LittleBallofHate

2018 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, I knew the bet was dumb when we made it. ;) 

Lol, true that.

34 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Lol, true that.

Sorry, couldn't resist bragging/being an a$$. 

Spent about 20 years collecting autographs, started out with baseball and hockey primarily and added basketball and racing after.  Imo hockey and racing were the most accessible and friendly.  Most baseball players are arrogant pricks.  After having collected a little over a hundred baseball HOF balls I went to a show in Edison to get some old timers and Catfish Hunter.  He was the ultimate a$$hole and the last straw for me. The guy in front of me had to be in his early 80's he has a Yogi Berra game worn uniform in a metal carrier that . had about 200 Yankees autographs on it.  The thing was stretched out perfectly and ready to be signed.  He had a new sharpie and when he got up to the table he asked him to sign it in that spot. The a$$hole looked up and said can you believe this guy and drew a straight line across the front and said next!. I walked away and threw the ticket I bought on the ground.  It was I think 40 for a flat, 50 for a ball and he had a guy sitting next to him that would give you a COA for another 30. 

About 6 months after that I started selling all the baseball stuff off.

Micheal Jordan, Magic and Bird did a show in AC and they were "friendly" compared to many of the baseball guys I've seen over the years.

Never met a single hockey player that had the least bit of an attitude including Gretzky, Howe etc. (ok Lindros was a tool).

NASCAR guys even in the days when the sport was on thriving were most approachable, Earnhardt, Petty, etc.

• Like 1

Out of the four major sports I hear the most horror stories from baseball followed closely by football.  The two I constantly hear being brought up as being jerks to fans are Pete Rose and Willie Mays.

You don't really hear much about hockey players being jerks unless it happens to be a bad day.  There was once a thread a while ago on a autograph or game worn forum where the only player they consistently came up as being a jerk to fans was Mark Messier.  Basically unless you either got a $100 bill on you or a big rack he pays no attention to you.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

Messier was friendly to everyone on the day I saw him, Rose was sh!t face and fubar'd. Mays never looked up.

So, where IS Sports Minded?

It’s in Warren Township.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of the four major sports I hear the most horror stories from baseball followed closely by football.  The two I constantly hear being brought up as being jerks to fans are Pete Rose and Willie Mays.

You don't really hear much about hockey players being jerks unless it happens to be a bad day.  There was once a thread a while ago on a autograph or game worn forum where the only player they consistently came up as being a jerk to fans was Mark Messier.  Basically unless you either got a $100 bill on you or a big rack he pays no attention to you.

You know who was a MAJOR a$$hole? Stephane Richer. Only hockey player I’ve met who was just a complete d!ck. Loved him as a Devil, but dude was a fvcking jerk-off.

My gf met Pete Rose a couple years ago and he was perfectly nice to her and took a picture with her and her friend. Maybe it helps when you’re young attractive females though lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

My gf met Pete Rose a couple years ago and he was perfectly nice to her and took a picture with her and her friend. Maybe it helps when you’re young attractive females though lol

yeah he definitely favored the females.  The problem with Rose and Mickey Mantle is when they were blind drunk they're signatures were junk. To the point that I had JSA authentic everything before I sold them and they wouldn't confirm one of my Rose and Mantle signed balls. They verified a couple of other balls they had signed.

I’m reminded of a funny story. It’s like 1987 or 1988, and my friend scores tickets to a Mets season ticket holder dinner from his mom’s company. So we go and there’s an opportunity to get autographs from the players, basically the whole team was there. So we are standing in line, it’s very disorganized, etc. 

Right smack in the middle of all the players was assistant GM Joe McIlvaine. Now what 11-12 year old kid gives a sh!t about getting the Assistant GM’s signature. So, things being as chaotic as they were, we decided to skip him and didn’t think anyone would notice or care. 

And the dude actually had a nasty comment about how he was spending his time there and it was disrespectful of us! He actually got bitchy with little kids about NOT bothering him for his signature. We just ignored him and kept moving down the line. What a d!ckhead. 

• Confused 1

I’ve had nothing but awesome interactions with hockey players.

hell when i was in Buffalo, I played pond hockey with Jochen Hecht in my friends neighborhood, Jason pominville bought me a beer and had me talking with him and his friends for close to an hour the night of his call-up game as a rookie, Teppo Numinen was like an every day person when he’d come into the store i worked at, and I even taught a handful of Sabres kids when I was doing student teaching about a decade ago.

• Like 1

William Karlsson and Vegas settles before arbitration today: $5.25m

I was gonna post that $5m was going to be my guess for the arbitrator.

wonder if it’s a one year or multi year. If it’s one, and he puts up as good or better numbers next season, man he could rake in next summer

EDIT: 1 year deal

Edited by jagknife

Since it's so quiet, I figured I'd post this article - it's about MacKinnon but there's a lot of Taylor Hall mentions too:  https://thehockeywriters.com/nathan-mackinnon-money-in-the-bank-for-colorado-avalanche/

"On a cost per point value, Hall and MacKinnon are in a class of their own. MacKinnon is also cost-effective for the long haul and is a third of the cost per point of Toews."

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Since it's so quiet, I figured I'd post this article - it's about MacKinnon but there's a lot of Taylor Hall mentions too:  https://thehockeywriters.com/nathan-mackinnon-money-in-the-bank-for-colorado-avalanche/

"On a cost per point value, Hall and MacKinnon are in a class of their own. MacKinnon is also cost-effective for the long haul and is a third of the cost per point of Toews."

If theyre lucky maybe toews will show them his rings! 😃

I won't post any pics from this 'article', as you won't be able to un-see them - click at your own risk  
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/08/04/marcus-johansson-is-finally-reunited-off-the-ice-with-andre-burakovsky-and-nicklas-backstrom/

MoJo is never gonna hear the end of it from his teammates lmfao.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

MoJo is never gonna hear the end of it from his teammates lmfao.

Nor should he. Anyone else wondering if his head injury is worse than previously believed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/4/2018 at 11:10 AM, jagknife said:

William Karlsson and Vegas settles before arbitration today: $5.25m

I was gonna post that $5m was going to be my guess for the arbitrator.

wonder if it’s a one year or multi year. If it’s one, and he puts up as good or better numbers next season, man he could rake in next summer

EDIT: 1 year deal

How close is VGK to their cap?  Can they keep it going?

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, titans04 said:

Spent about 20 years collecting autographs, started out with baseball and hockey primarily and added basketball and racing after.  Imo hockey and racing were the most accessible and friendly.  Most baseball players are arrogant pricks.  After having collected a little over a hundred baseball HOF balls I went to a show in Edison to get some old timers and Catfish Hunter.  He was the ultimate a$$hole and the last straw for me. The guy in front of me had to be in his early 80's he has a Yogi Berra game worn uniform in a metal carrier that . had about 200 Yankees autographs on it.  The thing was stretched out perfectly and ready to be signed.  He had a new sharpie and when he got up to the table he asked him to sign it in that spot. The a$$hole looked up and said can you believe this guy and drew a straight line across the front and said next!. I walked away and threw the ticket I bought on the ground.  It was I think 40 for a flat, 50 for a ball and he had a guy sitting next to him that would give you a COA for another 30. 

About 6 months after that I started selling all the baseball stuff off.

Micheal Jordan, Magic and Bird did a show in AC and they were "friendly" compared to many of the baseball guys I've seen over the years.

Never met a single hockey player that had the least bit of an attitude including Gretzky, Howe etc. (ok Lindros was a tool).

NASCAR guys even in the days when the sport was on thriving were most approachable, Earnhardt, Petty, etc.

That really sucks.  I've gotten a lot of baseball autographs in the past too, most were nice, but there were definitely more jerks there compared to hockey.  

Football  has been hit or miss based on my experience.  Guys like Mike Alstott, Derrick Brooks, generally really good people.  Warren Sapp on the other hand?  Major a$$hole.  Doesn't sign for kids, and is basically all around rude.  

However, last year I went to two different Bucs training camp events (when they were on TV with Hard Knocks), and a TON of the players stayed after practice to sign autographs.  Despite the fact that he seems like an a$$hole with some of the recent things he's done, a guy like Jameis Winston actually stayed for a solid 30-45 minutes signing for probably no less than 200 people - I was quite impressed.  

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, mfitz804 said:

Sorry, couldn't resist bragging/being an a$$. 

Ha, no worries, it was well timed lol.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 11:19 PM, mfitz804 said:

I’m reminded of a funny story. It’s like 1987 or 1988, and my friend scores tickets to a Mets season ticket holder dinner from his mom’s company. So we go and there’s an opportunity to get autographs from the players, basically the whole team was there. So we are standing in line, it’s very disorganized, etc. 

Right smack in the middle of all the players was assistant GM Joe McIlvaine. Now what 11-12 year old kid gives a sh!t about getting the Assistant GM’s signature. So, things being as chaotic as they were, we decided to skip him and didn’t think anyone would notice or care. 

And the dude actually had a nasty comment about how he was spending his time there and it was disrespectful of us! He actually got bitchy with little kids about NOT bothering him for his signature. We just ignored him and kept moving down the line. What a d!ckhead. 

lol that will get him more liked by the kids.

I don't think I have had a "bad" encounter with any athlete really.  I remember John MacLean always being nice.  Elias is nice but you need to engage him.  Zubrus was always pretty good too.  Best has always been Salvador.  I have yet to meet another athlete nicer than him.

I have always gotten weird feelings from Parise when I met him.  Maybe I just always met him on a bad day.

Recently my work-group here at my job paid out of our marketing fund to get Terry Crews to speak at our conference this year.  He was awesome and very friendly/funny.

Ok, here's mine.  Back about 6 years ago, my son and several teammates were ball boys at a Princeton/Johns Hopkins Lacrosse game. I was on the sidelines, decent crowd.  Over in the corner with his GF, was Bill Belichick.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, no game going, and my son and 1 other player and I were near him so I told the boys to go over and I quietly asked for a picture of him with the boys. Not me, 12 year olds.......

He waved us away. (This would not have started a picture taking storm either, it was in a secluded spot)

Douche

Edited by Jimmy Leeds
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Ok, here's mine.  Back about 6 years ago, my son and several teammates were ball boys at a Princeton/Johns Hopkins Lacrosse game. I was on the sidelines, decent crown.  Over in the corner with his GF, was Bill Belichick.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, no game going, and my son and 1 other player and I were near him so I told the boys to go over and I quietly asked for a picture of him with the boys. Not me, 12 year olds.......

He waved us away. (This would not have started a picture taking storm either, it was in a secluded spot)

Douche

Rumors were that George young called him the most miserable person he ever knew... FYI, Bill was capt of his college lacrosse team. Wesleyan.  

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 9:34 PM, MadDog2020 said:

You know who was a MAJOR a$$hole? Stephane Richer. Only hockey player I’ve met who was just a complete d!ck. Loved him as a Devil, but dude was a fvcking jerk-off.

I've met him once at a signing.  He didn't seem angry or upset, but just miserable like he didn't want to be there.  I actually felt bad for him he seemed just so miserable.

25 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Rumors were that George young called him the most miserable person he ever knew... FYI, Bill was capt of his college lacrosse team. Wesleyan.  

Not surprising.  I have heard similar stories about BB from others.  For a guy who has won 5 SB's and is worth millions you would think he would be a little less crotchety.

I'm jumping in here late to the autograph talk but I actually went to one of the previous Rico signings at SMU.  My wife bought me "the photo" for Christmas one year and bought the non-auto version and was mad at herself because she wanted to get me the signed copy.  I came across an ad for a signing at SMU the following week and decided to go. My wife loves Rico but was working.  When I got there it was pouring rain and the line was around the building and up stairs. It was nuts.  There must have been 100 people or more ahead of me. Maybe way more.All standing out in the pouring cold rain. It was hard to tell. Anyway I finally get up to meet him and he was the nicest dude. Asked him for a quick photo and told him my wife was going to be so jealous. He signed the photo as if he were signing the very first. Nice and clear and even asked me which color marker I'd prefer, making a recommendation on which he thinks looked best.  He's exactly the kind of guy you come to expect from hockey players. Down to earth, loving life, and recognizes how lucky he is to be playing.  He was also great with all the kids there to meet him that were so nervous they could hardly look at him.  I'm not a huge auto hound but I'm glad I went that day.  When my wife got home that night and saw the photo where I left it, only this time it was signed, she did a double take. When I showed her the photo his assistant took I didnt know if she was going to cry for missing meeting Rico or be happy I got it signed. 😂 $25 well spent. 

Thinking back on the few times I've had getting autos or meeting players most have been cool - Salvador,  Ron Hextall, Bernie Parent, Grant Marshall. All those Devils alumni ambassadors have been great. One guy that wasn't the nicest was John Vanbiesbrouck. Kind of an ass. But everyone has off days so maybe I caught him on one,

Edited by gardenstatepkwy
  • Like 3