Sign in to follow this  
mikemarc1

Lou out at Toronto Named Dir Hockey for Isles

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course it doesn't.  God forbid Lou did that here when he was with the Devils (talking with someone on behalf of one team WHILE STILL UNDER CONTRACT TO ANOTHER ORGANIZATION) the entire league would have been screaming and hollering for us to lose a draft pick and get fined.

like that time we got Scott Stevens for free you mean? 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And, of course, it could’ve been official before that, without our knowledge. I don’t see an issue, neither did the league who presumably knows more details than us. 

Both the Isles and Leafs (under Lou) are very quiet organisations that don't leak much. I'd wager the insiders were well behind on this. It'd be very Lou to leave TOR the day after Dubas was promoted but the organisation not telling anyone (except Lou talking to the Isles).

He's going to target Kinkaid for sure. 

Kinkaid has another year on his deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be willing to deal. KK's value will never be higher than it is right now. 

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kinkaid has another year on his deal.

All the more reason they might be willing to trade for him. 

Would you take De Haan (also 1 year left) coming off an injury shortened season plus a draft pick? 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would be willing to deal. KK's value will never be higher than it is right now. 

Would you take De Haan (also 1 year left) coming off an injury shortened season plus a draft pick? 

de Haan is UFA this summer, so he wouldn't be involved in any sort of trades. Since you brought up the question though, I would take de Haan on our blue line as a plan B behind Carlson.

19 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

de Haan is UFA this summer, so he wouldn't be involved in any sort of trades. Since you brought up the question though, I would take de Haan on our blue line as a plan B behind Carlson.

My bad, I thought it was next summer. 

You probably aren’t getting anything more than a mid-round pick or a marginal prospect for Kinkaid. I’d rather keep him than trade him for that.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

You probably aren’t getting anything more than a mid-round pick or a marginal prospect for Kinkaid. I’d rather keep him than trade him for that.

This is kind of where I land on trading Kinkaid, while I think Cory can regain his form after getting healthy and that encouraging playoff performance, there's certainly no guarantees and I wouldn't toss away a solid option in Kinkaid for a marginal return. Best case scenario I think for Kinkaid would be getting a struggling prospect and hope he can realize that initial potential, in the case of the Islanders I'm saying that with someone like Michael Dal Colle in mind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

8 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I wouldn't toss away a solid option in Kinkaid for a marginal return. 

I wouldn't either. I'm especially not looking to give a division rival their #1 goalie for a marginal return. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn't either. I'm especially not looking to give a division rival their #1 goalie for a marginal return. 

I especially agree with that in the case of the Islanders, they would really have to make it worth our while. I'm more so talking about the concept as a whole beyond a trade with the Islanders, if say Ottawa came calling for Kinkaid it would need to be well worth our while as well.

5 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I especially agree with that in the case of the Islanders, they would really have to make it worth our while. I'm more so talking about the concept as a whole beyond a trade with the Islanders, if say Ottawa came calling for Kinkaid it would need to be well worth our while as well.

There's really no one that's offering anything right now that's better than having a very dependable backup.  Best thing to do would be to wait for next season to get underway and see if there's a team that really gets desperate.  Ottawa could very well be that team if it doesn't want to find itself in a position where someone else is selecting Jack Hughs with their draft pick.  Toronto did the same thing to keep us from getting Lindros, but we ended up getting the better player anyway.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

There's really no one that's offering anything right now that's better than having a very dependable backup.  Best thing to do would be to wait for next season to get underway and see if there's a team that really gets desperate.  Ottawa could very well be that team if it doesn't want to find itself in a position where someone else is selecting Jack Hughs with their draft pick.  Toronto did the same thing to keep us from getting Lindros, but we ended up getting the better player anyway.

It will be super interesting to see what Ottawa does this year.  There is nothing more demoralizing for a fan base than to suck without the light at the end of the tunnel that is a top pick.  I can't imagine Karlsson plans to sign long term with that Owner either, so that's going to blow up eventually as well.   

On that note, I really do hope Shero holds out on spending our cap space for a big fish like Tavares or EK or possibly holding out into next season for the next wave of stars if necessary.    Looking at where SJ and Kane just set the UFA market for inconstant wingers, I really hope we don't spend a ton of money on the JVRs and other secondary players of the world.   I'm even a little skeptical on committing huge dollars to John Carlsson even though I know he addresses a big hole.     

Snow and Weight out, LL appointed GM. Interesting.

Seems pretty certain that JT sticks now.

26 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yep, would be really surprised if he didn't convince Tavares to stay. 

I also knew he would can Weight and Snow.  Called it a few weeks back.  Was pretty confident he wouldn't want to keep them around, and frankly, didn't think they'd wanna be around either (well, at least not Snow)

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So hard to tell.  Some days I think that JT's just going to re-sign and make all of the JT talk very anticlimactic...some remember the guys that Lou "let get away" and make it sound like that was a constant occurrence, but often forgotten is that Lou also kept his fair share of players too (and in better days would find ways to replace them from within).  Other days I think JT at least tests the market pretty heavily.  He really has nothing to lose by waiting...a guy like him is going to get paid...sure, he can get an extra year if he stays put, but I'm not sure with recent Islander history, that the extra year is much motivation to not at least take a week (or longer) to see what's out there.

If I'm a player like JT who's still fairly young but who only has so many prime years left (he'll be 28 by the start of next season) and is probably going to sign for a minimum of six years, I gotta wonder what kind of long-term plan is in place with Lou running the show.  Low will be friggin' 76 years old in October...he may still have some energy now, but just like a player in his mid-late 30s is very much season-to-season, it's really hard to know what kind of shape Lou will be in come 2019 and beyond. 

I'm still not entirely certain Tavares is a lock to stay, canning Snow and Weight is obviously a good step but I'm not convinced JT has so much respect for Lou that he's not going to leave. Other stars have left Lou in the past, and this one has never worked with him and in turn has no sense of loyalty to him.

The Isles canning Weight is so deserved I'm surprised it wasn't speculated more on as the season drew to a close. The Isles' defensive core isn't anything to write home about but their performance, or lack thereof, I would pin more on coaching and scheme. A colossal failure on that level for the defense shouldn't happen to a group with Nick Leddy, Johnny Boychuk, and Calvin de Haan on it, who are all very solid players.

Edited by CommonDreads

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Seems like there's very little reason for him to sign any deal now, rather than wait 3 weeks and see who else is offering what. 

I think he sees his market; any chance of a long-term deal before Free Agency opens (at least in my opinion) has passed. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yep, would be really surprised if he didn't convince Tavares to stay. 

This is the guy who's let Rafalski, Gomez, Parise, and Scott fvcking Niedermayer walk -- four of the most "holy sh!t" UFAs to hit the road in their time. He's also a guy who didn't even offer Patrik Elias a contract after his deal expired, because he "assumed" they were priced out of the market.  It took a call from Elias to Lou, after the Rangers were the highest bidder, to keep #26 from wearing broadway blue. 

Lou is a lot of great things, and he brought 3 cups to our team. But nobody's going to confuse him as a free-agent mastermind. 

Edited by Kinkyisth3b3st
Mad Dog made me cry
  • Like 2

Tavares probably will re-sign with the Islanders, but he’d be nuts not to wait three weeks and see what the market bears at this point. He’s waited this long.....

This is the guy who's let Rafalski, Gomez, and Parise walk -- three of the most "holy sh!t" UFAs to hit the road in their time. He's also a guy who didn't even offer Patrik Elias a contract after his deal expired, because he "assumed" they were priced out of the market.  It took a call from Elias to Lou, after the Rangers were the highest bidder, to keep #26 from wearing broadway blue. 
Lou is a lot of great things, and he brought 3 cups to our team. But nobody's going to confuse him as a free-agent mastermind. 

You forgot Niedermayer.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

You forgot Niedermayer.

I drank enough alcohol to forget Niedermayer. 

• Like 2

I drank enough alcohol to forget Niedermayer. 

I tried to smoke enough weed, but sadly, I haven’t forgotten. [emoji14]

On 5/23/2018 at 2:00 PM, mfitz804 said:

DeHann is a UFA as well as Hickey. We have a good tandem going into next year.  If Lou really wants KK, I think it'll cost him a 2nd rounder?