Lou out at Toronto Named Dir Hockey for Isles

mikemarc1

Will always be very thankful for what he accomplished here, but I think the game has passed him by for the most part since the last lockout. However, even after that our boys hair never touched their collars and they were always clean shaven.  #Priorities :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Will always be very thankful for what he accomplished here, but I think the game has passed him by for the most part since the last lockout. However, even after that our boys hair never touched their collars and they were always clean shaven.  #Priorities :)

And no high numbers/#13. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Writing was on the wall. There was nothing doing regarding a new contract for 2018. 

Either he is looking for one last NHL GM job with full control like he had with us(and never had with Toronto), or he recognized that he is slowing down and just can't do this anymore

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He was staying with the Devils as a Senior Advisor too.... until he wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I see that as being a respect move to save face than an actual move with some intent for him to be productive in that role. Lou commands respect in the industry so no one wants to come out and just flat out fire him.

32 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Grateful for what he has done but the game has passed him. As it has Queenville and  Babcock as well. I'd say Babs gets maybe one more year.

I don't know why anyone you think Babcock's job security is threatened. He has done a great job with that team for the time he has been there. JQ is a great coach, I just think he needs a change of scenery. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea I see that as being a respect move to save face than an actual move with some intent for him to be productive in that role. Lou commands respect in the industry so no one wants to come out and just flat out fire him.

I don't know why anyone you think Babcock's job security is threatened. He has done a great job with that team for the time he has been there. JQ is a great coach, I just think he needs a change of scenery. 

JQ "was" game has passed him by as well. To fast for him, as it was Hitch to. And Babs seems to hold some of the players back. Have seen a lot of Leaf fans that would welcome a change and think it would be better for the young team.

When Toronto hired Lou, a lot of Leafs (and other) fans saw it as a temporary move in order to let Kyle Dubas learn a bit from Lou before stepping into the gig. That said, I suppose Mark Hunter is still a possibility.

Toronto had a really good team this year. They ran into the best team in the league in the first round of the playoffs and took them to seven games.

Edited by Neb00rs

When Toronto hired Lou, a lot of Leafs (and other) fans saw it as a temporary move in order to let Kyle Dubas learn a bit from Lou before stepping into the gig. That said, I suppose Mark Hunter is still a possibility.
Toronto had a really good team this year. They ran into the best team in the league in the first round of the playoffs and took them to seven games.

I think Dubas gets that job- Colorado requested to interview him for their GM gig a couple years ago and Toronto denied them permission.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I think Dubas gets that job- Colorado requested to interview him for their GM gig a couple years ago and Toronto denied them permission.

Yeah, not really a question of 'if' for Dubas, just when. He's waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

Kinda surprised this was only a one year stint with Lou... not sure what management wanted that he didn't give them.  I don't think he gets another GM job anywhere else, but I imagine he'll stay in hockey in some capacity.  He is getting pretty old though, I think he's pushing 75 now.  I think with someone like him and of his age, hockey is been all he's known for most or all of his life, so it's hard to step away from it, at least completely.  Much like it was for Fischler who just retired.

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

let's hope he brings his antiquated ways there, surrounds himself with guys like Conte to run the drafts and we'll all benefit from it.

To be fair you'd have to be a special kind of idiot to do worse than Snow, so whoever goes there has a pretty low bar to reach.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Kinda surprised this was only a one year stint with Lou... not sure what management wanted that he didn't give them.  I don't think he gets another GM job anywhere else, but I imagine he'll stay in hockey in some capacity.  He is getting pretty old though, I think he's pushing 75 now.  I think with someone like him and of his age, hockey is been all he's known for most or all of his life, so it's hard to step away from it, at least completely.  Much like it was for Fischler who just retired.

He was already there for three years...time flies.  Sounds like it was only going to be a three-year gig no matter what, as far as being the GM goes:

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/lou-lamoriello-out-as-gm-of-the-maple-leafs#comments

You have to imagine he retires as a "senior advisor" -  he's almost 80 isn't he?

But then again, maybe he's one of those guys that just.. can't step away.  Maybe he'll work until the day he goes, who knows.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I wonder if they will be able to keep the media circus at bay up there without Lou overseeing the lockdown.    Given his last 10 years here, I didn't think it made much sense for anyone else to hire him as GM but for Toronto, I thought it was a good move.