable I’m ok with it. Think the most I’ve ever paid for one was $40. 

Oh lord $40 is realllly cheap haha i go to those conventions all the time and it's always anywhere between $50 and $110 usually but some bigger names or guys that doesnt do conventions often are getting a lot more. I paid fvcking $200 for Mark Hamill and the same for Michael J. Fox. But those 2 are my absolute heroes and they are the 2 most expensive i've seen so far. And that's for one authograph... if you want a pic it's basically the same price.

I don't blame them tho... there's HUUUUUGE lineups for them even charging that much so why wouldnt they charge more?  

Edited by SterioDesign

If my memory serves me correct, and trying to think back 23 freaking years is iffy, I think I spent a combined $100 on a pair of Marty autographs at a signing after the first Cup. I know I got a hat and a picture signed, I think for 40/60 each, Marty was hung-the-fvck-over, and I remember it being kinda hot but 10 year old me couldn’t have cared two sh!ts, I was meeting my hero. And his signature was crystal clear, not some of the rushed ones you see.

57 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If my memory serves me correct, and trying to think back 23 freaking years is iffy, I think I spent a combined $100 on a pair of Marty autographs at a signing after the first Cup. I know I got a hat and a picture signed, I think for 40/60 each, Marty was hung-the-fvck-over, and I remember it being kinda hot but 10 year old me couldn’t have cared two sh!ts, I was meeting my hero. And his signature was crystal clear, not some of the rushed ones you see.

I have a similar story, though i don't remember what I paid. I had him sign the Stanley Cup Champions commemorative puck. I got a good picture of him, got the signature, and got to shake his hand. I was like 4th in line out of maybe a thousand people that showed up. 

It definitely needs a new case, other than that, it’s still pristine and it’s part of my memorabilia shelf in my office. 

29953555638_130565ba38_b.jpg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Where is 'there' - Sports Minded Unlimited?  I don't live in the area so I have no idea what that is, I figured it was just the name of the company sponsoring or putting out this advertisement.  I'm surprised others have also charged as well, especially if it was just more or less for fun.  I could understand if it was for a charity or something, then that makes sense.  Not saying the athletes shouldn't get paid necessarily for their signatures since in all likelihood a lot of these may end up being sold, but I feel like there's also lots of opportunities to get these same player's autographs for free.  

Gotcha.  That's pretty cool, but I still wouldn't pay 25 bucks for it.  Granted it's been quite a while since I got, or even really cared and went out of my way to get a particular autograph, but I suppose I feel this way because one of the last hockey autographs I got, which incidentally happened to be on a puck as well, was back in 2008 right after Stamkos was drafted - the Lightning held a meet and greet type event, free and open to the public, and they gave out pucks with his picture on it.  There was a bunch of people there and I can't recall exactly how long I had to stand in line, but me and hundreds of others got to meet him for a second, shake his hand, and get his autograph on said puck.  I suppose that could be why I'm surprised to see $25 for an Adam Henrique puck, compared to $0 for a Steven Stamkos puck.  Either that, or maybe 10 years later and I'm just an old grouch lol.

You must really live under a rock.  Most, if not all, athletes do paid signings.  Just because you chase them in the parking lot and get their autograph doesn't mean that's how all autographs should work.  When players are doing those "free" public signings or meet and greets, it is because someone is paying for it.  Either it is at a team event where it is part of his contract or if some other outside entity is paying for it.

Sports minded is a sports store.  They do tons of Devils signings.  However they have to pay the athlete to be there.  That's why it is $25 per autograph and it is on anything you like.  Those pucks are only available to those who want those to get signed.

Why people pay for signatures? Well not everyone can go to those meet and greets which are typically only available to STH's.  Also, not everyone has the time to chase players on the streets to get their autographs.  Finally, many players have very different autographs where paid autographs look nice as the player takes time to sign it while parking lot signatures look like complete cr@p.

And if you think $25 is bad, then I don't know what to tell you.  Hall is doing a signing that is $89 a ticket.  That's because he is contracted through a company (Frameworth).  Elias last week was $35, and Brodeur if often in the $80-130 range.  Oh and before you bitch about those prices, other sports have it worse.  Joe Namath typically costs $150 a pop, Jeter and A-Rod often start at $200 and Tom Brady typically starts around $600.  That's per autograph.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You must really live under a rock.  Most, if not all, athletes do paid signings.  Just because you chase them in the parking lot and get their autograph doesn't mean that's how all autographs should work.  When players are doing those "free" public signings or meet and greets, it is because someone is paying for it.  Either it is at a team event where it is part of his contract or if some other outside entity is paying for it.

Sports minded is a sports store.  They do tons of Devils signings.  However they have to pay the athlete to be there.  That's why it is $25 per autograph and it is on anything you like.  Those pucks are only available to those who want those to get signed.

Why people pay for signatures? Well not everyone can go to those meet and greets which are typically only available to STH's.  Also, not everyone has the time to chase players on the streets to get their autographs.  Finally, many players have very different autographs where paid autographs look nice as the player takes time to sign it while parking lot signatures look like complete cr@p.

And if you think $25 is bad, then I don't know what to tell you.  Hall is doing a signing that is $89 a ticket.  That's because he is contracted through a company (Frameworth).  Elias last week was $35, and Brodeur if often in the $80-130 range.  Oh and before you bitch about those prices, other sports have it worse.  Joe Namath typically costs $150 a pop, Jeter and A-Rod often start at $200 and Tom Brady typically starts around $600.  That's per autograph.

Holy sh!t dude, you having a bad day or what?  No reason to take that so personal lol.  

First of all, not once did I say I've never heard of people charging for autographs.  I know it exists, I just was surprised more or less by the caliber of player than anything else.  Again, nothing against Henrique, but he's not a Stamkos, he's not a Joe Namath to use your example, or an A-Rod to use your other example, or....to use yet another one of your examples, a Tom fvcking Brady. :lol: Did you really just try to make that comparison?  Wow.  

Second, I already mentioned this, but I have never heard of Sports Minded before today.  Has nothing to do with living under a rock, but rather living in Florida.  You do realize there are people on this forum that don't live in the NY-metro area, right? :blink:

Third, I have never once chased an athlete down in the parking lot for an autograph.  20 years ago when I would attend a bunch of games each season I would frequently wait outside (along with a few dozen other people) after the game and simply get anyone that was willing to sign.  The home team would always do it, and the visiting team would do it every now and then as well.  They'd sign anything - jerseys, cards, books, programs, etc, and all for free.  I recognize the difference between this and a paid or sponsored event, however the initial tweet merely said Henrique returning and had the Sports Minded name on it, so not sure how I would have known whether he was doing this on his own volition, or someone else was footing the bill.  Your comment about not everyone having time to go to the events to get an autograph makes no sense whatsoever - if anything it proved my point for me.  It's not all that hard to get an autograph after a game (like I used to), since you're already there.  Anyone that goes to this event for Henrique is taking time out of their day and making a special trip to attend, which is the opposite of what you said lol.

Lastly, not sure why you think I am "bitching" about prices - all I did was say that I thought 25 bucks was a bit steep, especially for someone like Henrique.  Hardly what I would call bitching, but to each his own.  If you think I was bitching, then what exactly do you call what you wrote? lol.  I give ya credit though, that's a hell of an unsolicited rant.

My suggestion, it's Friday, go have a beer and relax man.  I think you need it.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy sh!t dude, you having a bad day or what?  No reason to take that so personal lol.  

First of all, not once did I say I've never heard of people charging for autographs.  I know it exists, I just was surprised more or less by the caliber of player than anything else.  Again, nothing against Henrique, but he's not a Stamkos, he's not a Joe Namath to use your example, or an A-Rod to use your other example, or....to use yet another one of your examples, a Tom fvcking Brady. :lol: Did you really just try to make that comparison?  Wow.  

Second, I already mentioned this, but I have never heard of Sports Minded before today.  Has nothing to do with living under a rock, but rather living in Florida.  You do realize there are people on this forum that don't live in the NY-metro area, right? :blink:

Third, I have never once chased an athlete down in the parking lot for an autograph.  20 years ago when I would attend a bunch of games each season I would frequently wait outside (along with a few dozen other people) after the game and simply get anyone that was willing to sign.  The home team would always do it, and the visiting team would do it every now and then as well.  They'd sign anything - jerseys, cards, books, programs, etc, and all for free.  I recognize the difference between this and a paid or sponsored event, however the initial tweet merely said Henrique returning and had the Sports Minded name on it, so not sure how I would have known whether he was doing this on his own volition, or someone else was footing the bill.  Your comment about not everyone having time to go to the events to get an autograph makes no sense whatsoever - if anything it proved my point for me.  It's not all that hard to get an autograph after a game (like I used to), since you're already there.  Anyone that goes to this event for Henrique is taking time out of their day and making a special trip to attend, which is the opposite of what you said lol.

Lastly, not sure why you think I am "bitching" about prices - all I did was say that I thought 25 bucks was a bit steep, especially for someone like Henrique.  Hardly what I would call bitching, but to each his own.  If you think I was bitching, then what exactly do you call what you wrote? lol.  I give ya credit though, that's a hell of an unsolicited rant.

My suggestion, it's Friday, go have a beer and relax man.  I think you need it.

Yes, players of that "caliber" have signings all the time.  You think stars are the only ones who do paid autograph signings?

I wasn't referencing you now knowing what Sports minded is as living under a rock.  I also didn't say people had no time to go to events, just no one has time to wait outside the arena hours before and after a game in the freezing cold (you know, we are in NJ) for a crappy parking lot autograph.  You have a major issue with reading comprehension which is not the first time from you on this board.

Also, the Devils put a fence around the visitor's entrance at the arena to prevent people from bothering visiting players and they tightly control the Devils entrance where the only way you get autographs after the game is from players stopping while sitting in their car.  But I know you will explain this away by saying you are in Florida, but do an ounce of asking around instead of assuming that these players are somehow screwing over fans by charging for autographs.

$25 is not steep at all.  Miles Wood was $20.  Elias was $35.  Schneider was either $30 or $35.  Hall is $89.  Jagr was $100.  You are saying my comparisons are terrible yet you are comparing Stamkos you got at a team even that was free to the public versus a paid autograph session.  Holy crap is that comparing apples to oranges.

Again, maybe do a little research and before talking out of your ass which is a frequent thing you do here.  Much like your dumb comment about the Islanders coach hiring.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I think he was doing what you asked. 

Yeah, I guess he took that and ran with it lol.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yes, players of that "caliber" have signings all the time.  You think stars are the only ones who do paid autograph signings?

I wasn't referencing you now knowing what Sports minded is as living under a rock.  I also didn't say people had no time to go to events, just no one has time to wait outside the arena hours before and after a game in the freezing cold (you know, we are in NJ) for a crappy parking lot autograph.  You have a major issue with reading comprehension which is not the first time from you on this board.

Also, the Devils put a fence around the visitor's entrance at the arena to prevent people from bothering visiting players and they tightly control the Devils entrance where the only way you get autographs after the game is from players stopping while sitting in their car.  But I know you will explain this away by saying you are in Florida, but do an ounce of asking around instead of assuming that these players are somehow screwing over fans by charging for autographs.

$25 is not steep at all.  Miles Wood was $20.  Elias was $35.  Schneider was either $30 or $35.  Hall is $89.  Jagr was $100.  You are saying my comparisons are terrible yet you are comparing Stamkos you got at a team even that was free to the public versus a paid autograph session.  Holy crap is that comparing apples to oranges.

Again, maybe do a little research and before talking out of your ass which is a frequent thing you do here.  Much like your dumb comment about the Islanders coach hiring.

Brother, you really have some angst, don't you?  I never said stars were the only ones who did paid signings, so I'm not sure why you brought that up (maybe to highlight your own reading comprehension issues?)

How the fvck would I know the Devils put a fence around the parking lot?  If you, the reading comprehension guru, actually paid attention to what people write, you'd know I said I live in Florida.  BUT, let's forget that for a second, because by no means said, insinuated, or implied that the Devils were "screwing the fans" and not signing autographs after the game.  Are you bored today?  Because you're really creating your own argument here and making things up that I never said.

And again, if you want to pay $25 for a Henrique autograph on a puck, by all means go for it.  All I said was that I thought it was a bit steep.  Am I not allowed to have that opinion?  I guess I am, but it looks like it has to come with a retaliation and completely unprovoked delusional attack by you.  

And to touch on the last piece of bile that you spewed out from your keyboard Re: my "dumb Islanders comment", are you referring to the fact that it was my opinion that Tavares would have a new contract before they hired a head coach, and I made a friendly bet with mfitz about it?  A bet in which I owned up to, and subsequently donated to this site?  Yeah, that's real dumb.

Seriously man, go have a beer, or four. Please.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Here's a high-caliber player doing a signing where it's $23 USD for regular (photos, pucks) and $39 USD for premium (jerseys, equipment, etc).  Yup Henrique is way overpaid.

https://ajsportsworld.com/blogs/events/brandon-montour

Dude, I believe you.  All I did was ask a question. Never said players didn't charge for them, I just wasn't sure how common it was. Why did you turn this into a tirade?

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I guess he took that and ran with it lol.

Brother, you really have some angst, don't you?  I never said stars were the only ones who did paid signings, so I'm not sure why you brought that up (maybe to highlight your own reading comprehension issues?)

How the fvck would I know the Devils put a fence around the parking lot?  If you, the reading comprehension guru, actually paid attention to what people write, you'd know I said I live in Florida.  BUT, let's forget that for a second, because by no means said, insinuated, or implied that the Devils were "screwing the fans" and not signing autographs after the game.  Are you bored today?  Because you're really creating your own argument here and making things up that I never said.

And again, if you want to pay $25 for a Henrique autograph on a puck, by all means go for it.  All I said was that I thought it was a bit steep.  Am I not allowed to have that opinion?  I guess I am, but it looks like it has to come with a retaliation and completely unprovoked delusional attack by you.  

And to touch on the last piece of bile that you spewed out from your keyboard Re: my "dumb Islanders comment", are you referring to the fact that it was my opinion that Tavares would have a new contract before they hired a head coach, and I made a friendly bet with mfitz about it?  A bet in which I owned up to, and subsequently donated to this site?  Yeah, that's real dumb.

Seriously man, go have a beer, or four. Please.

Holy sh!t you don't even see what you wrote.

Yes you did imply stars were the only ones who did paid signings. Your words: " First of all, not once did I say I've never heard of people charging for autographs.  I know it exists, I just was surprised more or less by the caliber of player than anything else."

I know you live in Florida.  You mention it all the fvcking time on here.  Maybe instead of tossing out assumptions just take some time check things out a little bit.

You are allowed to have that opinion it is steep, but with this statement you are heavily implying that people who do are suckers:

"I'm surprised others have also charged as well, especially if it was just more or less for fun.  I could understand if it was for a charity or something, then that makes sense.  Not saying the athletes shouldn't get paid necessarily for their signatures since in all likelihood a lot of these may end up being sold, but I feel like there's also lots of opportunities to get these same player's autographs for free. "

This is far and away not the first time you ran your mouth about something you have little to no clue about.  I know for a fact I am not the only one who thinks this way on here.

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Dude, I believe you.  All I did was ask a question. Never said players didn't charge for them, I just wasn't sure how common it was. Why did you turn this into a tirade?

It's very common.  Do you get out of the house much?

Edit: And I am done with this.

Edited by DevsMan84

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Holy sh!t you don't even see what you wrote.

Yes you did imply stars were the only ones who did paid signings. Your words: " First of all, not once did I say I've never heard of people charging for autographs.  I know it exists, I just was surprised more or less by the caliber of player than anything else."

I know you live in Florida.  You mention it all the fvcking time on here.  Maybe instead of tossing out assumptions just take some time check things out a little bit.

You are allowed to have that opinion it is steep, but with this statement you are heavily implying that people who do are suckers:

"I'm surprised others have also charged as well, especially if it was just more or less for fun.  I could understand if it was for a charity or something, then that makes sense.  Not saying the athletes shouldn't get paid necessarily for their signatures since in all likelihood a lot of these may end up being sold, but I feel like there's also lots of opportunities to get these same player's autographs for free. "

This is far and away not the first time you ran your mouth about something you have little to no clue about.  I know for a fact I am not the only one who thinks this way on here.

It's very common.  Do you get out of the house much?

Geeze, you really have a problem jumping to conclusions, and incorrect ones at that.  

I have no idea why you think I am "making assumptions", and you want me to "take time to check things out a little bit" - I mentioned I live in FL for this very reason so that you'd know I am not privy to the inner workings of what goes on in the Northeast corridor of the country.  It's obvious the Devils and the Bolts handle these things a little different - hence my initial question and why I asked if players typically sign for free.  But feel free to jump on my case for not knowing how things work in a geographic area that is thousands of miles away from me, especially when I specifically tell you that.  :thumbsup:

In regards to the implication that people who pay for autographs are suckers, again, you're jumping to conclusions. Let me quote what I wrote again in case you missed or, or thought I said something else: "I feel like there's also lots of opportunities to get these player's autographs for free".  Didn't say anyone was a sucker.  Didn't say anyone who pays for an autograph is a moron.  I just...don't know where you're getting that from.

I would really love for you to explain how or where I've "run my mouth" about something I know nothing about if I seem to do it so often, especially since if I don't know something I'm the first to admit - I don't profess to be a know it all, nor do I desire to be one, but you've actually already destroyed everyone's brains enough today so it's probably best we just end this here.  If you go to the Henrique event and get an autograph, I hope you have a great time, and I think it will look nice if you display it in your home somewhere.  Have a great afternoon. 

23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

And to touch on the last piece of bile that you spewed out from your keyboard Re: my "dumb Islanders comment", are you referring to the fact that it was my opinion that Tavares would have a new contract before they hired a head coach, and I made a friendly bet with mfitz about it?  A bet in which I owned up to, and subsequently donated to this site?  

In fairness, I knew the bet was dumb when we made it. ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Geeze, you really have a problem jumping to conclusions, and incorrect ones at that.  

I have no idea why you think I am "making assumptions", and you want me to "take time to check things out a little bit" - I mentioned I live in FL for this very reason so that you'd know I am not privy to the inner workings of what goes on in the Northeast corridor of the country.  It's obvious the Devils and the Bolts handle these things a little different - hence my initial question and why I asked if players typically sign for free.  But feel free to jump on my case for not knowing how things work in a geographic area that is thousands of miles away from me, especially when I specifically tell you that.  :thumbsup:

In regards to the implication that people who pay for autographs are suckers, again, you're jumping to conclusions. Let me quote what I wrote again in case you missed or, or thought I said something else: "I feel like there's also lots of opportunities to get these player's autographs for free".  Didn't say anyone was a sucker.  Didn't say anyone who pays for an autograph is a moron.  I just...don't know where you're getting that from.

I would really love for you to explain how or where I've "run my mouth" about something I know nothing about if I seem to do it so often, especially since if I don't know something I'm the first to admit - I don't profess to be a know it all, nor do I desire to be one, but you've actually already destroyed everyone's brains enough today so it's probably best we just end this here.  If you go to the Henrique event and get an autograph, I hope you have a great time, and I think it will look nice if you display it in your home somewhere.  Have a great afternoon. 

LMAO.

Have a nice day.