Lou out at Toronto Named Dir Hockey for Isles

mikemarc1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

He may be, but is he the guy you can pin your hopes on for delivering a cup to a team that has been on a rocky path the last few years and took a step back this year?  While they do have JT until July 1st, there is no Matthews-type player waiting for them to be drafted anytime soon.

I don’t think he takes the job if he thinks there’s a good chance the team’s best player bolts a month later.

• Like 1

I think they hired Lamoriello to give the Islanders some credibility in the Tavares negotiation.  On top of that, it prevents the Maple Leafs from making a pitch for Tavares now that Lamoriello is the "insider" from the Islanders side of things.

But all things considered, I don't think Tavares is any more an Islander on July 1st than Nikita Kucherov or Steve Stamkos is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I think they hired Lamoriello to give the Islanders some credibility in the Tavares negotiation.  On top of that, it prevents the Maple Leafs from making a pitch for Tavares now that Lamoriello is the "insider" from the Islanders side of things.

Let’s not forget, also, that Toronto is his hometown team. In addition to telling him all the reasons the Islanders make sense, Lou could also give him a first hand account of why Toronto does not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titans04 said:

I have the highest respect for Lou and the cups he brought here but the post lock out Lou is nowhere nearly as good.  He'll bring structure, short hair, suit jackets etc.  If I was an Islanders fan I would have zero faith he brings much else other than his last name isn't Snow.  I would also be equally as concerned if not even more so that Chris would now appear to be next in line and that's just a dagger hanging over head for them now.

agree, it certainly seems like the succession plan shaping up for the Islanders and long term that could be trouble; Lou over the hill and Chris there only because Lou was once great. I guess when you look at their history since their dynasty in the early 80s it can't get much worse.

18 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

But all things considered, I don't think Tavares is any more an Islander on July 1st than Nikita Kucherov or Steve Stamkos is. 

yeah, Lou being involved doesn't guarantee Tavares resigns, Lou is no stranger to losing high profile UFAs. 

As for the Leafs, they have Mathews, Marner and Nylander to give big raises to and way overpaid for Marleau, they aren't going to be a factor in the Tavares derby no matter what. 

• Like 1

IF he resigns with the Islanders I don't think it will have anything to do with LL being there or not.  The guy has put up with playing in hell for years now, it may just be his comfort zone.  If they can manage to get a stud goalie and some upgrades on defense they could be a much better team.

Lou met with JT in TO. very recently. (according to EJ Hradek/Weeks)  You know he's already perusing (lusting)  other teams goalies. I think they'll get JT signed.

42 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Lou met with JT in TO. very recently. (according to EJ Hradek/Weeks)  You know he's already perusing (lusting)  other teams goalies. I think they'll get JT signed.

Wasn't he just  hired by the Isles today?  If so, then it would be considered tampering if he met with JT before taking the Isles job as he was employed by TOR at the time.

Good for Lou.  He will bring instant credibility to that dumpster fire of a franchise, as much for who he is as for what he will do.  Hopefully he doesn't find a goalie or descent defenders, because the offense on  that team is pretty strong right now (assuming JT stays).

Edited by Chuck the Duck

41 minutes ago, titans04 said:

IF he resigns with the Islanders I don't think it will have anything to do with LL being there or not.  The guy has put up with playing in hell for years now, it may just be his comfort zone.  If they can manage to get a stud goalie and some upgrades on defense they could be a much better team.

Assuming he re-signs, I’m sure a lot of it will have to do with Snow being gone and Lou being a credible replacement.  According to someone on HF Boards who posts in the Isles forum who they say is tuned in, there’s going to be a new deal announced in the next week or so.

The Isles ownership came very close to fvcking things up royally, even by the standards of the Islanders of the last 20 years. 

2 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Wasn't he just  hired by the Isles today?  If so, then it would be considered tampering if he met with JT before taking the Isles job as he was employed by TOR at the time.

Per Friedman, the league has said it has no issues with the contacts.  

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Assuming he re-signs, I’m sure a lot of it will have to do with Snow being gone and Lou being a credible replacement.  According to someone on HF Boards who posts in the Isles forum who they say is tuned in, there’s going to be a new deal announced in the next week or so.

The Isles ownership came very close to fvcking things up royally, even by the standards of the Islanders of the last 20 years. 

time will tell but I never saw him leaving there, which means it could probably happen :)

3 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

"the 75-year-old never seemed destined to just fade away into the sunset, instead now picking another opportunity to turn a franchise around and then likely hand the keys to his son." 

Lol. Isles fans better pray that doesn't happen. 

God we can only hope.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

There's never been any evidence that Chris Lamoriello is a talented hockey person, it would be hilarious if Lou served as a vessel to slip Chris inside the corpse of that Islanders franchise after Tavares is gone.

in fact there's a ton of history to prove he is not a talented hockey guy. 

• Like 1