2018 Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know what role he really played with the Blues and to what extent he was involved, so I can't say whether or not he'd be a good fit and bring something of value to us, but if he was good at his job, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.  

He was assistant GM, so I imagine he was pretty involved. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off topic but hell a lot asked for it: Future first round draft picks have arrived!!! Won’t let me upload the photo but they’re doing well and mom’s finally getting some sleep!

wow, you know its been a miserably boring off season when I just had to scroll through two pages of posts about Martin brodeurs financial situation

Need someone to brag to. It's off topic but it's okay.  Some of you guys know I'm taking adult learn-to-play lessons from the Florida Panthers. I played growing up but haven't since 8th grade, an

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If/when Marty decides he wants to continue his post-playing hockey career, I think it's this...that seems like the best fit for him.  I don't think he has a place here, with this current regime...these aren't those Devils anymore.  Things are just different now. 

Agree totally. It's only the same team in name. The administration is all new guard, Shero's people. While I am sure Shero realizes the significance Marty had for this franchise, he wasn't here for it. He didn't have that relationship with him. 

If Lou was still here, and he decided to bring Marty in (and holding aside any "Lou didn't know what he was doing anymore' stuff), I would feel more confident because he knew Marty and knew what his capabilities were and what his weaknesses were. If Ray were to bring him in, its probably just because he's a former player (probably the most significant one, but still) and the fans would like it. 

I don't find the latter to be a very good reason for giving a guy a job. Of course, there remains the possibility that he's REALLY good at being an assistant GM, and is totally capable of filling such a position. 

Now, if we need an Alumni type dude, 100% I'm in. I love when guys are still "around the team" but not controlling our destiny. Grant Marshall and Colin White are good examples. 

If we needed a goalie coach, we could do a hell of a lot worse. 

But I'm not sold on his upper management abilities, and I am 100% sure there is zero relation between a hugely successful career playing hockey and a successful career managing a team. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree totally. It's only the same team in name. The administration is all new guard, Shero's people. While I am sure Shero realizes the significance Marty had for this franchise, he wasn't here for it. He didn't have that relationship with him. 

If Lou was still here, and he decided to bring Marty in (and holding aside any "Lou didn't know what he was doing anymore' stuff), I would feel more confident because he knew Marty and knew what his capabilities were and what his weaknesses were. If Ray were to bring him in, its probably just because he's a former player (probably the most significant one, but still) and the fans would like it. 

I don't find the latter to be a very good reason for giving a guy a job. Of course, there remains the possibility that he's REALLY good at being an assistant GM, and is totally capable of filling such a position. 

Now, if we need an Alumni type dude, 100% I'm in. I love when guys are still "around the team" but not controlling our destiny. Grant Marshall and Colin White are good examples. 

But I'm not sold on his upper management abilities, and I am 100% sure there is zero relation between a hugely successful career playing hockey and a successful career managing a team. 

Agreed.  That's the only position with us right now I would be comfortable with him being in.

• Like 2
Just now, mfitz804 said:

Actually, I think the fact that Shero DOESN'T have any connection to Marty is the main reason that, if Shero ever did decide to hire him (though I wouldn't love it) I'd have to defer to Shero.  I don't think Shero would care about Marty's past here at all...I think he would approach this strictly as "Can Marty the execute help this franchise in a front office role?  Can he help me build a better team?  If not, then I don't need him."  I don't think Marty the Hall-Of-Fame goalie means a thing to Shero; if anything, I think Marty's (playing) past would hold more weight with Lou than it ever would with Ray. 

So if he's ever here...it will only be because Ray believes in him as an asset to the front office. 

• Like 2

To clarify, Marty might turn out to be a great GM.  But we already have a very good GM, and there's very little value added among good GMs.  That is, there's no secret formula for success that say Steve Yzerman has that really anyone who has basic competence can't figure out also.  But if he turns out to be Marc Bergevin terrible, a large portion of Devils fans would make it impossible to get rid of him, or at least very painful.

Speaking of Bergevin, my guess is that Marty might be a candidate for the Montreal job when Bergevin is inevitably fired.  People used to say it was Roy's job to lose, but he's proven to be such a hot head, that he may not get another gig.  Marty might have actually learned a thing from Lou about keeping all team business in house and away from the media, which is something that the Canadians could really use. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

To clarify, Marty might turn out to be a great GM.  But we already have a very good GM, and there's very little value added among good GMs.  That is, there's no secret formula for success that say Steve Yzerman has that really anyone who has basic competence can't figure out also.  But if he turns out to be Marc Bergevin terrible, a large portion of Devils fans would make it impossible to get rid of him, or at least very painful.

Speaking of Bergevin, my guess is that Marty might be a candidate for the Montreal job when Bergevin is inevitably fired.  People used to say it was Roy's job to lose, but he's proven to be such a hot head, that he may not get another gig.  Marty might have actually learned a thing from Lou about keeping all team business in house and away from the media, which is something that the Canadians could really use. 

You make a good point. Reminds me a bit of the Ranger fans Mark Messier loyalists who desperately wanted him as head coach after Tortorella was fired. You also also had a faction who wanted nothing to do with him as coach knowing how messy and uncomfortable it would be to get rid of him and how it may chip away at his "immortal" 94 legacy if a failed coaching tenure was now part of his Rangers legacy. Marty is someone who's very moody and passive aggressive as we saw towards the end of his career. Getting rid of him could end up causing a long term rift between the organization and its most legendary home grown talent. Better to not even go there.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 3
48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So if he's ever here...it will only be because Ray believes in him as an asset to the front office. 

I mean, that does make sense...

• Like 1

Curious what kind of reputation has Brodeur established yet around the league regarding his front office work. I understand it's not a particularly long resume...but are other clubs eager to have him join their front office? Is there genuine interest in him? I honestly don't know one way or the other

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Curious what kind of reputation has Brodeur established yet around the league regarding his front office work. I understand it's not a particularly long resume...but are other clubs eager to have him join their front office? Is there genuine interest in him? I honestly don't know one way or the other

From what I've read, he was pretty respected in St. Louis and it seems like they wanted him there.  The fans liked him too, since he seemed to have turned around the goalies a couple of years ago, even if only by luck. 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree there's 0 relation between hhof player and being a good GM.  It's running a business which is something most players dont have any experience in. 

I actually dont think having Marty as a goalie coach would be all that good for Cory.  They are the 2 opposite style of goalies, cory butterfly, Brodeur hybrid.  He would be the perfect coach for kk who plays the same hybrid style.

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Off topic but hell a lot asked for it:

Future first round draft picks have arrived!!!

Won’t let me upload the photo but they’re doing well and mom’s finally getting some sleep!

Congrats, brother. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Won’t let me upload the photo but they’re doing well and mom’s finally getting some sleep!

Congrats man. My cousin has twins and it’s a pretty cool thing. Lot of work though, obviously. Good luck!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Congrats and best of luck jag! Awesome stuff. 🤟

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

I agree there's 0 relation between hhof player and being a good GM.  It's running a business which is something most players dont have any experience in. 

I actually dont think having Marty as a goalie coach would be all that good for Cory.  They are the 2 opposite style of goalies, cory butterfly, Brodeur hybrid.  He would be the perfect coach for kk who plays the same hybrid style.

When we saw KK down in the AHL, if given the opportunity, KK handled the stick real well.  CS could use some work in that regard.

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

if i had to pick a player to bring in for our management or coaching staff or wtv out of all our past player it would be Elias and it's not even close. He was a true true true team player while i feel Marty was a me first type of guy

Yeah, especially that time he fired his agent and re-signed at a discount. What a jerk. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jagknife said:

Congrats!

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, especially that time he fired his agent and re-signed at a discount. What a jerk. 

Have you read Marty's book?  A large chunk of it was him going on and on about what a great guy he is.

• Thanks 1

As far as Marty goes, there's fans who don't like him (partly because of some of his quotes and how he came off as his career here wound down) and now remember him as this borderline horrible "me me me" guy, and then there's the fans that thought he walked on water and could never do wrong even when he was completely delusional and in denial about the fact that he wasn't very good anymore.  It is ironic that a guy who was a big part of winning three Cups, became a H-H-O-Famer almost exclusively for what he accomplished HERE, and had such an insanely long peak polarizes fans the way he does, and if he had gone out a little differently (less abrasively), you probably have more people in the middle.  Though I think players often get held to a ridiculously unfair standard when it comes to how they conduct themselves (with every last word they utter getting picked apart to death), Marty did bring some of the negativity that some fans feel about him unto himself.   

I don't think Shero is really at all interested in Marty coming here anyway...I'm guessing he doesn't think bringing him here is necessary.  But it goes back to the same thing:  if this ever did happen (I still think he's Islander/Lou-bound eventually), it's only because Shero is convinced that he can be a help.  Marty's past as a player and whatever good and bad traits he had as a player won't be what sways Shero in one direction over the other (nor should it). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Anybody know what the latest is with Miles Wood?  Is there an arbitration hearing coming up or did I miss it?

He's not arb-eligible yet...needs one more season (https://www.capfriendly.com/players/miles-wood).  Basically the Devils hold all of the cards.  I'm guessing he gets a 2-3 year deal, maybe $2 million per or a little more.