Sign in to follow this  
mikemarc1

Lou out at Toronto Named Dir Hockey for Isles

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

Brian Burke refused to trade Rob to NJ because he knew it improved his chance of getting Scott. So Lou tried.

Pretty sure I remember reading that Lou had tried to get Rob to keep Scott. It was well known by that time that Scott had done everything he wanted to in his career except play with his brother. Smart move by Burke to hold out. Knowing Lou, I'm almost surprised he even bothered to try for Rob since catering to a single player isn't his MO... even if they are superstar caliber.

I almost forgot Rob eventually did come play in New Jersey for a year at the end of his career too.

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Pretty sure I remember reading that Lou had tried to get Rob to keep Scott. It was well known by that time that Scott had done everything he wanted to in his career except play with his brother. Smart move by Burke to hold out. Knowing Lou, I'm almost surprised he even bothered to try for Rob since catering to a single player isn't his MO... even if they are superstar caliber.

I almost forgot Rob eventually did come play in New Jersey for a year at the end of his career too.

Losing Niedermayer and Stevens in one offseason would be a pretty damn tough pill to swallow. It happened, yet, somehow, the team made the playoffs the next 6 years. Pretty crazy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ugg how could one forget the years of Special Nieds.

22 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wasn't Neidermayer basically pulled to Anaheim by a magnetic force, aka Rob?  Not saying Lou failing to re-sign some of those other big names wasn't a free agent fallacy, but from what I remember, it seemed that Niedermayer was pretty adamant about wanting to play with his brother, and I think him going to the Ducks was more or less based on that, rather than some blunder by Lou who was either surprised, or did nothing at all, to try to get him to stay.  Not to mention he was 32 when he left us - not over the hill per se, but hardly a spring chicken, and not at all like we let some young promising star slip away who went on to have an amazing career and light up the league.  Dude only played 5 more years.

I firmly believe that Nieds was the best player in hockey for a couple of seasons until Crosby really came into his own in his second season.

• Like 1

I firmly believe that Nieds was the best player in hockey for a couple of seasons until Crosby really came into his own in his second season.

No question he was. He had just won a Norris with us in 2004, and he was a dominant player for Anaheim in his first couple of years there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Rafalski - that was a bad one. He was ready to stay for a reasonable price and Lou used his "if you've got time, use it" theory and detroit came in with a blow away offer that NJ didn't want to match.

Gomez took highest dollar and wasn't going to sign for less. That was a good decision by Lou to let him go.

Parise - Lou had his chance but Vanderbeek's finances were non-existant and he wanted kovy over Parise so Lou couldn't lock him up early. Parise wanted to go home. Devils offered enough to keep him.

Neidermayer - Lou did everything possible to keep him (max contract, trying to trade for Rob) but he left to play with his brother. Lou's issue might have been not extending him earlier and treating him like sh!t through various arbitration hearings but whatever.

Elias - Lou simply got lucky. He was insanely stupid to even let Elias get to the point of being ready to go to Chicago or the Rangers. Lou essentially lucked into keeping Elias.

---

As for JT - Lou just got here. Whatever Tavares does, assuming Lou doesn't low ball him, there's not much Lou can do about it other than convince him that things will be different with him at the helm. The JT situation and how Lou handled big guys for NJ do not compare.

I never liked how he just let Mogilny walk after the 2001 cup loss.   I seem to remember Mogilny wanting to re-sign and i don't think he asked for the moon either like Gomez did.  That was the beginning of the dismantling of the best top 6 we ever had ('00 and '01) followed shortly thereafter by the Arnott and Sykora trades which I also still hate.        

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I never liked how he just let Mogilny walk after the 2001 cup loss.   I seem to remember Mogilny wanting to re-sign and i don't think he asked for the moon either like Gomez did.  That was the beginning of the dismantling of the best top 6 we ever had ('00 and '01) followed shortly thereafter by the Arnott and Sykora trades which I also still hate.        

In defense of the Arnott and Sykora trades, Langenbrunner and Friesen were big parts of that 2003 Cup winning team, Langenbrunner was unstoppable in the first two rounds and we likely don't get past Ottawa without Friesen. Would we have done it anyways with Arnott and Sykora? It's possible, but I think it's just worth pointing out.

• Like 2

Just now, CommonDreads said:

In defense of the Arnott and Sykora trades, Langenbrunner and Friesen were big parts of that 2003 Cup winning team, Langenbrunner was unstoppable in the first two rounds and we likely don't get past Ottawa without Friesen. Would we have done it anyways with Arnott and Sykora? It's possible, but I think it's just worth pointing out.

Yeah, I realize that since we won the 2003 cup anyway, it's a somewhat moot point.  Still, it always nagged me that he broke up that 00-01 juggernaut before he should have.  It's like he got sick of curb stomping the rest of the league and decided to go back to trying to eek out 2-1 wins all the time. 

Langenbrunner had a nice career for us but Friesen, Tverdovsky and Nieuweydyk were all gone relatively fast after the last cup.       

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, it's possible.  Some people peak late.  Not saying he still wasn't productive, just that it was a pretty short window, and no one would say that we didn't get a lot out of him up to that point either.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don't find it too hard to believe.  There's not a huge rush, is there?  Plus I imagine any head coach is going to want to know what the deal is with Tavares before inking any sort of deal.  At least I would.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't find it too hard to believe.  There's not a huge rush, is there?  Plus I imagine any head coach is going to want to know what the deal is with Tavares before inking any sort of deal.  At least I would.

More like the other way around.  I would think that any UFA that was thinking of signing with LI would like to know who their coach was going to be before they sign on the dotted line.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

More like the other way around.  I would think that any UFA that was thinking of signing with LI would like to know who their coach was going to be before they sign on the dotted line.

Yeah that's true too, if I was a player I would definitely want to know and be curious who my next coach is gonna be, but Tavares is a top 10 player in the league, and would probably be more valuable than just about anyone you could hire as the next head coach, so I think getting him squared away takes precedence over finding a new coach.  The opening as the Isles bench boss is a lot less attractive if #91 isn't sitting on it.

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah that's true too, if I was a player I would definitely want to know and be curious who my next coach is gonna be, but Tavares is a top 10 player in the league, and would probably be more valuable than just about anyone you could hire as the next head coach, so I think getting him squared away takes precedence over finding a new coach.  The opening as the Isles bench boss is a lot less attractive if #91 isn't sitting on it.

I think attracting a coach to sign is a lot easier than a top 10 in the league player.  There are only 31 HC positions in the NHL and only a couple are vacant right now.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 3:31 PM, Lateralous said:

Yeah, I realize that since we won the 2003 cup anyway, it's a somewhat moot point.  Still, it always nagged me that he broke up that 00-01 juggernaut before he should have.  It's like he got sick of curb stomping the rest of the league and decided to go back to trying to eek out 2-1 wins all the time. 

Langenbrunner had a nice career for us but Friesen, Tverdovsky and Nieuweydyk were all gone relatively fast after the last cup.       

It was a much different league with much different ideas about salaries.  Lou thought the A-line was complacent and he was probably right.  Back then, players were on short-term contracts so if you knew you and a player had a different idea about how valuable they were, that would often result in a player not signing a deal and waiting for a better one.  Elias was up for a new contract at the end of 2002 and so was Sykora.  

32 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think that would be more likely than the reverse. Maybe if you're Barry Trotz you get to think that way coming off winning a Stanley Cup, but there's plenty of guys out there that would consider that job regardless. 

If I were Lou, naming a coach before July 1 (and possibly significantly before) would be my top priority for fear that instability and/or the wrong candidate would chase JT from town. 

Unless, of course, JT already told them he's going to test the market and/or won't be back. But, not having JT to sign also means that money being available to sign another significant free agent, so you're right back to the same issue. 

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that would be more likely than the reverse. Maybe if you're Barry Trotz you get to think that way coming off winning a Stanley Cup, but there's plenty of guys out there that would consider that job regardless. 

There's plenty of guys that would consider it, of course, but my point and rationale was more along the lines of guys who are worth anything.  Call me crazy, but I can't see any half decent coach wanting to sign a contract when the face of that franchise is completely up in the air.  

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

There's plenty of guys that would consider it, of course, but my point and rationale was more along the lines of guys who are worth anything.  Call me crazy, but I can't see any half decent coach wanting to sign a contract when the face of that franchise is completely up in the air.  

I understand what you're saying, but I would think the reverse is more of a reason to fill that vacancy. JT is obviously the biggest (presumed) free agent in years, and he should have his choice of at least 4-5 landing spots. I have to think that a team not having a coach is probably points against that team. If he signs there, it will be for 8 years. He is going to want to know the direction of the team. 

All of this is, of course, an academic argument in that I do not believe a team will go into the Draft and Free Agency without a coach in place. Anyone recall a time when that happened? Not saying it didn't, but I don't recall one. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I understand what you're saying, but I would think the reverse is more of a reason to fill that vacancy. JT is obviously the biggest (presumed) free agent in years, and he should have his choice of at least 4-5 landing spots. I have to think that a team not having a coach is probably points against that team. If he signs there, it will be for 8 years. He is going to want to know the direction of the team. 

All of this is, of course, an academic argument in that I do not believe a team will go into the Draft and Free Agency without a coach in place. Anyone recall a time when that happened? Not saying it didn't, but I don't recall one. 

Yeah I hear that for sure.  I guess if I'm Lou, I'm confident in my ability to convey to JT that we will get the right man for the job.  I would try to obtain his trust, and that might not be all that hard to do, considering my background and tenure in the league.

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I hear that for sure.  I guess if I'm Lou, I'm confident in my ability to convey to JT that we will get the right man for the job.  I would try to obtain his trust, and that might not be all that hard to do, considering my background and tenure in the league.

I guess so. Its not like its basketball, where LeBron basically gets to decide who coaches the team. I still think its more important to have a coach to attract free agents rather than having guys signed to attract a coach. I feel like a coach is willing to put a few years into development where a guy like JT is going to want to play for a winner. 

Could be wrong. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Typical Lou.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Typical Lou.

Andy Greene, my man, Andy Greene!! Come and get him!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Andy Greene, my man, Andy Greene!! Come and get him!!!

Greene for the #12 pick in the 2018 draft.  Make it happen Lou!  You know you want to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What's up, Isles?  Coach or player, who even wants to go there?  And aren't supposed to be moving, as well?  Wow!