Lou out at Toronto Named Dir Hockey for Isles

mikemarc1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I know Lou tried, but it was still on his watch. He tried with all those other guys too, but they were on his watch, so it’s Lou’s responsibility- fair or not- which I’m sure Lou would tell you himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess.  I mean, in the end, we kept Patty, and even though I was hurt that Nieds left us, I didn't feel like it was Lou's fault.  I can't remember as vividly the circumstances for the other guys -- I know the Gomez situation was pretty crappy.  Rafalski I was upset with too, and maybe Lou could've done more there, but I also feel like he was a guy who was rapidly aging when he jumped ship...

Having just checked before submitting this post...it is as I suspected.  Dude was 33, closing in on 34.  People really wanted Lou to persist that badly and go out on a limb to keep guys approaching their mid 30s?  Can't really say I agree there.

I thought Lou's days as a GM were over but punting Snow out and taking over shouldn't be a surprise, he has always been a powerbroker.

I don't wish anything bad for him after all he has done but if goes senile while being the Islanders GM and then hands the job to his underqualified son, I'll be fine with it. I wouldn't assume JT is going to resign. Hiring a 75 year old to be GM brings up more questions than answers long term. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I thought Lou's days as a GM were over but punting Snow out and taking over shouldn't be a surprise, he has always been a powerbroker.

I don't wish anything bad for him after all he has done but if goes senile while being the Islanders GM and then hands the job to his underqualified son, I'll be fine with it. I wouldn't assume JT is going to resign. Hiring a 75 year old to be GM brings up more questions than answers long term. 

I think firing weight as coach is a negative for jt... I think they had a really close relationship

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

This is the guy who's let Rafalski, Gomez, Parise, and Scott fvcking Niedermayer walk -- four of the most "holy sh!t" UFAs to hit the road in their time. He's also a guy who didn't even offer Patrik Elias a contract after his deal expired, because he "assumed" they were priced out of the market.  It took a call from Elias to Lou, after the Rangers were the highest bidder, to keep #26 from wearing broadway blue. 

Lou is a lot of great things, and he brought 3 cups to our team. But nobody's going to confuse him as a free-agent mastermind. 

Rafalski - that was a bad one. He was ready to stay for a reasonable price and Lou used his "if you've got time, use it" theory and detroit came in with a blow away offer that NJ didn't want to match.

Gomez took highest dollar and wasn't going to sign for less. That was a good decision by Lou to let him go.

Parise - Lou had his chance but Vanderbeek's finances were non-existant and he wanted kovy over Parise so Lou couldn't lock him up early. Parise wanted to go home. Devils offered enough to keep him.

Neidermayer - Lou did everything possible to keep him (max contract, trying to trade for Rob) but he left to play with his brother. Lou's issue might have been not extending him earlier and treating him like sh!t through various arbitration hearings but whatever.

Elias - Lou simply got lucky. He was insanely stupid to even let Elias get to the point of being ready to go to Chicago or the Rangers. Lou essentially lucked into keeping Elias.

---

As for JT - Lou just got here. Whatever Tavares does, assuming Lou doesn't low ball him, there's not much Lou can do about it other than convince him that things will be different with him at the helm. The JT situation and how Lou handled big guys for NJ do not compare.

Edited by sundstrom

He offered Niedermayer a multi year max contract to stay, he went to play with his brother. Not the same thing, at all. 

Of course, but he offered Parise a big deal too and he left to go home. Context is obviously important, but I mentioned Nieds because he was the most crushing free agent loss in team history.

52 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course, but he offered Parise a big deal too and he left to go home. Context is obviously important, but I mentioned Nieds because he was the most crushing free agent loss in team history.

I understand. But nothing Lou could’ve done, I guess. Maybe he could’ve gone and gotten his brother. Which of course he did later. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He would bring more accountability to the Isles' D.  Would you want to face him on the bench after you just screwed up?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I guess my point wasn’t clear. I’m not saying all departures were his fault; I’m saying that the statement “oh, Lou is now in charge of the Islanders, JT is definitely staying” is pretty dumb.

I just don’t know why he takes the job at his age, if he figures that the first thing that happens is he loses his best player for nothing.  Ego, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I just don’t know why he takes the job at his age, if he figures that the first thing that happens is he loses his best player for nothing.  Ego, I guess.

Not the worst gig in the world:

1) Can live in his NJ house and work with his son. One of the best travel schedules in the league.

2) Barzal is one of the best young players in the game. Not to mention Bailey and Eberle are good fwds. Beauvillier and Ho-Sang have talent, too.

3) Have the 11/12 OA picks. Lou will not shy away from a big trade on draft day, so he has plenty of ammo to make a splash for a D or Grubauer if he wants.

Now, obviously there is a ton of work to do like: re-signing Tavares, fixing the G and D and rebuilding the prospect pool. 

6 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wasn't Neidermayer basically pulled to Anaheim by a magnetic force, aka Rob?  Not saying Lou failing to re-sign some of those other big names wasn't a free agent fallacy, but from what I remember, it seemed that Niedermayer was pretty adamant about wanting to play with his brother, and I think him going to the Ducks was more or less based on that, rather than some blunder by Lou who was either surprised, or did nothing at all, to try to get him to stay.  Not to mention he was 32 when he left us - not over the hill per se, but hardly a spring chicken, and not at all like we let some young promising star slip away who went on to have an amazing career and light up the league.  Dude only played 5 more years.

And won a Cup and Conn Smythe trophy...

• Like 1

I still say JT is leaving, team isn't good enough to stick around, ice sucks in Brooklyn and has been causing injuries, also have to play in 2 sh!tty arenas and have miserable commutes either way. Lou isn't going to make this team a cup contender. If JT is smart he bounces. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

12 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wasn't Neidermayer basically pulled to Anaheim by a magnetic force, aka Rob?  Not saying Lou failing to re-sign some of those other big names wasn't a free agent fallacy, but from what I remember, it seemed that Niedermayer was pretty adamant about wanting to play with his brother, and I think him going to the Ducks was more or less based on that, rather than some blunder by Lou who was either surprised, or did nothing at all, to try to get him to stay.  Not to mention he was 32 when he left us - not over the hill per se, but hardly a spring chicken, and not at all like we let some young promising star slip away who went on to have an amazing career and light up the league.  Dude only played 5 more years.

Brian Burke refused to trade Rob to NJ because he knew it improved his chance of getting Scott. So Lou tried.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, titans04 said:

Lou can always bring Wedgewood in if KK is out of the question.  If he doesn't surround himself with some smarter assistants in the front office  to help him with FA and such he'll get lapped by the field.  

He seems to be not very current with his thinking.  The league is changing rapidly, and he may not be keeping up.  Surrounding himself with good staff, starting with scouting, is instructive.  Still, an upgrade from the Garth Snow dumpster fire, I hope it works out for him.  We need some more fire to the NY metro rivalry, but I know we are better than the others.

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

Brian Burke refused to trade Rob to NJ because he knew it improved his chance of getting Scott. So Lou tried.

Pretty sure I remember reading that Lou had tried to get Rob to keep Scott. It was well known by that time that Scott had done everything he wanted to in his career except play with his brother. Smart move by Burke to hold out. Knowing Lou, I'm almost surprised he even bothered to try for Rob since catering to a single player isn't his MO... even if they are superstar caliber.

I almost forgot Rob eventually did come play in New Jersey for a year at the end of his career too.

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Pretty sure I remember reading that Lou had tried to get Rob to keep Scott. It was well known by that time that Scott had done everything he wanted to in his career except play with his brother. Smart move by Burke to hold out. Knowing Lou, I'm almost surprised he even bothered to try for Rob since catering to a single player isn't his MO... even if they are superstar caliber.

I almost forgot Rob eventually did come play in New Jersey for a year at the end of his career too.

Losing Niedermayer and Stevens in one offseason would be a pretty damn tough pill to swallow. It happened, yet, somehow, the team made the playoffs the next 6 years. Pretty crazy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ugg how could one forget the years of Special Nieds.

22 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wasn't Neidermayer basically pulled to Anaheim by a magnetic force, aka Rob?  Not saying Lou failing to re-sign some of those other big names wasn't a free agent fallacy, but from what I remember, it seemed that Niedermayer was pretty adamant about wanting to play with his brother, and I think him going to the Ducks was more or less based on that, rather than some blunder by Lou who was either surprised, or did nothing at all, to try to get him to stay.  Not to mention he was 32 when he left us - not over the hill per se, but hardly a spring chicken, and not at all like we let some young promising star slip away who went on to have an amazing career and light up the league.  Dude only played 5 more years.

I firmly believe that Nieds was the best player in hockey for a couple of seasons until Crosby really came into his own in his second season.

• Like 1