Sign in to follow this  
Kinkyisth3b3st

Hockey Players of NJDevs -- Help!

Howdy guys. Recently, the Florida Panthers announced something pretty cool... for $355, you get a full set of brand new gear and 12 weeks of lessons for Adult "Learn To Play". 

I grew up playing ice hockey, but stopped in 8th grade. Always wanted to get back into it, and -- lo and behold -- this perfect program popped up. I'll be making the 90 minute hike down to Palm Beach and playing every thursday night for the majority of the summer. I'm pumped.

Just got all my gear. With literally 0 access to ice time (I'm 90 minutes away from the closest sheet of ice, which is less than ideal), do you guys have any suggestions for beginners? My skating is rusty but I'll be fine, I went to an open skate last week and was able to buzz around pretty decently.

Drills you can do at home, videos you watched that helped get some mustard on your shot, etc...anyone have stuff like that? The goal is to finish this up and join a men's league. Really want to show up to this whole thing with at least a little bit of confidence. 

Get a pair of roller blades and skate wherever you can. That’s how I learned to skate back in the day. That should help shake off the skating rust and get you back in the right form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

if you have a gym with the "wide treads" elliptical machines, those are awesome and simulate the best skating motion you can while not actually skating (I like the treadclimber too, but that's an uncommon one) ....also for when you get started....yoga.....seriously, nothing helps the aches, pains and strengthens the things that matter more effectively (or as I call it "my counter-balance to all the damage I do by playing all the time"

not a big fan of the roller blade option, there a HUGE difference in cutting the ice with skates and trotting out on roller blades (I can't make a roller stop, but I can stop on ice just fine) ....public skates are good for just reps on skates but when you get too good, you'll piss off people at the public sessions too, but it's good to get back into it...but hell if I can start at 36 and be functional, you should have no issues :lol:

If you have carpet in your house or some kind of basement cement floor, screw around with a stick and golf ball. Start slow (there’s plenty of YouTube videos) and work your way up to moving around fast as you can. Make sure the stick you are playing around with is shorter than your ice stick because the two inch difference will screw you up on ice. 

The name of the game is skating, and unfortunately the only way to get better at it is by doing it. Roller has its pluses and minuses. I started playing roller and some maneuvers on ice come off very awkward for me. I can stop on a dime in roller which is more difficult than ice but my ice stop isn’t nearly as smooth because it doesn’t feel natural. 

I tell all my players cycling is 100 times better than running to get into hockey shape. Activates the quads much more. Consider a cycle (I hate calling it spin) class. I can attest to Crasher and yoga, I don’t do yoga but get a foam roller and it’ll be your best friend. Expect significant lower back pain when you start, it’ll go away. 

Thanks for the responses guys! Had a “holy sh!t it’s Crasher” moment, no doubt.

the one thing I’ve got going for me is that I’m in relatively solid cardio shape and physical shape. I’m a big power lifter, don’t do competitions any more but still hit it 5 Days a week. I know what you mean by “wide tread” elliptical and I do have one in my local gym, will give that a shot. 

Really excited to get back out there. Thanks so much for the suggestions! 

That's kinda become the thing now....since I play 3 days a week and I do 75 minutes a day on the treadclimber.....I kinda don't have much time for the NHL, and the "3 on 3 OT" gimmick was my "frak those guys" moment and I haven't seen a full NHL game in over 1 years, aside of Elias night....I'm more invested in my own games :)

If your gym has yoga classes.....DO IT....seriously.....it will be the best thing you can do to negate the minor aches and "WTF moments" your body will have......