Francesa is back

MadDog2020

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is Jay Leno/Conan all over again lol. https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/2018/04/24/mike-francesa-return-wfan-radio/545975002/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris, Maggie and Bart were a disaster, and pretty much the whole business knew it from the start.  It would really, really annoy me if Evan and Joe left or were only given an hour or something like that.

• Like 1

Chris, Maggie and Bart were a disaster, and pretty much the whole business knew it from the start.  It would really, really annoy me if Evan and Joe left or were only given an hour or something like that.

They’re gonna ‘split’ the 10-3 window between Evan & Joe and CMB... that’ll go over like a fart in church with Evan and Joe I’m sure. CMB blows. Just cut bait and admit you fvcked up.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They’re gonna ‘split’ the 10-3 window between Evan & Joe and CMB... that’ll go over like a fart in church with Evan and Joe I’m sure. CMB blows. Just cut bait and admit you fvcked up.

Chris is maybe the most unlikable guy on radio and I don't think Maggie has ever said anything interesting ever.  Bart was actually the only listenable one of the three, and that says a lot because I hated him as a football player.

I guess the ratings say my tastes aren't typical though.  I thought it would be a shoe in for Evan and Joe or at least Evan and another guy, like Chris Simms, but it doesn't look like it was even a consideration.  And the guy they really wanted and who apparently gets amazing ratings on Sirius is Adam Schein, who also has a really punchable voice and personality.  I guess the same people that like Schein really dug Craig Carton. 

Man, I really need to be world dictator starting tomorrow.  All annoying radio/tv personalities will be sent to the gulag and the world will be freed of the menace of decorative pillows.  Then my work will be finished.

• Like 1

Chris is maybe the most unlikable guy on radio and I don't think Maggie has ever said anything interesting ever.  Bart was actually the only listenable one of the three, and that says a lot because I hated him as a football player.
I guess the ratings say my tastes aren't typical though.  I thought it would be a shoe in for Evan and Joe or at least Evan and another guy, like Chris Simms, but it doesn't look like it was even a consideration.  And the guy they really wanted and who apparently gets amazing ratings on Sirius is Adam Schein, who also has a really punchable voice and personality.  I guess the same people that like Schein really dug Craig Carton. 
Man, I really need to be world dictator starting tomorrow.  All annoying radio/tv personalities will be sent to the gulag and the world will be freed of the menace of decorative pillows.  Then my work will be finished.

As soon as they announced that CMB trio, I knew it would be terrible. And it was. In fact, I’ll bet WFAN came crawling to Mike once they saw they were about to lose an afternoon drive book for the first time in like 30 years. Love him or hate him, Francesa gets ratings. In radio, ratings talk and bullsh!t walks. He’ll come back, and it’ll be like he never left; he’ll own afternoon drive. The Kay crew can’t be too happy.

Francesa is awful...the guy can barely form coherent sentences and his "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhs" and "I mean"s are brutal...he is SO far past whatever prime he had.  The fact that Noo Yawkers actually still like this guy says plenty about how dumb some Noo Yawkers really are. 

And he'll be even WORSE now...more pompous and full of himself than ever, now that he'll see himself as the ultimate White Knight. 

At least it's almost summer...he pretty much takes half the summer off anyway.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

As soon as they announced that CMB trio, I knew it would be terrible. And it was. In fact, I’ll bet WFAN came crawling to Mike once they saw they were about to lose an afternoon drive book for the first time in like 30 years. Love him or hate him, Francesa gets ratings. In radio, ratings talk and bullsh!t walks. He’ll come back, and it’ll be like he never left; he’ll own afternoon drive. The Kay crew can’t be too happy.

The bolded can't be disputed.  That to me is mindblowing because Francesa often seemed to have trouble keeping his train of thought as his career wound down...he was just really really bad.  The only time he seemed to get on a roll was when he was ranting...and on that count, he could definitely be entertaining.  But the gaps between the rants were torturous. 

• Like 1

The bolded can't be disputed.  That to me is mindblowing because Francesa often seemed to have trouble keeping his train of thought as his career wound down...he was just really really bad.  The only time he seemed to get on a roll was when he was ranting...and on that count, he could definitely be entertaining.  But the gaps between the rants were torturous. 

I agree, although I still enjoyed a good Francesa rant right up to the very end (the McAdoo rant about Eli getting benched for Geno Smith right before he left was vintage Francesa lol). But as much as he’s lost a lot off his fastball, it doesn’t seem to matter for him. The guy is an institution in NY. He has a huge audience. You think his ratings were big before? Wait until he gets back. Even the Francesa haters will be listening in in the beginning out of sheer curiosity. I guarantee it.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I still don't mind him, and will probably listen to him more often than I don't.  He knows what he's talking about most of the time, or sufficiently so.  And he's not annoying like Carlin, Schein or jail-bird Carton.  It's arrogance that's the most off-putting thing about him, but compared to what else is out there, I can live with it.

Evan and Joe are still easily the best part of the wfan line-up.  Sad that it looks like they're on the way out.

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I agree, although I still enjoyed a good Francesa rant right up to the very end (the McAdoo rant about Eli getting benched for Geno Smith right before he left was vintage Francesa lol). But as much as he’s lost a lot off his fastball, it doesn’t seem to matter for him. The guy is an institution in NY. He has a huge audience. You think his ratings were big before? Wait until he gets back. Even the Francesa haters will be listening in in the beginning out of sheer curiosity. I guarantee it.

It really is a phenomenon...the guy could literally show up and burp and fart for four hours, and his audience would eat it up.  I've never seen a guy have so much success on the air in spite of himself...as much as I rip him for never bothering to improve his on-air performance (is it really THAT hard to listen back to performances and work on those god-awful "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh"s and "I mean"s?!), the fact is, he never HAD to shore up his craft...his listeners were tuning in no matter what.

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I still don't mind him, and will probably listen to him more often than I don't.  He knows what he's talking about most of the time, or sufficiently so.  And he's not annoying like Carlin, Schein or jail-bird Carton.  It's arrogance that's the most off-putting thing about him, but compared to what else is out there, I can live with it.

Evan and Joe are still easily the best part of the wfan line-up.  Sad that it looks like they're on the way out.

Not really, but that's the perception.  He gets stuff wrong plenty, but of course, when you act as though you're never wrong about anything (and/or have no ability to laugh at yourself), guys like him get credit for knowing more than they really do. 

He was also a bad interviewer...the fawning over A-Rod when he came in was unbelievable.  But what I remember was how Francesa would just trample all over his subjects' answers...a guy like, say, Whitey Ford would be trying to tell a story, and Fat fvck would constantly interrupt him by sprinkling in whatever parts of the story he might be aware of, because Fat fvck of course had to let his audience know how much HE ALREADY KNOWS about this story...Francesa ruined SO many potentially interesting moments that way.

Schein and Carton suck too, I'll give you that.  Both just way too abrasive.  Carton was always one of those guys who clearly thought he was way cooler and more of a badass than he could ever dream of being. 

I like Joe and Evan a lot. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Evan and Joe will probably just go back to 10-1 and be fine, the CMB show will be the one to suffer getting slashed from 4.5 to 2 hours. They’re going on the same timeline as the ESPN schedule now instead of overlapping. Maggie to me was the only tolerable one of the three, Carton has always been an annoying blowhard and Bart didn’t seem to know much about sports that weren’t football. They’d have been better off moving Joe and Evan into that time slot in the first place rather than getting a three person ensemble of mishmash thrown together trying to copy the Kay show.

As far as Francesa man this retirement lasted less time than a Brett Favre one.

• Like 1

Evan and Joe will probably just go back to 10-1 and be fine, the CMB show will be the one to suffer getting slashed from 4.5 to 2 hours. They’re going on the same timeline as the ESPN schedule now instead of overlapping. Maggie to me was the only tolerable one of the three, Carton has always been an annoying blowhard and Bart didn’t seem to know much about sports that weren’t football. They’d have been better off moving Joe and Evan into that time slot in the first place rather than getting a three person ensemble of mishmash thrown together trying to copy the Kay show.
As far as Francesa man this retirement lasted less time than a Brett Favre one.

Evan and Joe in Francesca’s afternoon drive spot and WFAN wins this book too and no one panics. This stupid CMB experiment was just that- stupid. And unnecessary. Evan and Joe deserved a shot. They paid their dues and they built an audience. They would’ve picked up where Francesa left off with regards to winning that time slot.

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yea that combo works well (Joe and Evan) I don't know how much longer Joe has though he's already in his 60's and seems older than his years and breaking down. Though radio is a medium that you can still do quite well in into your 70's as long as you have the passion and mental quickness. Evan I also like though sometimes I feel he tries too hard, but he's pretty good.

This was all a big head fake by Mike. He went into his "retirement" but I doubt wanted to do anything so radically different from what he was doing before. WFAN is home, it's familiar. Now he'll continue to get the big bucks, big ratings, and probably a more favorable schedule. 

And I doubt he crawled back to then. Of course he wanted back on but they probably made the first call.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Evan and Joe in Francesca’s afternoon drive spot and WFAN wins this book too and no one panics. This stupid CMB experiment was just that- stupid. And unnecessary. Evan and Joe deserved a shot. They paid their dues and they built an audience. They would’ve picked up where Francesa left off with regards to winning that time slot.

I'm a huge Francesa fan so this is good news in my book. I think his sports knowledge is average at best (though he's a pretty good historian on certain topics). However, his rants and demeanor are hilarious. I can't even call his personality a "schtick" like Carton because I genuinely believe he has no idea how pompous and arrogant he is. 

I don't think Joe wanted the afternoon drive gig. He was only working 3-4 hours and he's pretty old. I could see him turning it down due to not wanting to work as much.

• Like 1

The three articles I've read are all rightly shredding Francesa...guy just comes off so douchey here. 

Agree with Has, Evan and Joe just should've gotten the slot...Derlique just speculated that maybe Joe didn't want it, but I gotta think they would've jumped at the chance. 

• Like 1

Boomer and the morning show absolutely eviscerated Fatty on the air this morning...sure this isn't going to be awkward:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/25/wfan-morning-show-unloads-on-mike-francesa-return/

“Radio can be a real sewer pit,” Esiason said on “Boomer and Gio” in a nearly 30-minute opening segment solely on Francesa. “There’s a lot of backstabbing and knife-throwing that goes on. I try to stay above a lot of that stuff. Unfortunately you can’t. Three people basically have gotten screwed. I don’t care how you put it — they’ve gotten screwed. They’ve gotten screwed by a guy who said he was never going to be on this radio station again. Who decided to come back because of some conspiracy to keep him off the air. I have no idea what the hell that means.”

Those three people are Chris Carlin, Maggie Gray and Bart Scott, whose show will be reduced, as will “Joe & Evan,” to clear space for Francesa. Francesa went above the station’s head, to its parent company, Entercom, and its president, David Field, according to The Post’s Andrew Marchand, to pull the strings on his return.

“It’s bizarre. It’s crazy,” Esiason said. “From the standpoint of the radio show, it’s great. If he wants to come back, he comes back. He’s the No. 1 guy. He’s been here for a long time. Whatever he does, he does it. People either seem to love it or hate it but they listen to it, which is important. But the human toll is significant. Basically three people here just got reduced roles.”

“The first thing [Francesa] should do is go over to the three of them and apologize,” Esiason said.

“And then I will go sprinkle salt where hell froze over,” chimed in producer Eddie Scozzare.

image.gif

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

I'm glad he's back, almost never agree with him, but the show was entertaining!  the only bright spot about CMB was Bart talking football, we got insight that we have not gotten before...  And other than Legreca the Kay show is just as bad.

I like Evan but Joe is hard to take, same bad jokes everyday, and he always gives in to Evan when they disagree about something, never a fight to the death like we used to get with Mike & Dog....

• 1 year later...
31 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mike's App is dead. Purchased by Radio.com. It goes dark on 10/1

https://nypost.com/2019/09/03/mike-francesas-subscription-app-is-dead/

I actually got the app today when I heard it was going to be free the last month lol, there’s not really that much on it you don’t already get on his shows or the audio clips anyway, just nostalgia stuff, five minute hits, video of his show clips if the audio wasn’t enough for you...$9 was way overpriced for that, no wonder it got laughed at and sold at pennies on the dollar.

Edited by NJDevs4978