Should the Devils trade Palmieri?

njbuff

I think he should be included in whatever package the Devils purpose in any trade talks this off season, but I obviously have no idea how he is valued around the NHL.

He is not big...... never wins a puck battle........ falls down a lot........... and is not an asset in the defensive and neutral zones.

He can shoot the puck, but that’s about all he brings to the table.

He has been a solid soldier here, but for the Devils to move up the Championship contenders ladder, they need to move on from Palmieri.

Thoughts?

He provides points,  50+ per 80 games... something  that only two other players on the team did.. at 5 mil he's solid as they come from a value prospective.. .. he was important during our playoff run  yes he's streaky but I think you're off base here. We need secondary scoring as much as defense

• Like 6

Palmieri is definitely streaky but he is consistent season after season. He's effective on the PP, he seems like a good experienced teammate and leader, he can throw the hits. He is not a problem in my opinion and is a part of our offensive core. He has 3 years left on his deal and is 27 years old. There is no doubt in my mind he can keep those numbers or improve them as he isn't really showing signs of falling off and as the young guys around him getting better.

He's a keeper for now in my opinion, and I have no doubt he'll be here for a while still. 

• Like 2

The only correct answer is “for who”?

The idea that they NEED to get rid of him is ridiculous. He’s a solid forward, streaky for sure, but not a guy I look at and say gee, he’s holding us back. 

That said, I definitely do not consider him untouchable. If, like Daniel said, he is a necessary piece in obtaining a stud defenseman, you probably have to do it. You have to give something to get something, while I’d love Ottawa to give us Karlsson for Andy Greene and Pavel Zacha, that’s not happening. 

I can agree with the fact that he falls a lot, though. My man’s skates probably look brand new because he’s barely ever on them. 

Guys, I raised this question cause a lot of Devils fans I talk to and on this board have complained about Palmieri. They mention the very things I brought up.

Just as an example, you look at a lot GDT's and you see a lot of folks complaining about Palmieri.

Believe it or not, he is actually my cousin (by marriage and he wouldn't know me if he hit me in the head with a puck)........ so I should stick up for him? Right?

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Guys, I raised this question cause a lot of Devils fans I talk to and on this board have complained about Palmieri. They mention the very things I brought up.

Just as an example, you look at a lot GDT's and you see a lot of folks complaining about Palmieri.

Believe it or not, he is actually my cousin (by marriage and he wouldn't know me if he hit me in the head with a puck)........ so I should stick up for him? Right?

The only guys that probably never get sh!t during GDTs are Hall and Nico.  

50 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That's an awful way to measure how general feelings are for players.  Outside of Nico and Hall everyone else got bitched out by at least some people here at some point.

the only time Palms got any crap on here was when he was on a 10-12 game slump.  He still was on pace for a 33ish goal season over 82 games if it wasn't for his two serious injuries this year.  He is one of the least of our problems.

• Like 3

Palms is streaky within seasons (and as others have noted, with the injuries earlier this year, it took him a while to find a groove), but the guy is a solid player and a good goal-scorer, and a hard worker who gives it his all just about all of the time.  

Palms got crap on here earlier because some almost automatically assume that not playing well/slumping means that the player suddenly doesn't care and is only interested in collecting a paycheck.  But yeah, DM84 said it perfectly...Palms is the least of the Devils' issues right now.  Unless you're getting something really good back for him, I don't see why the Devils should trade him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Colorado Rockies 1976 will have none of this.

I would definitely be very very sorry to see him go, but I can't say he's 100% untouchable.  I'd have to see what the Devils would get back before declaring "NO WAY, ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

I'd be very surprised to see him moved though...just don't think Shero's even considering it.

• Like 1

Also fair to remember that Palms averages 29 goals and 27 assists per 82 GP, on 13.4% shooting.  His cap hit is $4.65 million per season over the next three years.  And he's only 27 years old. 

If you had to go try to sign a UFA to put up similar numbers, does anyone think you're getting him for less than that $4.65 mil per year?  It's not like he hasn't lived up to his deal or is any kind of detriment.  Don't even understand why the OP has suddenly decided that friggin' Palms of all people is not worthy of playing on a contending team.  He's a solidly good player on a very reasonable deal for what he brings (and in fairness, it seems like everyone outside of the OP gets that). 

• Like 1